Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jan 21, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
I don’t have a credit card but I have Amex that I use for everything. I pay the balance off every month and if it’s not accepted I’ll use my debit card.
I do pay a fee but it has huge benefits and offers including flight upgrades, loyalty schemes etc
I use mine for pretty much everything unless Amex isn’t accepted. Then I just use my bank card.
I do find I have to enter the pin a lot for small transactions. It’s strange.

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

We have a couple but I only use our Nationwide advantage gold card just for big purchases for the extra protection. Then I always just pay it off as soon as we get the statement
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
I use mine for pretty much everything unless Amex isn’t accepted. Then I just use my bank card.
I do find I have to enter the pin a lot for small transactions. It’s strange.
My card doesn’t actually have the chip for chip and pin as it’s metal. They have recently sent me a plastic card with a chip for this purpose but I always forget it so have to enter the pin anyway 😂
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Dinglebert View Post
I am another who pays off every month. I only use credit cards which offer me a bonus for using them eg miles, points. Currently have an IHG card for Holiday Inn. Prefer to have my Amex but am currently resting from them as we fell out over a covid hotel booking. Will go back when I can get the initial bonus again.

There is always a word of warning with credit cards. The rate of interest if you don't pay off is hefty. I have been guilty in the bad old days of not paying it off and it can rack up very quickly. Sometimes the minimum payment only just cleared the interest which is not a good place to be.
Yep been there too in our youth.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Almost all my purchases go onto my credit cards. So much easier to just use Apple Pay on my watch (linked to my cards) than to get my wallet out of my bag, find cash, get the right change, etc.

The added benefit of this is that my credit cards have bonuses like cash back - one of my cards has a 5% cash back at some supermarkets which is fairly amazing for buying groceries. (Another card advertises 8% cash back but has more conditions attached...) They also occasionally have additional offers available that are linked to the card. (Usual caveat that I'm not in the UK so these are cards for where I am...)

Credit cards are paid off in full every month. I sit down around the same time every month to pay off bills and then check it off my list to make sure that I don't forget to pay them!

Edit to add: I always have at least 2 cards available at any one point, in case 1 card gets cancelled/suspended for any reason (unusual activity detected, fraudulent charges, lost card, etc). Especially important when on holiday to have at least 2 cards available for use!

Edited at 06:48 PM.
sky13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Pretty much the same as almost everyone else. Use my Amex for as much as I can and clear it very month. We work between 2, 1 each, which gets us a couple of 2 for 1 vouchers per year, but honestly probably won’t get to use them all.
We also use these for our holiday spends now and clear when we get home. We take a little cash but not much.
Old 17 Jan 21, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I use an AmEx Gold CC and use it for pretty much everything. There are still a few places don't like AmEx, but they are now much more widely accepted.
We pay ours off every months so as not to get charged. I will eventually get around to having it automatically paid.

For foreign purchases I use my Halifax Clarity CC as it gets the best possible rate and no fees.

Edited at 07:00 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
HenrysDad
Imagineer

HenrysDad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have a multitude of credit cards thankfully all with zero balances.

I use 2 cards, my Amex and Nationwide VISA for significant purchases as the Amex gets me Avios and the Visa has a small cashback. Balances are always cleared to avoid interest.

I also have a Halifax card for US use only.

I used to carry significant (to me) balances, but always at 0%, so the total cost of borrowing was usually less than 3% flat for a couple of years, but I have worked hard to manage them down to zero in the past year or two.

Just need the opportunity to book a trip now
Old 17 Jan 21, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

I use mine for just about everything. We gat air miles and insurance. Just pay it off every month to avoid those exorbitant interest rates.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Everything goes onto my Virgin Atlantic credit card, pay it off in full to earn Virgin airmiles / points - also use their Shops Away site for bigger purchases if possible for more miles / points.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List