Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 9 Sep 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Thank you so much for reporting back with your thoughts. Sounds like RC is defo a better fit for you both, but you got to visit some beautiful places at a good price - and well done on making sandwiches - inspired!

We're DCL stalwarts as you know but are book to go on Celebrity next October with my sister as she keeps badgering us to join her.
The worst that can happen is we don't do it again but we're actually really looking forward to it.

Joa
Which ship Joa? We love Celebrity but its definitely not DCL. (I haven’t actually sailed Disney yet but imagine its amazing!j

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridag1rl
Apprentice Imagineer

WE are booked on the Iona next June, it will be my third cruise to the Ffords, really looking forward to being on the ship.
Old 9 Sep 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
We should definitley have planned Olden better to make the most of it. Is that the glacier sightseeing bus we saw going from port? We were going to do that but my 3yr old nephew was very adamant he wanted us to go on the train!
The glacier express shuttle bus from the port is quite expensive and a similar price to the ship’s shuttle, around £53pp. The public bus goes up to Briksdal parking area and returns 3 hours later for £12pp return. The walk from where all the tours drop off to the glacier would be a challenge for a 3 year old but they have troll cars (six seater 4 wheel drive vehicles) that little ones would love - adults as well, up to the glacier, but they do get booked up with ship passengers.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Having just been on a P&O cruise, I can certainly relate to some of your points. On every cruise we have been on before this, the cruise director is everywhere, on this one we hardly saw him.
Our waiter in the mdr was a right grump.
Having said that, we had a great time and, apart from the waiter, the staff were great.
We was on the Oceana.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by stecee View Post
Having just been on a P&O cruise, I can certainly relate to some of your points. On every cruise we have been on before this, the cruise director is everywhere, on this one we hardly saw him.
Having said that, we had a great time and, apart from the waiter, the staff were great.
We was on the Oceana.
We definitley interacted with lots of great staff, and in fact a few nice ones in the MDR too. It seemed to be the freedom dining dinner waiters who were just sooooo grumpy. I have to wonder if it's related to P&O scrapping the gratuities.

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
The glacier express shuttle bus from the port is quite expensive and a similar price to the ship’s shuttle, around £53pp. The public bus goes up to Briksdal parking area and returns 3 hours later for £12pp return. The walk from where all the tours drop off to the glacier would be a challenge for a 3 year old but they have troll cars (six seater 4 wheel drive vehicles) that little ones would love - adults as well, up to the glacier, but they do get booked up with ship passengers.
Thanks will definitley keep that in mind if there's a next time. I don't think any of us would have been up for a hike as I'm pregnant, my mum has Parkinson's and my sister had the 3yr old but the troll cars sound fun! Next time we'll plan in advance better

Originally Posted by Floridag1rl View Post
WE are booked on the Iona next June, it will be my third cruise to the Ffords, really looking forward to being on the ship.
Iona looks really nice and like P&O is stepping away from their more traditional ships to do something fun and exciting. That indoor pool will definitley be a huge bonus in the fjords!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stecee View Post
We was on the Oceana.
We’ve just booked one of the cheap winter itineraries on Oceana - do you have any ship specific recommendations or tips? Thanks.

Edited at 11:10 AM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Thanks for that, we have never done p&o and after reading this I'm not sure we will, we tend to favour celebrity as it's classier than some and not as manic as others , I think each cruise line has different things to offer, we liked the entertainment on NCL and the stuff to do on Rccl, never done DLC as they want silly money but I would like to so need to wait for a good deal on that . Cunard was nice but very dressy so if you don't want to dress up avoid them.
It is a bit of a minefield when it comes to choosing a cruise, bit it's a great way to hòliday
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Which ship Joa? We love Celebrity but its definitely not DCL. (I haven’t actually sailed Disney yet but imagine its amazing!j
We'll be on the Silhouette. It's the 19th October 2020 sailing from Southampton.
My sister booked it onboard for us last week - we got $500 OBC, an in category room upgrade, lower deposit (£118 total) and free classics drink package.

I've been on a tour of a Celebrity ship so I know they're lovely looking inside already. It will defo be different but we are both going for it with eyes wide open. <<< like that!

Joa
Old 10 Sep 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
Thanks for that, we have never done p&o and after reading this I'm not sure we will, we tend to favour celebrity as it's classier than some and not as manic as others , I think each cruise line has different things to offer, we liked the entertainment on NCL and the stuff to do on Rccl, never done DLC as they want silly money but I would like to so need to wait for a good deal on that . Cunard was nice but very dressy so if you don't want to dress up avoid them.
It is a bit of a minefield when it comes to choosing a cruise, bit it's a great way to hòliday
DCL don't really do deals as they have no need to. Their ships sail full most of the time.
Best thing is to book on opening day when the itineraries are first released, you will get the best pricing then.

Like you say, each cruise line offers different things .. DCL is all inclusive bar the alcohol (bar - get it?! ). It has free youth activity areas open from at least 9am to midnight (longer for the teens), entertainment during dining, rotational dining so you don't miss anything, free cinema, adult only areas, award winning shows, characters obvs, unbelievable customer service, in room TV/films on demand and much more BUT, that doesn't suit some people and that's fine.

DCL has the first of 3 new ships coming out in early 2022 and I'm hoping they do something for the teens - I believe they will have rooms suitable for larger families and the innovation within the youth activity spaces will continue. But nobody knows what's planned right now.

Joa

Joa
Old 10 Sep 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
We would love to do a DCL cruise when baby is old enough but the prices make me sweat. Maybe one day lol.

I wouldn't want to totally put you off trying P&O- we would consider them again based solely on price but would definitley rank them lower on experience than NCL, RCI and Princess. They certainly aren't a 'never again' like MSC was for us lol. Perhaps if we really wanted to focus on itinerary rather than ship it would be worth it. And it could be that Iona marks the start of them stepping up their ship game.

Edited at 10:30 AM.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List