Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 23 May 19, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

Will I regret this. Orlando without Disney..

I have been visiting Orlando and Disney for 30 plus years. We have always stayed on site or in a villa, But every stay has involved most days in Disney parks.

I love everything Disney but over the years seen it change so much, Or am I just starting to lose the magic ?

So we started of years back going with the children, They flew the nest so Hubby and myself went alone (really really enjoyed it) great for adults only Then the grandchildren came along and the past couple of years we have gone with our grown up children and grandchildren and stayed between villas and on site, Last year I seemed to enjoy staying away from the parks and didnt visit so often. Some days I stayed in the villa while the family went of to the park.

So for next year just myself and Hubby I have booked a total different holiday, I have booked to stay on International Drive,We are not having a car. I have booked tickets for 3 park Universal, Sea world, Busch Gardens, Aquatica, Discovery Cove. and will then be doing stuff like Ripley's believe it or not. Wonderwork. Plus just enjoy the freedom of walking around the shops, Restaurants, Stopping for a drink when wanted.

In all my 30 years I have never done it this way and NEVER missed out Disney.
I am starting to think I have made a big mistake and thinking of cancelling it all and restarting with a stay for 2 week on a Disney resort, we love POFQ.

Please lovely DIBBERS has anyone e;se done this, How did you cope without a Disney fix.

I would love to hear about stays on International Drive, Does anyone have any good trip report I can read.

Sorry for long post I think I just need some reassurance.

Edited at 07:55 AM.
BirdsluvDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by BirdsluvDisney View Post
I have been visiting Orlando and Disney for 30 plus years. We have always stayed on site or in a villa, But every stay has involved most days in Disney parks.

I love everything Disney but over the years seen it change so much, Or am I just starting to lose the magic ?

So we started of years back going with the children, They flew the nest so Hubby and myself went alone (really really enjoyed it) great for adults only Then the grandchildren came along and the past couple of years we have gone with our grown up children and grandchildren and stayed between villas and on site, Last year I seemed to enjoy staying away from the parks and didnt visit so often. Some days I stayed in the villa while the family went of to the park.

So for next year just myself and Hubby I have booked a total different holiday, I have booked to stay on International Drive, I have booked no car, I have booked tickets for 3 park Universal, Sea world, Busch Gardens, Aquatica, Discovery Cove. and will then be doing stuff like Ripley's believe it or not. Wonderwork. Plus just enjoy the freedom of walking around the shops, Restaurants, Stopping for a drink when wanted.

In all my 30 years I have never done it this way and NEVER missed out Disney.
I am starting to think I have made a big mistake and thinking of cancelling it all and restarting with a stay for 2 week on a Disney resort, we love POFQ.

Please lovely DIBBERS has anyone e;se done this, How did you cope without a Disney fix.

I would love to hear about stays on International Drive, Does anyone have any good trip report I can read.

Sorry for long post I think I just need some reassurance.
First of all a compliment on a well presented post (seriously)

If it was me I'm not sure I could do the "no-Disney" bit unless my holiday was crammed full of other stuff.

But...

They are interesting times at WDW with so many new rides under construction or in the pipeline. So if you do skip Disney you can look forward to the new stuff when you go back.

Hand on heart- do you think you can survive without going through the purple arches ?

Good luck

BB
Old 23 May 19, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

Not much advice , we have done what you are doing this time, but myself and dd had one day at MK while the lads went on an air boat. Could you have one day there ? It's not cost effective but it's a fix lol
Old 23 May 19, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Uptonspark
Excited about Disney

Uptonspark's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Like you we have been enjoying all that Florida has to offer for over 30yrs. We have had a few trips where we have stayed at the HRH for 2 weeks and not done Disney, and tbh they were great trips in their own right. Like you are planning we spent less days in parks and more days out and about just going with the flow. Try it, I'm sure you'll like it.
Uptonspark is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post

I have seen posters, similar to yourself, with a long history of Orlando holidays deciding to skip Disney and enjoy other things.

For me personally, and I don’t have such a long history, I only go to Orlando for theme parks, particularly Disney. Without that, Orlando or even wider Florida, would never reach the top of my list of places to go in this world. So no, I wouldn’t do it, if I didn’t feel like Disney I would go somewhere else entirely.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
blah11
Getting Excited

Mobile

This doesn’t sound like your last trip to Orlando so I think it’s fine to give Disney a miss this time and experience other things. I’d love to drive down to the Keyes and do some beach days or Anna Maria island but would rather do that when I don’t have small children.
blah11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Which hotel have you booked ? Would you want to have pool days, spend time in their restaurants and bars ?

I travel solo and probably spend more time at the hotel than families would, so I like a ‘good’ hotel such as Rosen Plaza or Rosen Center.

I usually just buy a one day ticket for my Epcot fix. I spend a couple of afternoons or evenings at Disney Springs.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Lots of dibbers have done this and not missed Disney.
You could always do an after hours event if you need a fix
Old 23 May 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Its funny because in the last five trips to Orlando I havent done Disney other than once at MVMCP. I tend to base myself in Orlando and see what the state has to offer. I will try and seek out Mom and pop restaurants or shops. Have been to Tallahassee, St Augustine, Clearwater and this year its a NFL game at Jacksonville in amongst just generally relaxing and enjoying the weather and time off work.

I now almost ask if it would be a waste of money if I bought Disney tickets because I have so much fun in everything other than that. We do go to Disney Springs and we have done Universal as well in that time I must admit. You can only try it and see what you think.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Last year I returned to WDW after a break visiting other US destinations , in the past I'd done off site, on site, conferences you name it kidfree , as a parent and then with adult kid. This time I brought my husband to be and my adult son staying on site then moving to a villa when other family joined us, we had a great time but yes you are right ,even with a break, Disney has changed.
This year we booked 5 nights on IDrive, 2 nights in Tampa and a week st Vero Beach ,ending with an overnight in Miami. We had the Discovery Cove non swim Ultimate so Seaworld,Aquatica and Busch and also KSC tickets .
It was very different , no real planning, we probably ate better than we did the year before on TS free dining and no rushing to meet ADRs or eating because we'd booked something so had to. We spent significantly less and barely saw a queue the whole fortnight.
I wondered if I'd miss Disney,not a twinge , I enjoyed the parks without any enduring crowds and I honestly think Disney in future will be one or two days off season only . It just isn't worth it too me anymore, and is no longer the must do it always was before when Florida was in the offing. Getting old ? Not liking the regimentation fastpasses now demands, bigger crowds, less value in general, all have contributed .
I'd have always said Florida must include Disney but this year proved to me it is just as wonderful (maybe more) without... especially without kids.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List