Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Sep 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
JaneB
Getting Excited

Rugby World Cup

Flying out shortly and DH is wondering if he is going to miss out on the early matches of the Rugby World Cup.
Any ideas on best way to watch matches whilst we are there please? Think England play USA whilst we are there , although will probably be early morning their time.
JaneB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida4ever
Swimming at the All Star Resort

Mobile

We’re hoping to see the games while we’re there but might prove difficult as they’re on at 6am ish😳 I think it’s on NBC?
Old 14 Sep 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Well if the USA are playing, it'll be on one or more of the TV channels for sure. As soon as when it's a match with no USA / South American / Canadian involvement, it'll be harder to find.

Back in 2008 we were in Orlando for the Brazilian Grands Prix (when Hamilton won his first championship). We went to NASCAR Cafe at CityWalk and due to there being quite a few Brits where, they managed to get the race onto one of the TV screens - all the others stayed showing NASCAR stuff.

If you have Sky / Virgin Media over here in the UK, then look at their mobile apps. Some of then you have to trick with a Virtual Private Network so they think you are in the UK, but you can access your content abroad with them. Or, use a Slingbox (available at Costco for about £30) linked to your Sky / Virgin box and you can access your content worldwide with no VPN on a laptop or tablet. If you want to use a full-screen TV with HDMI port you'll need an Amazon Fire Stick (or similar, with the Slingbox app installed). It goes without saying that for all these options to work you need a reliable broadband connection at both the UK & USA end.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Your best chance is probably the sports bars & especially the Irish pubs. I’ve watched games in an English pub in Dr Phillips (Sand Lake rd) & an Irish pub down the 27 (lovely breakfast with proper bacon) but I can’t remember the name, sorry.
Most clubs/bars will put it on at least one screen for you (if they can get it) but you might not get sound.
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disneywiseowl View Post
Most clubs/bars will put it on at least one screen for you (if they can get it) but you might not get sound.
Good point about lack of sound. Most sports bars over there have multiple screens showing different events. The only one that will get any sound (if they choose to turn it up) will be the one with the prominent local team / major US team in it.

You have to remember that for many Americans, "the World" is 50 states. Buy a typical Atlas of the World in the USA & it will be 120 pages. 100 (2 for each state) and then 20 to cover the remainder of the World. I kid you not - I've got one downstairs from when I lived in the USA!
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
carted
Excited about Disney

Use a VPN (trying Express VPN this time as had issues with Nord and Tunnel Bear previously) on an Ipad or laptop and you will be able to watch ITV.
Old 15 Sep 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

Games kickoff between 4am and 6am Eastern, so sports bars are not going to be an option.

Here's NBC's coverage details nbcsportsgrouppressbox/20...gby-world-cup/

Agree with others that a VPN is the best idea, although ITV's app is one of the worst I've used.
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List