Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 12 Nov 18, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

The one where we forgot what ‘hungry’ feels like

Leading up to our September trip I had great plans - we would do a live trip report. Ok, that’s probably not going to happen - let’s take loads of notes and pictures of everything and upload detailed day by day trip report with loads on photos of the parks and the rides - it will be amazing!

Soooooooooo - I basically only took photos of food and even then forgot some of it. It is also over a month since we got back, and as I didn’t ever make any notes, some of the finer details are already disappearing into the depths of time.

So our grand extravaganza of a trip report shall now be a collection of food photos with the bits that I can remember thrown in for fun.

In the immortal words of Adam the Woo - join us, shall you?

Pre travel & travel day

We took a steady drive to Gatwick and arrived at about 3:30. We dropped our car off with Maple manor and headed over to the Premier Inn. We had called a few months before and asked for a room with a view of the runway - we were up on the 10th floor with a fantastic view right over the whole airport.

I found the premier inn very chaotic. It was just mayhem in the bar/restaurant area that evening. Not very relaxing!

The next morning at breakfast things were a lot calmer which was a relief! We spent some time watching planes take off and land before heading over to the departure lounge.

Our flight took off on time and we were seated in the bubble. The person sat next to mr Clamshell looked like that plane was the last place he wanted to be. I’m guessing a few too many drinks the night before 🤢😁.

The flight seemed to go on forever but eventually we landed and were through immigration in no time. The Magical Express was as great as always and within no time we were at our second home POFQ 🎉🎉😃.

We were pretty shattered so just got our resort mugs, unpacked, had a little stroll and went to bed.

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Day 1

As usual, today started at about 4am. We got up and showered and got some drinks, and went to watch the sunrise.

sunrise over the sassagoula river

We caught a bus to EPCOT ready for EMH rope drop and walked with the crowds to Test Track. It feels surprisingly fast as the first ride for 2 years!

After that we managed all the usual suspects including nemo, soarin, living with the land, spaceship earth and the gran fiesta tour.

Along the way we shared a few snacks including:

A cinnamon roll from sunshine seasons

This was lovely and warm 😃

New Brunswick slider, lobster roll and carrot cake with warm cream frosting

I wasn’t a fan of the slider, but I don’t like horseradish. Mr Clamshell said it was lovely. I, on the other hand, really liked the lobster roll. It was warm, the roll was toasty and the mayo/butter was lovely and herby.

When we collected our carrot cake, we were chatting to the staff and the guy who handed as our cake asked them to put an extra scoop of frosting on, hence the little plate of loveliness!

It was scorching hot by this point and we dived in to the American Adventure to cool off for a bit.

At the Moroccan pavilion we had to partake of a moroccorita - purely to cool off, you understand!
If I remember correctly, this is a vodka, lemon & lime slushy 😉

Moroccorita

This wasn’t very well frozen but was still cooling and refreshing 👍

We had a 5:30 reservation at the Ale & Compass and by now it was about 3:30. We suddenly noticed that the heat had gone from scorching hot to unbearably stifling. We were by the France pavilion so decided to head out of the international gateway and head to the yacht/Beach Club. It just got hotter and hotter and as we were getting close, the odd raindrop started to fall

As we rushing to the door, there was time for one quick photo of the ominous sky

Much darker and it would be night!

Within seconds of walking inside, it was pouring down so we were lucky!

We mooched about until our reservation time, then off we went to our first ever table service restaurant in WDW.

We both ended up having the same thing for both courses

10oz New York strip steak

This was really lovely and we both hoovered it up in no time 😁

Trio of puddings

This was absolutely my cup of tea! The berry pudding was sharp, the other 2 were sweet and silky. Neither of us managed to finish it, but had a great time trying!

We both had cocktails - they were happy to make me a cosmopolitan, even though it wasn’t on the menu. Mr Clamshell had something that involved apple purée, which he liked.

Yum!

We used 2 TS credits to pay and waddled, bellies full, back to EPCOT.

