Old 5 Nov 18, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Minnie Mum View Post
Yum. The sushi and crocnut look great. 😊
The Cronut was amazing!

Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I love Shake Shack - those crinkle fries are so good!

Dominique Ansel's was so amazing, we went twice. I had the Kouign Aman both times, which was good (although not as good as ones we had in San Francisco). the specialty cronut when we went was pumpkin (October last year) and my friend said it was really tasty.

I don't generally like sushi but that does look good - I love shrimp tempura!
Those chips are so good aren’t they?! We actually went back later in the trip and tried the Kouigan Aman but we didn’t like it as much as the Cronut.
disjunkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

Day 3 -September 11th

I had a bit of an upset stomach this morning so skipped breakfast, Neil went down and had his then brought me back up bit of cake. It was poppy seed and cream cheese loaf and was really good!

We walked the High line this morning (which I loved), visited Brooklyn and took a ferry back to East Manhattan. It was still very cloudy but at least mostly dry.

For lunch we ate at a restaurant called Fig & Olive, there are about 4 of them in Manhattan, they had good reviews and a $31 prix fixe lunch menu that sounded good.

Again it was a little restaurant with tightly packed tables, but I think that’s par the course in NYC. Their cocktails sounded amazing but I didn’t want to chance alcohol yet so had a boring lemonade.

We were given bread with olive oil and balsamic to start, I’m not normally that big a fan of olive oil but this was very lemony and worked really well with the balsamic.

This place is known for their crostini apparently so Neil added the crostini tasting for $8. These were all tasty but the one at the front with the burrata and pesto was fantastic.

I had the croquette tasting for my appetizer. These were so good! One was prosciutto and cheese, the right one was artichoke and the middle was mushroom, the mushroom one was heaven. I could have just had a bowl of those and been happy.

Neil had salmon crudo with pomegranate, grapefruit and citrus dressing, this was also very good with the salmon being nice and fresh.

For my main I had the Riviera salmon, with a citrus glaze, cauliflower cous cous and lemon purée. This was delicious, the salmon was cooked to a perfect medium, the cous cous fruity and the lemon puree flavourful.

Neil had the roasted sweetcorn risotto which he said was very good.

There were only 2 desserts to choose from on the prix fixe so we got one of each and shared them. I had the pot de creme, which was a very good chocolate ganache topped with dehydrated milk foam and praline.

Neil had the dessert crostini which was the winner out of the two. It was simple but an excellent shortbread biscuit, topped with mascarpone cream, sharp raspberry coulis, fruit and meringue.

We had an open table $20 reward so the bill came to $69 which was amazing value for the food we received in the middle of Manhattan.

After an afternoon chilling we fancied pizza for dinner so found a place called &pizza nearby. It was quick service pizza (similar to Blaze in Disney Springs) where you could create your own or choose one of their signatures, then they make it up in front of you.

We just picked 2 of their signatures, the Gnarlic (garlic ricotta, mozzarella, onion, basil pesto and parmesan) and Moonstruck ( Mushroom, truffle, garlic ricotta, goats cheese and fig balsamic) Both were good but the Gnarlic could have done with a punchier pesto sauce. It was a good cheap dinner at $26

As it was the 9/11 anniversary we went to the roof terrace of our hotel to view a Tribute in Light. Even from so far away it was moving to see such brilliant beams of light where the towers once stood.
disjunkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Your lunch looks lovely. Im looking forward to the Highline.
Must of been very moving being in NY for the 9/11 anniversary 🙏
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 18, 04:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Loving this xx
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 18, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

So sorry to read about Holly I hope your other baby is getting on well with the puppy. We have two cats who are brothers and the thought the day will come we’ll have to say goodbye to one of them makes me feel sick.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 18, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The High Line is categorically my favourite place in New York. It is so beautiful and such a great use of that space.

