Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Nov 20, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Any spaniel experts? Update page 5

Just after some advice about how to get a wee spaniel to calm down?

My neighbours acquired a spaniel from someone they know who bought him on a whim during lock down but couldn't cope with him.

He is absolutely manic and the only time he calms down somewhat is when he is physically tired.

As he's still only young he gets 4 or more shorter walks a day. I volunteered to take him out for 20 minutes mid morning. My neighbour is working at home so I go in the back gate and she puts the dog outside.

He then has a mad 10 minutes running around the perimeter of the garden until he calms down enough for the lead to go on.

Then I have to set off at a pretty fast clip with a very short lead on the harness because if he gets ahead on a slack rein he will take 2 steps forward and spin round 2 steps then spin.

Obviously it's up to his owners to decide what to do to help him but I just wondered if there is anything I could do at all to alter his behaviour around my walking him?

He's a lovely looking little dog but he never looks relaxed.

Edited at 04:59 PM.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

It sounds like he needs some training.
If you are on Facebook have a look at a group called Dog training and advice. They have modules on all sorts of training for dogs and you can ask questions if you get stuck, though I think the owner should be the one to tell about it.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Abbysmum
Apprentice Imagineer

I have two springers and they definitely need lots of stimulation and good off lead walks
Abbysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I'm not an expert but he is probably a working spaniel not a show one .
A friend at work had two ( he had staffordshire Bull Terriers before that enjoy a good run ) but he said he could take the spaniels out for hours then when he got home he'd give them a drink and they'd ant to go again
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
They need tiring mentally as well as physically! Especially when they are too young to walk or run for hours.
Hiding food treats in objects might help. Or around the garden. Let them do what they are bred for. And good basic training.
Old 3 Nov 20, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

Typical for their breed
My dad has had them all his life and even after 2 hours walking they are ready for more
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
As others have said, I'm afraid that is typical of their breed.

Also as other have said, they need mental stimulation as well as physical. Going to new places for a walk helps, if the walk must be short.

My niece has a Springador that is more Springer than Lab. She does the "spinny thing" and "helicopter tail" that is very Spaniel.
She has lots of different food games etc to keep her brain occupied and takes her on different walks with her Pointador brother, to keep her interested in her walks (well, runs... she has a doggy version of fitbit and does about 4x the miles that her brother does, as she just doesn't stop).
Old 3 Nov 20, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Very typical Spaniel. Mine is now 4 and have calmed down a huge amount, but still spins at the start of a walk, or when she is on a lead and feels she could be let off. I agree mental stimulation is a good idea. There is a brilliant facebook page called canine enrichment that posts lots of ideas for games and equipment that can be used. Also their food can make a big difference. When I got my girl (a free ads dog) she was on beta puppy, I was told this is like feeding a toddler skittles, changing her food made a big difference. A website called 'all about dog food' reviews lots of brands to help you work out what is good and what not so.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen1512
Very Serious Dibber

We have a working cocker and she has tons of energy. She loves to run off the lead and is ball mad. She will run for ages retrieving a ball. If it’s wet and we only lead walk her she has a mad run around the house as she needs to run. She also plays tug with our big dog a couple of times a day. She loves games that test her mentally too. We hide treats around the house and play find it which she is amazing at. She loves routine and responds well to commands. I think some training is a good start and then maybe as others have suggested mental as well as physical games. Good luck. They are energetic but such lovely loving loyal dogs too.
Old 3 Nov 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Depends on what kind of Spaniel...

Springers - utterly bonkers, especially when young
Cockers - partially bonkers, usually calm down a lot as they get older
Cavalier King Charles - run the range from slightly bonkers to borderline comatose

The fact is that most 'crazy' dog behaviour can be cured by plenty of exercise and a consistent / correct approach to discipline.