Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Jan 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by vowels View Post
I do not think he will pardon himself.

I think he will issue pardons to all and sundry, including his family, but not to himself because he does not believe he has done anything wrong and that the title of President protects him from any charges, even if he is not the current president.

And he is probably right, everyone else will take a hit. It might just be unpalatable for USA to have a president in jail.

Donald Trump Jr is another flame thrower and his fiancée is just as bad, they seem to love the adoration that comes with being the Son of Trump. Power hungry couple.
Whilst a Republican by leaning, I would have abstained in each of the past two elections as I never at any time regarded Trump as a man of Presidential stature, just a dodgy guy who I would never buy a timeshare or second hand car from.

Equally, whilst a natural Conservative in leaning, I had to hold my nose whilst voting for a party led by Boris. If Corbyn had not been the alternative, then I would have abstained.

It is a shame that increasingly, we find ourselves having to pick between leaders who imho are totally unfit for the High Offices that they aspire to. The Politicians of today are not fit to wipe the shoes of some of the great Leaders of the past (of all parties) and I do not believe this to simply be nostalgia.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:41 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
And this my fear!
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

It will be a quick end to things though...might be time to reconsider Dry January!

Edited at 12:28 PM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
His condemnation last night via twitter was said tongue in cheek. He never meant a word of it!

He is still a very dangerous man. An unstable man. Surrounded by people who think like him.

Hope I am wrong but I still think he will pull a stunt before January 20!

Iran springs to mind!
Old 8 Jan 21, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
That is Irrelevant. There are only two realistic choices on the ballot paper and the route to the White House is well established. You can win every single vote in Montana, Maine, Vermont, N and S Dakota and have 5 seats. Win California by 1 vote and you get over 50 seats. That is the American system, those are the rules and therefore that is what you base your election strategy and funding decisions upon as you campaign. There are States where the GOP or Democrats may commit millions in campaigning as they are swing States and that funding may carry them. Their may be others where they commit hardly a Cent as they know that they are going to win it (or lose it) regardless. Basic strategy.

It is the same in the U.K. where Diane Abbott won her seat by 39000 votes. Labour get one seat. Another Conservative Politician might win his constituency by 1 vote.. The Conservative Party get one seat. Those are our rules. Would the Cons campaign hard and spend money in Hackney North and Stoke Newington? I doubt it.

Neither Trump nor Clinton were palatable, but Americans had to vote one way or the other. Just because somebody voted Trump doesn’t mean that they were comfortable with him either.. (or the other way around). It may just mean that they were even less comfortable with Clinton. You will never tell me that Hilary Clinton is a popular person.. any more than Donald Trump. Just like in the U.K., you also get people who vote strictly on Party lines, regardless of candidates most would agree that a deranged Racoon would win Hackney North and Stoke Newington provided it wore a red rosette.
I think the point Bozza was making was that clearly Clinton wasn't less palatable than Trump because she gained more votes than he did.

More Americans preferred Clinton over Trump (i.e. more Americans chose to vote for her), reluctantly or otherwise.

But, yes, the total number of votes doesn't matter in the end. It's who wins the most Electoral College votes that counts. And, yes, many people vote for the party, not the figurehead, so would've voted Democrat (or Republican) no matter who was in charge.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 01:18 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Lets hope they have had the sense to change the code and not tell him!
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

I agree with your sentiments but it is worth noting that the officer did not die until 9:30 PM on Thursday. It still isn't even 10am here on the East Coast so most people haven't really even had much chance to react.
Old 8 Jan 21, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 21, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

President Trump's Twitter account permanently suspended.
Inciting violence, again.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List