Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 17 Aug 19, 02:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Great start, the breakfasts all look good. I always forget to check for discounts for the airport restaurants! I'll do better next time!
Thanks Abby, can’t believe you’re back home already! I almost forgot, then had a brainwave to check the My Gatwick website whilst we were there!
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Mobile Day 2 - Portofino Bay - Thursday 16th August

As we have club lounge access we had breakfast there. It was a really good selection. Hot food was sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs and breakfast potatoes (potato wedges with onion and peppers)

There were also lots of pastries, bread and a toaster, cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurt and a bit randomly hard boiled eggs, as well as juice and coffee.

In Hogsmeade we went into the Hog’s Head and got a butterbeer to share. Sebastian didn’t like it at all,Alex only liked the creamy topping, I wasn’t that keen either, so most was drunk by David who thought it was ok. Cost $8.51

We came back to the hotel in the middle of the day for a nap for Barnaby. We got some vegetable crisps and cheese Doritos from the lounge as well as drinks. The selection at lunch is just a few snacks so not worth coming back specially for

We went back to the lounge for evening food. Tonight was Asian which was sweet and sour fish (battered white fish), jasmine rice and stir fry vegetables. There were also bread rolls and salad. This was quite nice but the fish was a little dry. The lounge also serves alcohol so David and I had a Peroni and glass of wine

The boys weren’t that keen on the food and we’re still hungry. We went and got a large pizza from Sal’s downstairs which is counter service, half cheese half pepperoni. This was cooked fresh to order and was just over $19. In the end they couldn’t eat it all (should have got a small!) and it was great.

The lounge serves sweet treats from 8 so we went back, tonight was cookies, red velvet cake and key lime pies. There is also milk and coffee. All the desserts were lovely
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Food looking amazing so far! Following along
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 03:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Mobile Day 3 - Portofino Bay - Friday 16th August

We had breakfast again in the club lounge, no new photos as it was the same food selection as yesterday.

We had a middle of the day break from the parks and got some crisps from the lounge, Alex also had some toast and jam. We then had Voodoo doughnuts which we had actually bought the day before but failed to eat! Alex had the Dirt, I had the Voodoo Doll, Sebastian a chocolate one, David a mango something and Barnaby a Loop. Barnaby insisted on this one (despite calling it the marshmallow one), we predicted he wouldn’t actually like the fruit loops, and sure enough he didn’t! The rest of us enjoyed them, though I would have liked less jam. Cost $14.33

Dinner we went back to the club lounge for. Tonight was European night, which was beef casserole (slightly oddly with olives in), mash and broccoli. I thought all of this was really tasty, and the boys ate decently too from some combination of what was on offer.
Apologies that I started eating before remembering to take the photo!

Back again for desserts, tonight was the usual cookies plus tiramisu and cannelloni. Tiramisu isn’t a dessert I always like but this one was lovely, the cannelloni not so great, I wasn’t that keen on the filling
Old 19 Aug 19, 03:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Mobile Day 4 - Portofino Bay - Saturday 17th August

Breakfast was in the club lounge again, there was a variation with the hot food today with hash browns instead of breakfast potatoes. I don’t think I mentioned the baked beans before, these were darker than normal baked beans, though the boys still liked them (Sebastian was intrigued that the label said they contained pork though!)

In IOA I treated Alex to a churro as he has gone on about his love of churros, this came with hot chocolate sauce from a lemon slush stand just outside Seuss Land and was $6.38

On the way back to the hotel in the middle of the day, David, Alex and Barnaby went to Cold Stone Creamery. I wasn’t fussed and Sebastian doesn’t like most ice cream, so we headed back ahead (though a broken down boat meant we actually met up with them again at the bus stop!)
David failed to take a photo despite me telling him to, but they were enormous waffle cones, Barnaby had vanilla, Alex Oreo cookie dough and David pistachio. They cost an eye watering $26.46

Dinner in the club lounge was Italian, and was ziti (pasta in a creamy tomato sauce), sausages and peppers and roasted vegetables. I though the pasta was really good, the sausages ok but David and Alex loved them. Sebastian didn’t like anything!

As Sebastian had only had some bread I got him a child’s pepperoni pizza from Sal’s for $7.41 which he enjoyed.

Desserts tonight were cookies, strawberry cheesecake and chocolate pannacotta. The pannacotta looked good but was disappointing, the cheesecake was great.

We moved to Disney today so my report will start to get more varied!
Old 19 Aug 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
chicken nuggets on the plane, happy days
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Mobile Day 5 - Portofino Bay and Storybook Dining

This morning we had our final breakfast in the club lounge, as yesterday it as hash browns. We all agreed the club level had been well worth doing, all the food was good and we saved a fortune in drinks alone as there were always bottles of water and cans of coke.

We had a last morning in Universal before moving on to Disney. Mid morning we got a Big Pink doughnut in the Simpsons area. This was $7 something and huge, we shared between us.

Our first Disney meal was Storybook Dining. We had a 4.55 reservation and were about 10 min early. We were seated straight away. Our server said we could have a soft drink as well as alcoholic on the dining plan. I had a sparkling wine and David a beer.

The starters were shared with mushroom bisque, shrimp cocktail and chicken terrine. Enough bisque was brought for all 5 of us but the children also got a separate starter (including Alex who at 10 is a Disney adult). This included a pot to make your own butter.

The mushroom bisque was the highlight for me

For mains I had prime rib, as did Sebastian, David had pork shank, Alex had roast chicken and Barnaby chicken tenders

We all thought the food was brilliant, my prime rib tasted great, Sebastian cleared all of his, and David and Alex both said their meat was very tender. I have read lots of mixed reviews so we seem to have been lucky.

Desserts were again shared, gooseberry pie, poison apple chocolate mousse, sponge cake and popcorn.

I really liked the gooseberry pie, the sponge cake was ok, but I wasn’t keen on the poison apple. Sebastian ate all the popcorn, none of the children liked the desserts.

Overall a great meal for us, the characters were good fun and the Evil Queen brilliant, and our server was very good too
Old 21 Aug 19, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm glad to read your experience was better than ours. The pork shank and chicken do look lovely. I think my two would have liked the children's starter with the make your own butter, but I didn't think to ask if they could have this instead.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Everything looks great so far. Like the look of Storybook dining as we have it booked for our last night.
Old 25 Aug 19, 04:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Sorry for getting so behind, we are now in the villa and a bit more relaxed so I will try and catch up a bit!

Originally Posted by Kissedafrog View Post
Thanks for sharing, loving the pictures 💕
I could eat that churro now 🤣
I think Alex would say he could always eat a churro!

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
chicken nuggets on the plane, happy days
It definitely made the boys happy, they were desperately hoping for the same as last year on the plane!

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I'm glad to read your experience was better than ours. The pork shank and chicken do look lovely. I think my two would have liked the children's starter with the make your own butter, but I didn't think to ask if they could have this instead.
It’s a shame you didn’t have a better experience. I hadn’t asked for Alex to have the children’s starter, i thought it was nice that the server brought him one

Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
Everything looks great so far. Like the look of Storybook dining as we have it booked for our last night.
Hope you enjoy Storybook Dining too