Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Trip Planning Florida
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Orlando Attractions
Unread 21 Oct 19, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
JimF
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Wow, you definitely did get on board in the VERY early days! Yes, it would have been the first edition (which came out in Dec 95), so you were among our very first readers!

And who else remembers those rather tortuous flights via Bangor? Nine hours non-stop seems slow today, but that re-fuelling stop just made the journey take all day!
I remember flying from a gloomy, drizzly Gatwick in November in the early 90's on our first visit, and landing at Bangor. The door opened and cold air blew in as a man in a fur hooded parka appeared from a snowstorm. The flight continued and the travelogue on the overhead screens was Anna Walker about skiing in Switzerland. We arrived in Orlando to terrific heat as we moved to immigration on what I remember as an outside walkway. The plane was a single aisle with a very tight seat pitch and I can't remember the airline. Flew Virgin after that. We had no expectations on that first trip, but were minded to go back as soon as possible.
JimF is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
The great cherry danish hunt.
Unread 21 Oct 19, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by JimF View Post
I remember flying from a gloomy, drizzly Gatwick in November in the early 90's on our first visit, and landing at Bangor. The door opened and cold air blew in as a man in a fur hooded parka appeared from a snowstorm. The flight continued and the travelogue on the overhead screens was Anna Walker about skiing in Switzerland. We arrived in Orlando to terrific heat as we moved to immigration on what I remember as an outside walkway. The plane was a single aisle with a very tight seat pitch and I can't remember the airline. Flew Virgin after that. We had no expectations on that first trip, but were minded to go back as soon as possible.
My very first trip was in February, via Bangor, hence I can relate to that cold blast! It wasn't snowing but there WAS snow (and ice) on the ground. Felt very alien. I think the plane was a 757 (max range, 3,900 miles; Gatwick to Bangor, 3,084), so it would have felt cramped for that long; our package was with Cosmos so I'm not sure who we actually flew with. My old scrapbook would probably tell me (if I could find it! ).
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Triciamcl
VIP Dibber

Triciamcl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I pre ordered as usual and have just checked with Amazon to see if it was released yet, as usual I cant wait, this will be my 12 edition. ( Spooky that I then Come onto the Dibb and here is your post !)
We always look forward to it and a copy has been devoured and taken with us on each and every trip and on the years we havent gone we still bought it as usually one of our kids was going instead
We have spent many evenings pouring over your Book enjoying our trip planning.
Thanks you so much for all the info, help and advice over the years, it has truly been invaluable.

2010 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2011 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2012 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2015 POFQ, RPR and DOUBLETREE RESORT
2017 POFQ

2020 NYC, RPR& Doubletree Resort
Triciamcl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Big Apple and Big Rides
Unread 21 Oct 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Chair1519
Imagineer

Chair1519's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Genuinely well done on creating an institution. You should be very proud. Given the amount of difficulty it must be I have to presume your photograph was taken many years ago! If not then I am in the wrong business.
Chair1519 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

We were gifted this book before our first WDW visit in 2002. Despite our fellow travellers on their third visit, we knew more through this book and the Dibb than them.
BarryandCaron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 19, 03:32 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Triciamcl View Post
I pre ordered as usual and have just checked with Amazon to see if it was released yet, as usual I cant wait, this will be my 12 edition. ( Spooky that I then Come onto the Dibb and here is your post !)
We always look forward to it and a copy has been devoured and taken with us on each and every trip and on the years we havent gone we still bought it as usually one of our kids was going instead
We have spent many evenings pouring over your Book enjoying our trip planning.
Thanks you so much for all the info, help and advice over the years, it has truly been invaluable.
Well congrats, you make it into the Delightful Dozen Club! We truly love to hear that kind of story. Really makes our work worthwhile.

PS: We hope the new issue should be out around Oct 31. The cover was a bit late going to print, but it shouldn't be far away.
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 19, 03:33 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
Genuinely well done on creating an institution. You should be very proud. Given the amount of difficulty it must be I have to presume your photograph was taken many years ago! If not then I am in the wrong business.
OK, the photo may be a few (*cough, cough!*) years old, but definitely this century
Unread 22 Oct 19, 03:35 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
We were gifted this book before our first WDW visit in 2002. Despite our fellow travellers on their third visit, we knew more through this book and the Dibb than them.
There's nothing like being prepared for an Orlando holiday, and that will definitely do it

In all seriousness, this is definitely the kind of holiday that needs some serious 'homework,' and those who do their due diligence either with a guidebook or here on the DIBB will definitely be a step (or three) ahead of the pack