Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 29 Oct 17, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
Looking forward to this! Cheese is my all time favourite food so I am horrified by this phobia
I'm severely allergic to cheese but it doesn't bother me because I can't understand how people eat it. I'm only phobic about it because eating it could kill me.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 17, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Going soon!
Excited about Disney

And so it begins...

Pre-travel day

Drive to Edinburgh then flying BA to Gatwick

So one of Grumpy’s favourite ‘sodas’ in the US is Mountain Dew. Although you can get it here, it never does taste the same. So imagine how we grinned when we stopped for a ‘comfort break’ and saw this...

Arrived at Edinburgh Airport, parked, bags dumped and through security all very easily - fantastic! We had been on the go since 7am and so by 10am, breakfast was calling. Stopped at The Gathering (partly because it was quiet). Grumpy had a roll, bacon and tatie scone and I had a roll, sausage and tatie scone... washed down with a coffee and latte respectively. Not the cheapest but very nice all the same (let’s face it, airport food is never gonna be value for money!).

BA now has M&S food onboard the internal flights but to be honest, I can’t comment as I fell asleep!

Staying at Sofitel tonight before our flight in the morning. So we popped down to The Urban Cafe after bag drop... now that is sooo convienient... makes a change for us as usually we fly down to Gatwick the same day we fly to MCO.

Back to the food!

Both Grumpy and I had fish and chips and it was very nice (although the fish was maybe a tad greasy considering the panko breadcrumbs but still good. The tartare sauce that came with it was amazing!

And now for desserts...

On asking what the ‘specials’ were, we were told it was sticky toffee pudding. Now Grumpy particularly likes this so he orders it and I asked for the crepe brûlée. 5 mins later, a chap came round with a plate and explained Grumpy could have sticky toffee but the ‘special’ was actually Halloween themed... biscuit crumb, chocolate dessert thing, white chocolate skull and a strawberry sauce in a pot - he picked that instead.

Overall, a really nice meal... again not cheap but a nice relaxing way to start our holiday.

So the real travel day tomorrow... catch ya soon :-)

Hx

Edited at 08:40 PM.
Going soon! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 17, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Pre travel day is always exciting. Have a restful night and safe flight tomorrow.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 17, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
£7.20 for a Rekorderlig?! Wowzers! That meal looks really tasty though
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 17, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Lol - love that Halloween dessert.

Great start!

MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 17, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

I'm guessing those will be your last tattie scone doublers for a while. Hope your travel day goes smoothly.
Old 1 Nov 17, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
clarithy
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

The citrus Mountain Dew just doesn’t cut it the same as the proper American stuff ehh!

I love Mountain Dew too.

Looking forward to more, great start
clarithy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 17, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Looking forward to this.
I’m a non cheese eater too, so will be interested in seeing what Grumpy eats
Old 27 Nov 17, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Going soon!
Excited about Disney

Well, epic fail of Florida food portion size! Failed completely on the live food blog front

Travel Day

After a very comfortable night in Sofitel, were packed back up and out the door in no time. We figured since we would be heading to the V Room, there would be little point grabbing breakfast at the hotel. A very swift transit through security ended up with us arriving at the V Room nearly 4 hours before the flight. Now I know that you are only supposed to get in up to 3 hours before but we thought we would chance it... yaaaaaaay we got in!

So this is our first time in the new V Room (Gatwick) (since it moved at the beginning of the year). Absolutely lovely! If you are even thinking about it a little, just do it! (hint: when you first go in, it looks a bit small head straight forward towards the windows and then go round the corner... lovely area with cabanas

We managed to nab one of the cabanas and it was lovely just to put our feet up and have a leisurely breakfast. East as much or as little as you want, full cooked, pancakes, cereals, fruits, yoghurts, the usual tea/coffee. Full bar too. Hubby and I don't really do much in the way of alcohol (due to medications) but we still got value for money.

Flight was called while we were in the V Room and there wasn't that 'rush' when you get called... just nice and chilled. Barbarella was our chariot and of course Virgin did not disappoint. Uneventful flight, helpful cabin crew. My only niggle was really my own fault... I had booked the exit row next to the door. Me in the window seat and hubby in the middle. BIG mistake! I forgot that the door was thicker then the wall and sticks out...needless to say, I was the one with shorter legs so I got the door... and a bit of a chilly draft from it too!

The meal came round about an hour or so into the flight. Ok I suppose but not impressive. (I forgot to keep my phone out so I could get pics ). The usual 'Fab' ice lolly later in the flight. Can't fault Virgin to be honest. Constant access to drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic).

We landed it MCO and although through immigration with virtually no queue, the longest wait we had was for our bags...OMG it was frustrating! Anyway, through customs without a hitch (I had put a cross on my immigration card saying I had food but nobody asked me at any time what it was)... breezed through the lot much to my surprise!

Hire car and off to the hotel. Staying at Portofino Bay at Universal and it is stunning. Dropped bags at the hotel and headed straight to Citywalk... sleep will come later. Although we felt reasonably well fed on the plane, I had just fancied our first hit to be Panda Express or something similar (not really looking for something massive but couldn't not go out).

Panda Express at Citywalk is upstairs and in the same eating area as Burger King. Clean enough and considering it was 8pm at night, I was surprised at how quiet it was. Grumpy had fried rice, orange chicken and peking pork, I had noodles, orange chicken and an egg roll - incidently, they had ran out of egg rolls when I ordered and I was quite happy to change to something else but they insisted on making me egg roll from fresh - everything was lovely (probably partly because it was out first proper food in Florida!). $24.93 for both of us including unlimited soda,

Going soon! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 17, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Fab looking forward to reading more 😁