Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 9 May 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
k1971
Excited about Disney

Old Town. Worth a trip?

We land on a Friday, staying for 23 nights in Vista del Lago until the last night. our last night is at All Star Music.
Me, DW, and 2 DD, 13 and 12.

We've got a 21 day ultimate Disney ticket so we're not planning to go to the parks until the Sunday; 2 days after we arrive. We need to go to Disney Springs to get our Magic bands on the Saturday, but I'm also thinking about going to Old Town to see the classic car show, for something different to do. Is it worth a trip? we' wont be far away anyway at VdL is my thoughts, and it's free.
k1971 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Yes
If you like cars then you’ll love it. Don’t expectDisney cuteness, this is more how the locals entertain themselves, with line dancing , country music bands, shops selling tat, a great inappropriate T-shirt shop( Tiki Jims... keep your youngsters eyes closed if you go in there.
There’s a new car park out the back and it was $10 last time we visited. You may get lucky and get a kerbside space, but don’t count on it.
Wait for the cruise thro the shopping are just after dark when all the cars parade with lights on music etc.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Mobile

Definitely worth a visit. The old cars are good to see, and the shops are a bit different too,
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
k1971
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Yes
If you like cars then you’ll love it. Don’t expectDisney cuteness, this is more how the locals entertain themselves, with line dancing , country music bands, shops selling tat, a great inappropriate T-shirt shop( Tiki Jims... keep your youngsters eyes closed if you go in there.
There’s a new car park out the back and it was $10 last time we visited. You may get lucky and get a kerbside space, but don’t count on it.
Wait for the cruise thro the shopping are just after dark when all the cars parade with lights on music etc.
I'm all about the inappropriate T-shirts

Sounds like a bit more 'real' than the Disney bubble. I'm the driver, so decision made.
By week 3 I'll have persuaded DW to take that (in)famous photo outside Animal Kingdom...

Joking aside, it sounds like something completely different so I think it's worth a trip.
k1971 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Yep always worth a visit
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

When Old Town first opened it was really great, we loved it. Who remembers the coke for 5c and the Ice Cream in every flavour ? But every year it got seedier and seedier. One year, we hated it, so got back in the car, as we were driving Cockroaches started running inside the car, I have never screamed so much. Revolting.
My absolute nightmare would be to stay at the Motel next door. It must be horrendous. x
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dizzy
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
When Old Town first opened it was really great, we loved it. Who remembers the coke for 5c and the Ice Cream in every flavour ? But every year it got seedier and seedier. One year, we hated it, so got back in the car, as we were driving Cockroaches started running inside the car, I have never screamed so much. Revolting.
My absolute nightmare would be to stay at the Motel next door. It must be horrendous. x
Eeek you've made me itch!

I remember the Coke for 5c. Back in 1993 Old Town was fun. Went again in 2011 and it was just seedy. Admit it wasn't when the car show was on but won't be rushing back.
2013 - OKW - 20th Anniversary
2019 - 4 week Big Birthday Bonanza
Disney Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We went last year and its all been revamped. The roads had all been tarmaced and the whole place was more user friendly. The atmosphere was really good and the locals having a great time. The fumes from all the cars was a bit much though! (as you might expect)!
We parked at the crazy golf place, if you play golf you get parking free, or pay $10 instead, which is what we did.
There is a good Chinese buffet on the other side of the 192, we had a nice meal there one night. Hokaido (sp)! Buffet but decent!
Old 9 May 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Dizzy View Post
Eeek you've made me itch!

I remember the Coke for 5c. Back in 1993 Old Town was fun. Went again in 2011 and it was just seedy. Admit it wasn't when the car show was on but won't be rushing back.
do you remember the guy, who used to come out from the Haunted place and scare the life out of you...…
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
We won't ever be returning to old town. We find it tacky and not a nice/friendly atmosphere.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List