Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Feb 19, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
honeybun1989
Imagineer

Originally Posted by arisser View Post
That sounds good to me! I know I recommended the JR Pass for trains in my first post but if you're flying into Tokyo and out of Osaka then you'll only be taking the shinkansen one way and therefore the JR Pass might not be the best deal. I'd suggest planning what day trips you want to take and then working out if you'll actually save money or whether you're better off paying out of pocket for trains. I didn't get the JR Pass as I was also only taking the shinkansen one way, and I ended up saving money this way.

Be aware that often there are several train options for the same journey and these can vary hugely in both journey time and price. There are loads of resources online to help you plan ahead though!
Thanks once again!
You have been a great help!
honeybun1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by honeybun1989 View Post
Sounds great!

Everyone has been very helpful with information but I think I feel more confused than before 😊
I’m not sure wether to fly into Tokyo and out of Osaka or into Osaka and out of Tokyo ..
Or just fly in and out of Tokyo
Ha ha! You can see I’m very confused!
I’m also unsure how long to stay in each place and what areas are best for hotels .. we’re thinking if Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto and have the options of day trips inbetween ..
As i said I’m really confused!
Ping me a PM when you fancy it, am free most weekends at some point for Glasgow or Edinburgh, and early evening during week if meeting in Glasgow area.

Be good to have a Disney/ Japan natter with someone
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Mobile

There is a Jr pass calculator online which if you input your travel plans will give you a rough idea what is a better cost.

We went to Japan for first time in September and are heading back this year as we loved it so much
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
honeybun1989
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone, you’ve all been a great help!
honeybun1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Thanks so much for this thread.SO interesting. My DS is also mad about Japan and really really wants to go there. I'd love to take him but as i'm very plus size, and they are such a dainty race,i'm a bit worried about seating, bed size etc etc.
I know that must sound a bit silly,but its not to me. I'd hate to feel uncomfortable over there after such a long trip.

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
honeybun1989
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lam View Post
Thanks so much for this thread.SO interesting. My DS is also mad about Japan and really really wants to go there. I'd love to take him but as i'm very plus size, and they are such a dainty race,i'm a bit worried about seating, bed size etc etc.
I know that must sound a bit silly,but its not to me. I'd hate to feel uncomfortable over there afte such a long trip.
We told our son tonight, he’s so excited!

Not silly at all if it’s worrying you!
Please don’t let anything put you off, there are different shapes and sizes all over the world, I’m sure you would be fine!
My son is 6ft 4” he will no doubt stand out
xx
Old 15 Feb 19, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggerific2018
Helping Mickey

Mobile

Originally Posted by honeybun1989 View Post
Hi, the stopover is 1hr 35 mins .. will that be enough time? The total flight time is 19hrs ..
Thanks for the info
I have a feeling I might be too late, but I wanted to weigh in. Emirates officially says an hour, but you are cutting it very very close at 1h 35. I haven’t been to Japan but I fly Glasgow to Australia regularly, always through Dubai with generally a 1 h 55m layover outward bound, and I don’t think the Glasgow flight has ever not been delayed. You might make it, but if you do then it will be very tight.

Additionally, as someone said, Dubai airport is massive, and it is also under massive construction between now and July, which is making it a mess. The Glasgow flight doesn’t park at a gate, so you need to allow time to get a bus to the terminal and get through 2 security check points. Depending on which Glasgow flight you get, you may be arriving in Dubai at midnight-ish, which is when Dubai airport is at its busiest.

If you are already locked into this flight or you can’t find a better option, you may want to consider using the Marhaba concierge service run by the airport. They meet you off the plane and almost always they use a golf cart to get you through the airport fast. We have been the last people boarding our connecting flight several times, and we would have definitely missed it without Marhaba. Yes, if you are delayed then Emirates will get you on the next available flight, but I would rather not have to deal with that.

I feel bad for being so negative, but I spend a lot of time in Dubai airport so I wanted to pass on my experience. I don’t know if it helps, but if nothing else, you can be a bit more prepared.
Tiggerific2018 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
honeybun1989
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tiggerific2018 View Post
I have a feeling I might be too late, but I wanted to weigh in. Emirates officially says an hour, but you are cutting it very very close at 1h 35. I haven’t been to Japan but I fly Glasgow to Australia regularly, always through Dubai with generally a 1 h 55m layover outward bound, and I don’t think the Glasgow flight has ever not been delayed. You might make it, but if you do then it will be very tight.

Additionally, as someone said, Dubai airport is massive, and it is also under massive construction between now and July, which is making it a mess. The Glasgow flight doesn’t park at a gate, so you need to allow time to get a bus to the terminal and get through 2 security check points. Depending on which Glasgow flight you get, you may be arriving in Dubai at midnight-ish, which is when Dubai airport is at its busiest.

If you are already locked into this flight or you can’t find a better option, you may want to consider using the Marhaba concierge service run by the airport. They meet you off the plane and almost always they use a golf cart to get you through the airport fast. We have been the last people boarding our connecting flight several times, and we would have definitely missed it without Marhaba. Yes, if you are delayed then Emirates will get you on the next available flight, but I would rather not have to deal with that.

I feel bad for being so negative, but I spend a lot of time in Dubai airport so I wanted to pass on my experience. I don’t know if it helps, but if nothing else, you can be a bit more prepared.
Not at all, thank you for the information!
The flight I have booked has a 2hr layover ..
We are going at the end of August so hopefully construction will have finished by then!
Our flight gets into Dubai at 1am..
I have never been to Dubai airport before so I will take your advice and look into the concierge service ..
Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to pass on the information!