Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Nov 17, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
hippformulausa/hipp-formula-preparation/

Interesting article about the need to sterilise formula and why it’s not required in the USA but is in the EU.
Very interesting! 1 in 24 million chance of a problem and "use your common sense ". They even say you can store prepared formula in the fridge for 24 hours still like I did 14 years ago.
Old 22 Nov 17, 01:01 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Well when my two were little we made all the bottles up in advance as was the norm then. So when we went on holiday we took the made up bottles in cool bags and both were happy to drink them cold.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
shawny122
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I haven’t read the whole thread so I don’t know if anyone has suggested this but when we went with my 5 month old last year we would take one more bottle out in the day than we knew we needed. So for example 3 feeds would mean taking 4 bottles.

In the morning we’d fill up 3 of the bottles with the correct amount of boiling water for his feeds and take them with us along with the extra bottle empty. We’d also take 3 formula pots with the right amount of powder in. When we needed to feed him we would go to the baby care center and pour 30ml of the pre boiled water from one of the bottles into the empty bottle. Then heat this in the microwave for 30 seconds so it was nearly boiling but not quite. Add the formula powder to that to kill off any germs and then once it was all dissolved pour in the remaining pre boiled water from the bottle. This meant you’re using the correct amount of water for powder, still killing off any germs and have a bottle the exact right temperature ready to go in minutes.

Then on the next feed the bottle we just poured the water out of would be the ‘empty’ one and we’d do the same again.

It was essentially the same principle as a perfect prep and it worked really well.

Of course with my first I didn’t realise you needed to kill germs in the formula powder and made bottles up with cooled water and he was fine so I’m sure it would have been ok to do that
shawny122 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by shawny122 View Post
I haven’t read the whole thread so I don’t know if anyone has suggested this but when we went with my 5 month old last year we would take one more bottle out in the day than we knew we needed. So for example 3 feeds would mean taking 4 bottles.

In the morning we’d fill up 3 of the bottles with the correct amount of boiling water for his feeds and take them with us along with the extra bottle empty. We’d also take 3 formula pots with the right amount of powder in. When we needed to feed him we would go to the baby care center and pour 30ml of the pre boiled water from one of the bottles into the empty bottle. Then heat this in the microwave for 30 seconds so it was nearly boiling but not quite. Add the formula powder to that to kill off any germs and then once it was all dissolved pour in the remaining pre boiled water from the bottle. This meant you’re using the correct amount of water for powder, still killing off any germs and have a bottle the exact right temperature ready to go in minutes.

Then on the next feed the bottle we just poured the water out of would be the ‘empty’ one and we’d do the same again.

It was essentially the same principle as a perfect prep and it worked really well.

Of course with my first I didn’t realise you needed to kill germs in the formula powder and made bottles up with cooled water and he was fine so I’m sure it would have been ok to do that
Have a look at the link posted above. Apparently the risk of contaminated formula is 1 in 24 million! Obviously the official UK advice errs on the side of extreme caution.
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
shawny122
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Have a look at the link posted above. Apparently the risk of contaminated formula is 1 in 24 million! Obviously the official UK advice errs on the side of extreme caution.
Looks like I did the right thing with my first then haha! Although he wasn’t fussy and didn’t mind what temperature he had milk. My second was extremely fussy thanks to the perfect prep and would only drink milk at the exact right temperature so the method we used worked well for that as we had milk at a temp he thought was acceptable every time
shawny122 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
clarithy
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Following this.

I just posted asking about this and didn’t see this post.

I’m currently exclusively expressing but by sept the baby will be 10months and I’ll be bottle feeding.

Great advice here, nothing’s straight forward.

Think I’ll order at the airport ready made for the whole trip. Plenty time to think about it tho.
clarithy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by clarithy View Post
Following this.

I just posted asking about this and didn’t see this post.

I’m currently exclusively expressing but by sept the baby will be 10months and I’ll be bottle feeding.

Great advice here, nothing’s straight forward.

Think I’ll order at the airport ready made for the whole trip. Plenty time to think about it tho.
By 10 months you don't need to worry as much I your lucky by 10 months you may be able to use sippy cup.
fluffychicken is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 02:30 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fluffychicken View Post
By 10 months you don't need to worry as much I your lucky by 10 months you may be able to use sippy cup.
I agree, 10 month olds put everything in their mouths. They must have stronger immune systems by then.
Old 23 Nov 17, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

NHS guidelines still recommend sterilising until 12 months.

The trouble with asking any question about a ythi g baby related online is that you always get the ‘it never did mine any harm’ answers which contradict the gov advice.

It’s so hard as a first time mum!
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Have you weighed the little ready made cartons. If it will make your life easier and what baby is used to then could you go out with a case of milk and have room for anything you buy on way home. You can always take less clothes and wash there. Then no stress about keeping milk cool/safe bottle prep. They sell disposable pre sterilised bottles too.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List