Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Sep 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Easter trip during first year of A levels

DD has just started A levels and we've booked 2 weeks for the Easter hols. At the time I thought this would be fine because it's just internal exams (no AS levels anymore) so she could just do a bit of revising at other times. However, I've since found out that these internal exams are what she will use for her uni applications, so they are really important!

I feel so awful about it - I wouldn't dream of taking her away for the second year's Easter break but it never occurred to me that the first year would be a problem. She could revise in the evenings (we're always just in the villa in the evenings and she takes herself off to do her own thing anyway) but evenings only might not be enough.

I've emailed her tutor to ask his advice but has anyone else taken Year 12 students away at this time?

I REALLY don't want to cancel the holiday
Tinkjon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Oh no! I’m sorry because I know this is not the answer you want, but I’d try and alter it as the grades are what they use for Uni applications. I suppose it depends how ‘on it’ your daughter is academically though. I know both my kids has to spend all Easter apart from weekends off revising that holiday. Good luck sorting something out.
Old 15 Sep 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

It depends on the A levels to be honest, and dates of end of year exams and critical coursework and labwork. Are they doing an EPQ - do they do it in Y12 or Y13 at your school?.

One of mine did English, music and art which are VERY coursework heavy - alongside an English based EPQ - the Easter holiday in the first year was well used, could not have dreamt of going away!

The other was sciences and Maths, we could have gone away at Easter (but not the May/Whitsun break as their end of year exams were start of June).

At our school the exam grades were only used as a starting point for predicted grades. Each student could negotiate their position based on overall performance if their exam result did not meet the grade required.

Edited at 09:07 AM.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
tink111
Apprentice Imagineer

tink111's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I agree with above, it depends on how strict with herself she can be. If she can do plenty before the holiday and then maybe 3 hours a day whilst a way I think you could be fine! But will she want to do it on holiday?
I know many will disagree with me regarding the 3 hours, but I found doing much more than this you kind of switch off and stop taking the information in! There is such thing as doing too much...
tink111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

You really need to discuss this with your youngster. Will she be dedicated enough to put in revision work every evening/sometime every day during the holiday? Will the rest of your party be flexible enough with plans to allow her to do that for as long as she feels she needs? Will she feel more under pressure because she's not at home revising/taking advantage of any class-based revision her college may put on during the Easter holiday?

A-levels are so full-on, especially if its all A-level subjects she's doing, as well as possibly an EPQ? My DD started 3 A-levels and an EPQ, and dropped the EPQ in the end as she felt in all it was just too much work.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Gosh, I feel so under-prepared - I don't even know what an EPQ is! We've emailed her tutor to ask his opinion and will go from there. DD is concerned - she would probably rather not come and DH has VERY kindly agreed to stay home with her so that DS and I could still go with the rest of our family - but I'd just feel awful going without them.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
Tinkjon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

It all depends on what UNI they want to go to, how academic they are by nature and how much they are driven themselves.

If you are looking at Oxbridge and the very top tier Russell unis then I'd say they need much more than 3 hours a day during Easter. If they are looking at offers for uni in the BBB range then 3 hours should be enough

It's a tough call, and our kids all refused to go in the Easter holidays (of their own volition). Of course we respected this, but when they then didn't do as much revision as they said they would we did question our decision.

The thing is of you take them when they say they need the time it will always be your fault (in their eyes) if they don't get what they want
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Thanks, floridavisitor, some more good advice there. Definitely not aiming for Oxbridge

I had exactly the same thought about what if we cancel and then she doesn't do a lot - I would be SO angry!

And yes, I totally agree about it being her call or she will resent me forever. She has history there
Old 16 Sep 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I’m going to go against the grain and say she will need a holiday after a gruelling spring term and will return more focussed. I definitely would have needed the time off for my AS levels (12 years ago now). I think it’s unrealistic to expect them to work every single day with no break.

Why not make a revision timetable with her? She won’t want to cancel either!
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

It is not just the revision for exams though. Some courses - particularly art/photography/music/computer science will often have coursework deadlines for each year.

You need to make sure that those deadlines are kept in mind. This year DD17 had a 2 day "course" in computer science this Easter to provide pointers for documenting their project - yes, she could have gone on holiday, but when teachers are giving up time for free it is nice to be able to take advantage of that... She had half a day of labwork practise too for Chemistry.

Last year DD18 had 2 days of Music composition and a week of artroom availability to work on final presentation.

Always take advantage of free help.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List