Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 9 Oct 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

‘Scrim’ - That has to be Tim Tracker’s favourite word.

I did see a video the other day and the front end of Epcot looks like a building site, but by Jove, it needs updating.
Old 9 Oct 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Will_H
Excited about Disney

On the flip side,we are going Easter 2020 and hoping people will rather go in 2021 for 50th celebrations so crowds wont be as mad...
Hopefully

Doubt it though
Will_H is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

I think the new rides opening up at sea world and Universal has really woke Disney up as theses closures and new attractions were needed in AK, DHS and Epcot.
I not been since 2016 so by the time I go back.
MK will have had Tron coaster and a new Fireworks show and maybe a new nighttime parade. Rumoured COP update.
AK Pandora area and the nighttime show
DHS Toy story land, Galaxy Edge and Mickey and Minnie runaway train also a new show in the Disney Junior building for my son to watch
Epcot Guardians of the galaxy coaster, Play pavilion, Ratatouille ride, Rumoured Mary Poppins attraction and the new nighttime fireworks show.

So by the time I go again at least 10 new rides and 5 new shows for us to watch
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Tretinker View Post
Am I missing something? There was absolutely tons of work going on at Epcot and Magic Kingdom this year and I was surprised and a tiny bit disappointed by the amount. I'm amazed some people think it's not much!
We've been a few times now and there's always work going on somewhere but this time it felt like a blanket of scrim and temporary walls everywhere.
I still had a wonderful time but I'm hoping some of these walls will be down by next summer, Epcot I can live with but I really haven't ever experienced such a heavy presence of building work before.
I'm sure by next year it'll be better though.
There has been a lot of boarding up but not many closures as such. I think that’s what people have been pointing out. We’re just back and it seems there’s a lot being refurbished but not rides so not really affecting our enjoyment.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

To me, Epcot is all about World Showcase 1st, with rides (Soarin', Test Track) second, and the fountains/globe third (for iconic family photos). The area in front of World showcase always struck me as great swathes of sterile concrete, particularly walking to Test Track - definitely in need of tlc and new ideas.

Boards hiding construction may take a little of the initial magic, but once past and onto the bridges to cross to Canada/France etc, that's me back in the "zone" as it were.

That's what I love about Epcot, the different lands, wondering how (in)accurate they all are based on their twee interpretation of the UK!... that and Mitsukoshi in Japan: adore that place.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
What I am confused about is how long some of Disneys building projects take. Tron is scheduled to open in just under 2 years (August 2021). They started laying the track 18 months ago?

Meanwhile Sea worlds new coaster started under 6 months ago and is scheduled for 9 months time?

I can understand there will be a difference in size/quality but it does seem a strangely long amount of time. Ratatouille is similar but at least it includes the expansion of the France pavilion streets.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I understand that is is disappointing to not get the visual initial impression you have planed for. Sometime the construction can make navigation a but trickier however its minor in the big scheme of things. I do think knowing we plan to return in a few years helps with any closures.
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
What I am confused about is how long some of Disneys building projects take. Tron is scheduled to open in just under 2 years (August 2021). They started laying the track 18 months ago?
They didn't start laying track 18 months ago. They did the foundation work back in April this year, added the first of the black supports for the coaster in May 19, and started adding the track in June 19 (3 or 4 months ago):

screamscape/html/wdw_...ngdom.htm#Tron

So I suspect from the start of foundation work to completion of the attraction will take just over 2 years. And, btw, we don't know when it will open yet.

But you're right. Disney does take longer to build these things for some reason. The Ice Breaker coaster at Seaworld is going to take a good 1 year less to build than this Tron Lightcycle coaster. Maybe Seaworld and Universal pay their contractors more so they work harder/faster?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post

Meanwhile Sea worlds new coaster started under 6 months ago and is scheduled for 9 months time?

I can understand there will be a difference in size/quality but it does seem a strangely long amount of time. Ratatouille is similar but at least it includes the expansion of the France pavilion streets.
It’s to make sure you have to rebook and visit again. Like in 2017 Pandora, 2018 Toy story land, 2019 Star Wars land, 2020 Ratatouille and Mickey and Minnie’s runaway train, 2021 Guardians of the Galaxy coaster and Tron and 2023 Mary Poppins attraction.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
To me, Epcot is all about World Showcase 1st, with rides (Soarin', Test Track) second, and the fountains/globe third (for iconic family photos). The area in front of World showcase always struck me as great swathes of sterile concrete, particularly walking to Test Track - definitely in need of tlc and new ideas.

Boards hiding construction may take a little of the initial magic, but once past and onto the bridges to cross to Canada/France etc, that's me back in the "zone" as it were.

That's what I love about Epcot, the different lands, wondering how (in)accurate they all are based on their twee interpretation of the UK!... that and Mitsukoshi in Japan: adore that place.
I'm the same re World Showcase, I love it. I set myself a challenge when I was there last month, to get sweets/chocolate from each country! I managed it and came back with quite a haul 😀
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List