Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 9 May 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Hawaii advice

So would like to go to Hawaii but dont really have a clue. I know I will need to research but could anyone who’s been point me in the direction of areas ect and how long to go for. I know that q is subjective... I was thinking of multitrip with California! I def want to go to Disney hotel
TIA
Old 9 May 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

There have been a few threads in West Coast trip planning.

We’ve been twice in the last two years.

Breaking up the journey is a good idea and Disneyland works for that (but then cuts into Hawaii time).

We did two nights Seattle, five/six hour flight to Oahu (six nights) then Maui (three nights) then Disney six nights, San Diego three. I wouldn’t plan it like that, but we were constrained to being at Disney for those particular six nights.

The other time (I preferred) straight to Oahu (no stopover, via LAX, similar flight time to Seattle) seven nights Oahu, six Big Island, six Maui, one night Anaheim (because we had to stay somewhere and we chose to spend the night at Trader Sams)

Inter island flights are cheap, frequent and quick.

I would start by deciding how much time you’ll have, then figure out which / how many islands you want to visit.

Accommodation in Waikiki Beach varies from reasonable to pricy but lots of options. Disney has a resort (Aulani) 40 minutes from Waikiki. We stayed there and it is beautiful but expensive. I would not have stayed if we weren’t DVC members.

Maui (my favourite) is more expensive and would be hard without a car.

Big Island is an incredible landscape with wonderful beaches, mountains and the volcano among many other perhaps unique attractions.

Also, there are literally hundreds of non Disney hotels within a very short walk of the parks. We have stayed onsite (DVC again) but the last few times I’ve saved considerable money by staying offsite and walking say ten minutes.

Did you have any specific questions?

Edited at 10:10 PM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Karen's far more recent than me as my visit was many years ago, but we flew via San Francisco, staying overnight in the airport hotel, stayed on The Big Island at Mauna Kea Beach Resort and flew home via LA, we arrived early morning and flew on late that evening so spent the day at Universal.

Beautiful place, to this day I can still smell the flowers on the Lai that was put round my neck when we stepped off the plane.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
There have been a few threads in West Coast trip planning.

We’ve been twice in the last two years.

Breaking up the journey is a good idea and Disneyland works for that (but then cuts into Hawaii time).

We did two nights Seattle, five/six hour flight to Oahu (six nights) then Maui (three nights) then Disney six nights, San Diego three. I wouldn’t plan it like that, but we were constrained to being at Disney for those particular six nights.

The other time (I preferred) straight to Oahu (no stopover, via LAX, similar flight time to Seattle) seven nights Oahu, six Big Island, six Maui, one night Anaheim (because we had to stay somewhere and we chose to spend the night at Trader Sams)

Inter island flights are cheap, frequent and quick.

I would start by deciding how much time you’ll have, then figure out which / how many islands you want to visit.

Accommodation in Waikiki Beach varies from reasonable to pricy but lots of options. Disney has a resort (Aulani) 40 minutes from Waikiki. We stayed there and it is beautiful but expensive. I would not have stayed if we weren’t DVC members.

Maui (my favourite) is more expensive and would be hard without a car.

Big Island is an incredible landscape with wonderful beaches, mountains and the volcano among many other perhaps unique attractions.

Also, there are literally hundreds of non Disney hotels within a very short walk of the parks. We have stayed onsite (DVC again) but the last few times I’ve saved considerable money by staying offsite and walking say ten minutes.

Did you have any specific questions?
Hi
I’m so sorry I forgot to come back and take a look
Thank you so much for the detailed response.
We def want to do a bit more in a California and was thinking perhaps a week in Hawaii. The issue I have is there is so much to see everywhere! Would we see enough in that time to feel we have been to Hawaii if that makes sense? We may never get back there so want to feel I have been. Would you go for a bit longer?
Do you do a straight through ticketed flight to Hawaii or get to California and get a separate ticket to Hawaii. I read southwest now go and they are reasonable. Is it expensive to eat? Trying to get rough idea of price so know how long I will be eating beans on toast
Old 11 May 19, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
Karen's far more recent than me as my visit was many years ago, but we flew via San Francisco, staying overnight in the airport hotel, stayed on The Big Island at Mauna Kea Beach Resort and flew home via LA, we arrived early morning and flew on late that evening so spent the day at Universal.

Beautiful place, to this day I can still smell the flowers on the Lai that was put round my neck when we stepped off the plane.
I can’t wait...
Just seen your signature copper creek at Christmas - I want to come in your suitcase
Old 11 May 19, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Hudson
Imagineer

A good few years ago when we went, pre internet. However, we still did it DIY. Booked our flights London, St. Louis (night stop), Honolulu, Maui.
We had a week in Waikiki in an Outrigger hotel. We rented a car for a couple of days and had a look around the island. We took in a sunset dinner cruise, Pearl Harbour, Luau, helicopter flight around the island.
Maui, we rented condo for 6 nights and a car for the duration. Visited the 7 Pools of Hana, went up to the top of the volcano. We also booked last minute flights to the Big Island for a day and rented another car to see lava flows etc.
Probably unlikely that you'll go to Hawaii again due to the distance, cost etc. so I would make the mist of it.
Hudson is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
I can’t wait...
Just seen your signature copper creek at Christmas - I want to come in your suitcase
Hmm it may restrict my Christmas shopping so you can just come on the way out, I'll have to leave you there for the actual Christmas period

Enjoy planning Hawaii, very exciting

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
A good few years ago when we went, pre internet. However, we still did it DIY. Booked our flights London, St. Louis (night stop), Honolulu, Maui.
We had a week in Waikiki in an Outrigger hotel. We rented a car for a couple of days and had a look around the island. We took in a sunset dinner cruise, Pearl Harbour, Luau, helicopter flight around the island.
Maui, we rented condo for 6 nights and a car for the duration. Visited the 7 Pools of Hana, went up to the top of the volcano. We also booked last minute flights to the Big Island for a day and rented another car to see lava flows etc.
Probably unlikely that you'll go to Hawaii again due to the distance, cost etc. so I would make the mist of it.
I know this is why I keep going back to Florida don’t see it all (this is what I tell my DH anyhow lol). This is exactly my thoughts so don’t want to come away thinking I half done it. I know I won’t see everything but want to get feel I can tick it off so to speak
Old 12 May 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
Hmm it may restrict my Christmas shopping so you can just come on the way out, I'll have to leave you there for the actual Christmas period

Enjoy planning Hawaii, very exciting
That’s even better think I could live at Copper Creek!
Thank you. Not sure when might do it 2021 as both daughters will have finished exams(one GCSE and the other Uni) so will be a lovely treat! Just trying to get realistic costs and I really want to stay in the Disney hotel there so need to really budget ha. The problem is I want to do a holiday like that and still go to Florida... I need a lottery win
Old 12 May 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

You will only be able (I would suggest) to do one island with only one week - Natsynoo did a great trip report when she went for five/six days.

Having done nine nights the first time and twenty the second... if a week is all you’ve got then it will be lovely. But I would personally shave time off my other destinations to maximise Hawaii time - it’s a big time investment to get there and you may get a bit more jet lagged (further 3 hours time difference from West Coast).