Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 22 May 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
US via Dublin - Please tell me about it

We have booked with BA for New York trip later this year, and going MAN-DUB-NYC.

Having checked the flight times, we leave MAN at 0810hrs and apparently land at DUB at 0910hrs (although can imagine this to be a little earlier as I know the flight won't be 60 mins). The flight from DUB to NYC leaves at 1050hrs.

On scheduled times this gives us 1hr40 to transit Dublin airport and do the required customs etc.

Is this enough time? What is the procedure through Dublin airport?

Not had the best of luck with flights over the last 12 months, so a little concerned about any possible delays from Manchester and not making the connection... note that it is a through ticket so not 2 separate flights.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this and even if it is worth asking about a flight the day earlier and having a day in Dublin before heading out on the main leg to New York? Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23 May 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile

Anyone help please?
Old 23 May 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I have only flown direct out of Dublin as I live here but would imagine that you have a fairly tight window to get from your flight from Manchester, through Preclearance and on to your flight to NYC.
Preclearance is in T2 Dublin Airport and you would need to check what terminal your Manchester flight is arriving into.
I presume you will stay airside no matter what but as you say if your Manchester flight is delayed it cold be an issue.
We have however flown indirect to the States via LGW from Dublin and would in recent times have flown over the night before and stayed at the airport to be sure of making our connecting flight the next morning (and also to avoid being up at stupid o'clock for the first flight out of Dublin to LGW).
Hopefully someone with experience of flying the route will reply too.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
GKnH
Excited about Disney

I've done MAN - DUB - BOS before and we found the process quite straightforward. You stay airside on arrival in Dublin so no going through baggage pick up, customs etc. When you get off the plane you follow signs for transferring passengers which bring you into the airside of T2. Depending on how much time you have you can get a drink, food and shop here before going into the US pre-clearance (once you go through pre-clearance there is very little by way of refreshments).
Pre-clearance itself was very easy, you go through a process on an automated machine and then go to the manned desk where they will check everything and show you pictures of your hold luggage to get you to verify it is yours. I liked that as it gave me reassurance that our luggage had made it from Man.
I think you've probably got enough time so long as there aren't delays - I reckon you could probably do the whole process in under an hour if you hustled.
Having said that, if I were to do it again I would do the flight to Dub the night before, purely to have a later start in the morning as it seemed a very long day when getting that early flight from Man.
GKnH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
The waltons
Excited about Disney

The waltons's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

If you gonstraight to preclearance it won’t be an issue