Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Oct 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile Back Problems - New Mattress Needed!

My back and shoulder are in constant knots 😭 I used to see a physio occasionally but now it’s become almost constant and the cost of physio became a bit too much.

Last night, my shoulder was so sore I was almost in tears. Every position I tried hurt more than the last. I ended up grabbing a big blanket from the living room and sleeping on the floor! I can’t take this mattress anymore - I guess it’s a little old (maybe about 5 or 6 years?) and it was expensive new, but I think that’s whats making everything so much worse.

SO - does anyone have any mattress suggestions? Are the Simbas/Caspers/Emmas really that good? We’re going to need something firm, and ideally TODAY!
Old 12 Oct 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

We bought a Mammoth mattress about 2 and half years ago, they are made from medical foam, not memory foam. It was the best thing we ever did, no more back ache or sore shoulders. The only problem now is when we go on holiday, I usually can't wait to get back to our bed.
We bought the mammoth 3000, which is medium soft mattress, it might be too soft for you, but they do sell lots of different types. I think the mattress on it's own was nearly £2000, but for us it was worth every penny.
Go to bed shop and try them out, I hope get sorted soon.
Old 12 Oct 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

We got a Simba because dh was getting sciatica on our old mattress which he found too hard- I liked it
Now we have a Simba he’s fine and I get a sore back 😭

What are your pillows like? They can make a big difference to shoulders and neck

Edited at 10:07 AM.
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

What job do you do? Or hobby? Could that be making it worse?
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

My husband had a very bad back and we bought a new mattress. Had it made by a company in Glasgow as we have an american king bed.

His back is now perfect.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

I have had shoulder surgery on both sides and I love our Leesa mattress, firm but not hard, soft but not sinking! It is made of latex so not as hot as memory foam (and I am a lady of a certain age! ) Only thing is that it is quite heavy, luckily it doesn't need turning but does require spinning end to end IYKWIM. We were so impressed with ours that we bought them for the kids as well.

Agree with another poster - is it something you are doing? Mine are both bad at the moment due to packing and cleaning for our move. They also get sore if I hunch over the computer, more so if I use my phone or laptop on my lap! Good luck with working something out, shoulder pain is so debilitating, my kids call me TRex arms because its like my upper arms are glued to my sides and I can only use my lower arms but attached to my waist. xx
Old 12 Oct 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks all for your replies. I have a desk job with 2 screens, and I know for definite that’s either the cause or a huge factor. I need to get one of those desk assessments and maybe a fancy chair so I’ll be asking HR about it soon.

Our pillows are also rubbish! I sleep on either my left side or my front so any pillow suggestions are also very welcome!

The pain starts at my lower neck and wraps around my left shoulder blade. It’s driving me absolutely crazy! 😭 We’re on our way to Bensons for Beds so will report back!
Old 12 Oct 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
I have had shoulder surgery on both sides and I love our Leesa mattress, firm but not hard, soft but not sinking! It is made of latex so not as hot as memory foam (and I am a lady of a certain age! ) Only thing is that it is quite heavy, luckily it doesn't need turning but does require spinning end to end IYKWIM. We were so impressed with ours that we bought them for the kids as well.

Agree with another poster - is it something you are doing? Mine are both bad at the moment due to packing and cleaning for our move. They also get sore if I hunch over the computer, more so if I use my phone or laptop on my lap! Good luck with working something out, shoulder pain is so debilitating, my kids call me TRex arms because its like my upper arms are glued to my sides and I can only use my lower arms but attached to my waist. xx
Good to know about latex vs memory foam! DH was adamant that latex would be too sweaty but I disagreed. And sorry to hear about your pain ☹️ It really is the worst xx
Old 12 Oct 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Another vote for Mammouth. They are recommended by Chiropractic Association or something similar and are VAT if you get your physio or doctor to sign the form they give you as classed as medical device.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MsMinervaMouse View Post
Thanks all for your replies. I have a desk job with 2 screens, and I know for definite that’s either the cause or a huge factor. I need to get one of those desk assessments and maybe a fancy chair so I’ll be asking HR about it soon.

Our pillows are also rubbish! I sleep on either my left side or my front so any pillow suggestions are also very welcome!

The pain starts at my lower neck and wraps around my left shoulder blade. It’s driving me absolutely crazy! 😭 We’re on our way to Bensons for Beds so will report back!
Definitely get your desk reviewed.

Your monitors should be at eye level - when you sit back in your chair the top of monitor should be level with your eyes. If you reach your arms out together in front, they should be at the tips of your fingers. Just alter them when you are in work next.

Is it both shoulders or more your mouse arm or phone arm? If so, move your mouse or phone to other side. Get a headset for the phone if you don't already have one. Get a different mouse. A roller bar one sits in front of your keyboard so you won't need to stretch your arm.

Have your eyes tested so your not squinting forward?

Get your chair adjusted. It should have adjustable arms that can support your arms.

Take all your breaks and lunch AWAY from your desk. Too many people don't.

You probably spend as much time at your desk as in work so it's just as important as your bed.

What do you then do in your spare time? Any stretching or exercise? Or just sat lounging on the sofa watching TV? What do you Dibb on? Is that effectively your posture too?
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List