From memory, we didn’t stay too long after this as we hit the wall! We headed back and crashed out.

Total distance walked - 14.7km

Total steps - 22,704

Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great start! Looking forward to reading more. That’s the second time I’ve seen that Lobster Roll today! Must look out for it next year!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 18, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Didn't think about room request for Premier Inn - thanks for the tip, will try this one for next year!
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 18, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I am such a sucker for the cocktails with brilliant names! How have I not had a Morrocorita before? That looked yummy! Ha ha, it's on my list for next year.

Oh and please include lots of photos of POFQ as we're staying there for the first time next summer! I'm already excited about it.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 18, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Day 2

Day 2 was Magic Kingdom extra magic hours morning. We arrived nice and early and headed up Main Street with the masses and took the path to the right of the castle. We were held on the bridge until 8am when the stampede to 7DMT started. Some people were running past us! We made our way to the mine train and were on it in no time. After that we rode pretty much everything on the left hand side of the park, before stopping into Columbia Harbour House for lunch.

Trio of shrimp, chicken nuggets and fish

Chicken pot pie

This was fine - nothing special.

In the afternoon we headed over to the other side of the park and spent the afternoon there.

Magic kingdom was closing early so we headed back to POFQ to freshen up as we had a reservation that night for the Boathouse.

We caught the boat down to springs and had a stroll around before checking in.

Boathouse barbecue bacon burger

This was great. The fries were amazing and I would love to have been able to finish it!

Turkey club sandwich

Mr Clamshell enjoyed this a lot but it was so enormous that i don’t think he finished it.

After dinner we were shattered so caught the boat back and crashed out.

KM walked - 11.7

Number of steps - 18581

Old 14 Nov 18, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

A great start. I love POFQ too
Unexpectedpenny is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Great start x
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 18, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Great start, following!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 18, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Sorry everyone, have been out of action with the mother of all colds! Back to it now, although the details of each day are disappearing into the past 😂

Day 3 - Animal Kingdom

Today started with EMH at Animal kingdom. We were up bright and early and through the AK turnstiles with the intrepid early birds.

What happened next was hilarious as it was like a crazy stampede. We walked at a good pace towards Pandora with the intention of getting on FOP. People were running past us virtually shoving people out of the way trying to gain a few spaces in the queue. I haven’t ever seen anything like it. We just kept up our steady pace and by 8:10 had experienced FOP for the first time. It is a fantastic ride and worth running the gauntlet for!

Breakfast was caramelised pecans which were amazing!

We then spent the morning on the safari, the walking trails and then over to Everest. I think it safe to say that we aren’t cut out for Everest! It always makes mr Clamshell feel unwell, and the last 2 times I have been on it, I get a splitting headache within a few hours.

Feeling fragile, we headed for lunch at the Yak and Yeti.

I was really looking forward to this, but I think perhaps the after effects of Everest and the searing heat, meant that I was flagging at this point and feeling pretty dreadful. I don’t have the best memories of this meal, but I don’t think that was anything to do with the location.

Yak attack and another un named cocktail

Whilst these were lovely, I don’t think they helped how I was feeling! 🤔

Bhaktapur duck with jasmine Rice

This was my choice and it was very nice. I’d happily have it again.

Teriyaki steak and firecracker shrimp

This was a special and Mr Clamshell really enjoyed it.

Pineapple upside down cake

I think this was a hit - I don’t recall there being any left!

Pineapple wontons

If I was feeling better, these would have been amazing. As it was I picked the best bits and I believe Mr Clamshell polished off what was left.

We left the restaurant and it was so hot that we decided to head back to the resort for a rest. We both slept the afternoon away and felt better for it.

That evening, we just pottered over to ScatCats for a drink and to listen to the live music before calling it a night.

Glowtini

Lovely as always!

Whiskey flight

They all tasted the same apparently!

From memory, we always hit a wall about 3 days in, and today was definitely that day!

Steps - 21009

13.6 km walked