Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Oct 19, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
A phone call will give a much better result than email. Just my opinion.
I understand that. However the ICO require the companies response to my complaint to be in writing. Therefore the need to email.

You and some others may feel I am over reacting. However as you will see from many of the other responses for others who have been in the same situation they don't.

I will not be responding further.
Dinglebert is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
I understand that. However the ICO require the companies response to my complaint to be in writing. Therefore the need to email.

You and some others may feel I am over reacting. However as you will see from many of the other responses for others who have been in the same situation they don't.

I will not be responding further.
And different opinions is what you will get on a discussion forum and in life. And different opinions are a symptom of diversity. And that is a good thing in my view.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Im sorry to hear of the loss of your mum so recently, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Was the contract you had with the local crematorium itself or the main company? If the contract was with the main company did it mention anywhere being able to contact you later about other services which may be of interest to you.

The loss of loved ones is sensitive at any time, but some people may not know or be able to take in during funeral discussions, at what is a difficult time anyway, about how to perhaps deal with plaques, or the fact that ashes can be made into jewellery. My friend lost her mum and was extremely sad she didn’t know about the possibility of memorial jewellery, as it was something she said she would have looked at herself. By the time she became aware of it through other people having had a loss, it was too late for her. I think in her case, although still grieving and upset at her loss, the information may have been useful to her personally.

Sadly with the loss of loved ones it may be helpful to know the options which are available. But when is the right time following a loss. It’s a sensitive time, so people will all react differently.
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

As someone who works in marketing and has complied GDRP policies, this is my opinion.

A company can only use your details to contact you in connection with the original reason for collecting your details. In this case the OP gave their details for the specific reason of the cremation service. Therefore the company can only use the contact information to contact the OP regarding the cremation service, ie payment and collection of the urn and ashes.

A company can not use their database of customer contact information to contact you to promote other products or services. In this case the OP was contacted after the original transaction, for the sole reason of promoting other products.This is a violation GDPR

A company can not put in their small print / Ts & Cs " we may contact you to offer you further services and products which may be of interest to you" As a customer, by law you have to OPT IN to marketing communications. The company can not have an automatic opt in, which you have to opt out.

All marketing and promotional emails by law have to be sent using an email service provider such as Mailchimp or Campaign monitor. All marketing and promotional emails by law must state
  1. Why you are receiving the email
  2. Where you signed up to the mailing list
  3. The physical address of the sender
  4. An opt out / unsubscribe option

As a customer , under GDPR you have the right to contact any company and request a copy of the information they hold about you. This is called a Subject Access Request. A company must officially document all Subject Access Requests, and are not allowed to charge you for requesting your information. They must give you this information within 30 days of the request.

As a customer , under GDPR you have the right to request that all information held about you is deleted and removed from the companys database.

There is alot more to GDPR which I wont bore you with, but essentially, it is very comprehensive and covers everything from the companys website, to email marketing, to CCTV, to recording phone conversations, to employees and contractors.

Many businesses, even now over a year and a half after GDPR became law do not understand the rules. Many businesses are violating GDPR without realising it.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Morganza
slightly serious Dibber

When I went with my niece and nephew to arrange my sister's funeral I was a bit taken aback to be given a brochure about jewellery made from her ashes. She had only died a few days before and her children (teens) were still in shock.

A year on, I'm now thinking the jewellery might be a nice thing to do for her children. (rather than her ashes sitting in a horrible plastic container in my hall cupboard) . That experience in the funeral parlour puts me right off. Terribly inappropriate and insensitive.

Good for you for complaining!
Morganza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Update

I have spoken to the ICO this morning and the answer is interesting and surprising. The company concerned would have no right to contact me by text or email unless I give specific consent which I have not done. However they are allowed to send me surface mail until I object.

Therefore as the ICO agreed they get one free go at advertising. They have to stop if I tell them to stop and if they ignored that they would be in breach. However surface mail is treated differently under the law than other methods of communication.

I have informed the company concerned to not contact me by any means of communication if future.

Thought it may be of interest.
Dinglebert is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sorry to hear of your loss and I’m glad the issue was resolved in so much as it can br
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Glad you got it sorted.
It wouldn't personally have bothered me but I understand I might feel differently if I was grieving the loss of a loved one.
I don't actually see it as upselling, more offering a service that people might not know existed! Someone might want a plaque or jewellery made and may find it easier to be given the details rather than go hunting for it.
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Update

I have spoken to the ICO this morning and the answer is interesting and surprising. The company concerned would have no right to contact me by text or email unless I give specific consent which I have not done. However they are allowed to send me surface mail until I object.

Therefore as the ICO agreed they get one free go at advertising. They have to stop if I tell them to stop and if they ignored that they would be in breach. However surface mail is treated differently under the law than other methods of communication.

I have informed the company concerned to not contact me by any means of communication if future.

Thanks for the update
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Update

Does that mean they (legally) were not in the wrong sending you what they did ?
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List