Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Aug 15, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
academy
slightly serious Dibber

Contact Lenses when flying?

Hi all

I need a bit of advice please regarding wearing contact lenses on the flight.

I have had lenses for a couple of years now but only really wear them on a night out or at the weekend. I have the daily disposable ones and am ok in having them in for about 8 or 9 hours or so.

I plan on wearing them quite a bit whilst we are away but not sure whether I will have problems flying in them.

Do they dry out? Am I better in my glasses ( I wear varifocals) until just before we land and then putting them in ?

I shall definitely be wearing my glasses on the way back as I am hoping to be able to sleep but on the way out I think we will all be too excited to sleep

I realise everyone is different but any opinions would be great - thanks
academy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

DH wears his all the time only exception is on a flight no matter how long he says they irritate like hell and he's worn them for30 years
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

I've worn lenses for about 24 years and normally wear them all day, every day. We normally have 3 flights to Orlando and almost 24 hours of travelling from leaving the house in the morning until arriving so on these travel days I wear my glasses until I'm about to get on the last flight and just wear them for the last leg as 24 hours is obviously too long to wear them.

If I were lucky enough to live near an airport and only had a 9 hour flight then I would probably wear them the whole day as it wouldn't be any longer than a normal day for me. Flying doesn't particularly cause any lens problems for me and I always wear them to fly if we go to Europe.

If you're not used to wearing them for long periods of time, then probably best not to for the long flight.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
SHREKS OTHER1/2
Imagineer

SHREKS OTHER1/2's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I wear daylies ... But never wear then to fly in ..always travel in my goggs
05,07,09 Sandy Ridge 11 LA,Vegas,SF 12Miami,Sandy Ridge,AMI 13 Vegas 13 Miami,Disney,AMI,KeyWest 14 Memphis,New Orleans,AMI 15 West Caribbean Cruise & Keys 15 Miami, East Caribbean Cruise & AMI 16 Orlando & West Caribbean Cruise, 16 Barbados,17 MSC Caribbean Cruise AMI,17Georgia,Carolina,Orlando & AMI 18 Vegas ,LA & Palm Springs,18 NewYork,Arkansas ,Dallas 19 Barbados Cruise 19 Florida 20 Vegas,LA& Hawaii 20 Arkansas
SHREKS OTHER1/2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post
LaurenYorkshir
Imagineer

I wear my glasses up to about an hour before landing and have then have a freshen up , pop lenses in and re apply makeup. I find it passes time and I feel fresher for it. My eyes dry out pretty quick so couldn't wear them for a full flight.

LaurenYorkshir is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 01:47 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I find the air on the plane really dries mine out so I prefer my glasses
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Originally Posted by academy View Post
Hi all

I need a bit of advice please regarding wearing contact lenses on the flight.

I have had lenses for a couple of years now but only really wear them on a night out or at the weekend. I have the daily disposable ones and am ok in having them in for about 8 or 9 hours or so.

I plan on wearing them quite a bit whilst we are away but not sure whether I will have problems flying in them.

Do they dry out? Am I better in my glasses ( I wear varifocals) until just before we land and then putting them in ?

I shall definitely be wearing my glasses on the way back as I am hoping to be able to sleep but on the way out I think we will all be too excited to sleep

I realise everyone is different but any opinions would be great - thanks
My DH always wears his, I can't remember if I wear mine because I suffer from dry eyes anyway and so even if I wear them I probably don't last the whole flight and that's nothing to do with the flight, I wouldn't last that long with them on the ground. But DH always wears his. I think when he comes home he doesn't because he tries to sleep.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
gforce_iom
Imagineer

gforce_iom's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
When I wore contacts... never on a plane... they dry up far too much!
1991-96 4 Trips~1997x1~1999x1~2001x1~2004x1~2004/2005x3/2006x2/2007x3/2009x2/2010x2~2011 Westridge Villa~2012 Highlands Reserve Villax3~2013 Hampton Lakesx2~2014 Hampton Lakesx2~2015 Hampton Lakesx1~2017 Sunset Ridgex2~Rosen Shingle Creek~2018 Sunset Ridgex1~2018 Rosen Shingle Creek~2019 Sunset Ridgex1 Hampton Lakesx1 Calabay Parcx1 2020 Highlands Reservex1 2022 Calabay Parcx1 2024 Hunters Creekx1
gforce_iom is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
TTA
Apprentice Imagineer

I have gas permeable contact lenses. If it is a day flight I usually wear them all flight with no problems. Night flights I take them off just before the lights go out and stick them back on in the morning
TTA is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

What ever you decide on for the flight just remember NOT to wear them when swimming anywhere any time! Dont risk an eye infection !