Some great eating today - some of my favourite food in new York was at little local places, rather than the big American chains (although we did LOVE Black Tap). Reading your report is making me want to go back already.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 18, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Minnie Mum View Post
Your lunch looks lovely. Im looking forward to the Highline.
Must of been very moving being in NY for the 9/11 anniversary 🙏
The high line is fab, i’m Sure you’ll enjoy.

Originally Posted by Floridaagogo View Post
Loving this xx
Thank you

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
So sorry to read about Holly I hope your other baby is getting on well with the puppy. We have two cats who are brothers and the thought the day will come we’ll have to say goodbye to one of them makes me feel sick.
Thank you. Although she had a good life with us and her diagnosis gave us a couple of months to prepare losing her was still heartbreaking. Max adores Willow though and watching them bond has been lovely.

Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
The High Line is categorically my favourite place in New York. It is so beautiful and such a great use of that space.

Some great eating today - some of my favourite food in new York was at little local places, rather than the big American chains (although we did LOVE Black Tap). Reading your report is making me want to go back already.
It is so pretty isn’t it, and lovely to be able to walk for a distance without having to stop at traffic lights! I really fancied Black Tap but we never got round to it.
Old 8 Nov 18, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

Day 4 - September 12th

It was an early start today as we were off to see the Statue of Liberty. We had our usual breakfast at Hyatt House again.

We managed to make the 8:30 ferry and see the Statue. It was a very foggy morning so the views were disappointing but I’m still glad we did it.

We viewed some of the museaum at Ellis Island which was fascinating, then stopped for a break at the Café there. I had a Frappuccino, Neil had a Latte and we shared a Black and White cookie. I wasn’t too keen on the cookie as I felt it was overly sweet but Neil liked it.

After getting back to manhattan we explored more of downtown then went to this tiny (like smaller than a typical living room!) Sicilian restaurant in soho called Piccola Cucina. There were about 13 tables in here, all incredibly tightly packed but we were lucky and got one right next to the window which had a little more space and was great for people watching. They run an 11 dollar lunch special, where a range of appetisers and pasta dishes are all reduced to $11. We split a burrata to start with tomatoes olive salad, the salad was basic but the cheese was good quality and very creamy.

For my main I chose Wild boar tagliatelle with truffle. This was truly amazing, the best pasta i’ve ever had, the pasta was fresh and perfectly made, the boar sauce was great and the truffle paste in the centre was just packed with flavour.

Neil had squid ink pasta with calamari, this was also good but very rich. Before tip and tax the food was only $33 - absolute bargain! In total with 2 glasses of wine and tip lunch came to $69.

As the restaurant was directly across from Dominique Ansel we felt we had to pop back in and sample some of their other goodies! This time round we got a DKA and a salted caramel eclair.

They have the Team DKA or Team Cronut thing going on, well I’m definitely team cronut. The DKA was good but it wasn’t on cronut level for me. The éclair was fab, the salted caramel filling had a really pronounced flavor and just the right amount of salt.

That evening we went to see the Flat Iron then up to Times Square (never again!). We didn’t fancy a big meal so stopped by a deli near our hotel called Sundar Fancy food. They had a massive range of hot and cold food but we eventually settled on sandwiches. I had the Chicken parmesan panini, this was far bigger than it looks in the picture, it was packed full of chicken and must have weighed about 2lbs! Neil had a veggie mozzarella panini which was a more reasonable size than mine, both were $8. I also got a freshly squeezed orange juice, this was expensive at nearly $6 but it was just pure oranges juiced so tasted amazing.

Old 8 Nov 18, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Piccola Cucina looks lovely for lunch. 😊
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
00swan
Imagineer

00swan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Lovely to see some non-chain places to eat - your NY food looks amazing

* Orlando: 2006/2007/2010/2014/2016/2017/2018/2019
+ new booking Apr/May 2022

* New York/Orlando mix: 2012

* New York: May 2015/Dec 2021
00swan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List