Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Sep 20, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Treadmill in the winter or suck it up?

Runners, walkers etc. do you carry on as normal in the winter or do you have a treadmill?

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Treadmill. I hate running as it is let alone running in the cold and rain

ETA I'll still do the parkrun outside though. I do suck it up for that!
Old 20 Sep 20, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
I run every day, or at least I have every day since January 31st (so 233 days and counting) and I go out in all weathers - hot or cold, dry or wet - and average 50 miles a week.

I always wear shorts, even when we're well below zero. The only concession I make to the coldest days is a Nike Pro compression top under my running shirt.

I also walk the dog 2-3 times a day, sometimes he runs with me) but I'll wrap up more for that if it's wet and/or cold!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I lived in the UK for a few years (now live somewhere with no seasons), but never had a treadmill (wouldn't work with student accommodation!). I tried using treadmills in gyms, but making a trip to the gym to use the treadmill got to be a bit too much effort after a while since I had to cycle/drive to get to the gym.

So I just ended up running outdoors throughout the whole year including winter.

Layers were the key for me!

Top: base layer shirt, light running jacket, and a windproof outer layer. If I got too hot during the run I'd unzip or take off the outermost layer.
Bottom: shorts + tights, or a pair of windproof/waterproof trousers, or both depending on how cold it was!
Gloves +/- earmuffs depending how cold it is.

Usually I'd find that the first part of the run was very cold, but as I warmed up things would get better.

My limit for running was if there was snow on the ground - I tried doing this once, slipped everywhere, and decided not to ever run with snow on the ground again. Otherwise I was running outdoors throughout all of winter!
Old 20 Sep 20, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Belle
Imagineer

I run in all weathers unless it is icy.

DLP New Year 1993, May 05, Mar 07, Jan17 and Sept 22
Orlando 1986, 1991, 1994, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017 & 2023
Big Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I prefer running in the winter! Its hard going in heat. The only time I would not run (i run daily) is if the ground is unsafe with ice/snow.
I actually love running in the rain! If its a nice gentle rain I feel like I am getting a facial! If its absolutely bouncing down I end up laughing at myself 🤣
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I walk about 5 miles with the dog every day no matter what the weather is I’ve been out in snow, ice 60mph winds. I just get on with it.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Yep I’m with Big Belle I run twice a week & actually prefer it a bit cold as opposed to hot as soon as you start running you get warm anyway
For the record I only run on the treadmill if I absolutely have to like if it’s snowing or ice I’ll do it at the gym but hate it, as it’s so boring & I over heat indoors
I love running in a bit of rain too so fresh

Edited at 06:12 PM.
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Love running outside on beautiful winter mornings but last winter was mild. Wouldn't want to run in ice or snow. But DH is buying a running machine to go in our garden office when it's built in a few weeks so may go in there in rubbish weather.

I've only been running for q5 months but do love the outside which surprises me.

Its the heat that stops me more than the cold, but if it's too hot I just get up stupid o'clock to avoid the heat.
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I bought a treadmill in lockdown and have been doing C25K. I’m not comfortable doing it outside, so the treadmill works really well for me. It does take up a decent amount of space though.