Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 11 Dec 17, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Beauty and the Feast November 2017 ***COMPLETE***

Intro

It feels like we’ve been back ages and I haven’t even started writing yet, so I thought I’d better get going before I completely forget everything we ate.

Firstly the title. Well I’d love you all to think that the Beauty part refers to us, but in reality we’re just a couple of ordinary middle aged joes. It’s actually about the beautiful locations we stayed at on this trip. We’ve had a fabulous year of celebrations for our silver wedding anniversary, starting with our budget trip to Orlando in January, followed by an amazing visit to Tokyo in May, then Venice, Vienna and Paris on the Orient Express for our actual anniversary in September, and this, our final blowout celebration in Orlando in November, staying at the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and Vero Beach.

The Feast part is of course all about the food. The holiday kicked off with seven days at the Grand Floridian, for which we had the full DDP. We also had a $300 Disney gift card burning a hole in our pockets, which we thought might come in handy for some eats once the DDP part of the holiday was over.

Anyway, this is us – Lucy and Sean for anyone who hasn’t met us or read any of my food reports before –

and this is how we did it.

Edited at 02:53 PM.
hornetgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 17, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Travel Day

We were flying from Gatwick so we stayed at the Premier Inn the night before. However, we just ate normally at home that day, so nothing exciting to share. All we had at the hotel was a bottle of water each!

Our flight was BA2037 and we travelled Club thanks to our Amex 241 Avios voucher. This gave us access to the BA lounge and was the first time we’d used it since BA moved to the south terminal at Gatwick. First impressions were pretty good. It was busy but we were able to get seats easily enough and there was plenty of food.
I had a Greek yogurt with honey and some orange juice, followed by a Danish pastry.

Sean had a bacon roll, which he enjoyed enough to have a second one, then some toast.

We also had a different kind of toast with some slightly more fizzy orange juice.

Once onboard we took our seats in row one – that’ll be us driving then – and settled down with the obligatory glass of champagne.

In no time we were airborne and the drinks service began. Rum and coke for me and whisky for Sean, plus a bag of cashews each. I had hoped the rum would come in one of those little miniature bottles, which would be handy for slipping into a dole whip, but alas my drink arrived pre-mixed. Sean’s must have been camera shy as it doesn’t appear to have had its photo taken.

Dinner was next. I started with smoked salmon and Sean had a meze plate. Both came with a side salad and dressing.

We both had pan-seared British fillet steak for our main course, which we had preordered prior to flying via the Manage My Booking facility.

The other choices were green Thai chicken curry, mushroom and truffle tortellini or a couscous, quinoa and feta cheese salad with lemon poached prawns.
Dessert was chocolate salted caramel fondant and orange mascarpone tart. Not either, but both.

The alternative to dessert was a cheese selection.

About 90 minutes before landing, afternoon tea was served. This consisted of a selection of finger sandwiches (beef and horseradish, cheese, salmon)

warm scones with clotted cream and jam

plus two dinky little cakes and a cup of tea or coffee.

BA catering seems to be very hit and miss these days, but we were impressed with the meals on this flight and enjoyed all our food. The Club Kitchen facility is still available and we also had a few bits and pieces from this between dinner and tea to keep us going.

The flight arrived well ahead of schedule and this coupled with the shortest immigration experience we’ve ever had meant that we pulled up at the Grand Flo not much after 5:30pm. Bags safely installed in our room, we freshened up and as it was a lovely warm evening we took the launch boat via the Polynesian to the Magic Kingdom. Despite my lack of rum we headed straight to Aloha Isle to start work on our snack credits.

Sean had a pineapple float, while in the name of research I tried the new pineapple upside down cake.

It was good but I prefer the float. The sponge part was very sweet and got a bit cloying towards the end. I was too tired to note down the price with tax, but before tax it was $11.98. We used two snack credits.

We had eaten well on the plane so we didn’t have a further meal this evening, but we did buy a Pluto Christmas popcorn bucket which we wanted to bring home for a friend, so we grazed on the contents of that for the rest of the evening. This was him after a few days, with all the bits and pieces we accumulated.

Edited at 07:41 PM.
hornetgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 17, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Great travel day and you managed to get to the magic kingdom too. I'm looking forward to the next update.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
clarithy
Very Serious Dibber

Loving the name of the report. Great start! Why a year off holidays! Amazing.
clarithy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Yes good title and nice start
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
pandanne
Imagineer

Nice travel day - looking forward to the next bit
Old 12 Dec 17, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Jannyjan
Proud to wear my Ears

Rose gold ears?
Jannyjan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Great travel day and you managed to get to the magic kingdom too. I'm looking forward to the next update.
We were very lucky with our early arrival and as the Magic Kingdom was so close by we thought it was a good idea. We were dead on our feet after a couple of hours though!
Old 12 Dec 17, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by clarithy View Post
Loving the name of the report. Great start! Why a year off holidays! Amazing.
It has been pretty fabulous. We don't normally spend half the year on holiday though - as you can see from my countdown, we have precisely nothing planned for next year at the moment.
Old 12 Dec 17, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Yes good title and nice start
Thank you. I'd been trying to think of a title before we even set off and hadn't had any good ideas. It just came to me while we were sitting eating that dole whip on the first evening.