Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Oct 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I retire on Friday! Looking forward to it as I have just had enough and do not want to work anymore, I've had to wait till I get my pension as couldn't afford to leave before. Also a bit worried about the social side as I work with a great team of people and will miss the daily chit chat and banter.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

For me I will retire once I am financially stable enough to do so. I work to live, I don’t live to work and although I am in a good job, it is just a job to me.

The other half is an I.T engineer, so it will be interesting what will happen with him and work as he gets older, he loves his job so I can’t see him wanting to retire early!
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I am a part time pensioner... 55 and took my civil service pension early (health problems) but kept my very lovely, very part time job. Best of both worlds really.

Won't get my state pension (realistic/fatalistic/both) so want to get some benefit from having worked all those hours!
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

A colleague of mine will be 71 next month. He doesn't want to retire but others notice he seems frail and sometimes has memory and word finding problems. It's very difficult because he wants to carry on but others feel he will make a big mistake at some point and be managed out under a cloud.
Personally I will go when my boys are independent and the time feels right. DH is already semi- retired. He's 11 years older than me. I might still work part time if it suits me. We are already making plans for trips we want to do when the day comes.
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Worked hard for 37 yrs as did my wife and now both retired. Can't discount the definite bonus we both had of a final salary pension and appreciate that won't be the case for others. She has retained hers for accessing few yrs down the line whilst I have moved mine to income drawdown where I can access as and when I need to. I do some voluntary driving too to keep me busy. Did not hate my job as such but a couple of family illnesses, the attitude of younger generation towards work and the shameful way that some of the public now behave towards people just trying to do their job - some people are very brave on the other end of a phone! - just got to me eventually and I didn't need it. Feel fortunate we can make the choice.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

My mum retired shortly after having a heart attack at 60. She kind of took stock of her life and thought you never know what's round the corner, she was in itu ended up having a few stents fitted. Mum was a nurse all her days, so luckily had a good pension and lump sum.

Shortly after she retired my nana (her mum) was diagnosed with lung cancer, nana used to joke that's was the reason my mum had retired so she could look after her, she wasn't wrong really, mum nursed nana until she went into hospice.

Mu mum now is enjoying life, endless going out for catch ups and cuppas with her friends, shes also just got a job as a home help for a lady in her 90s and is really enjoying this.

My dad is going to retire next year at 58, his job is a physically demanding one and he is struggling as his knees and back are not great. Dad is looking forward to joining mum in retirement. They have worked so hard all their days, it's time they took time for themselves.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando Soon
Imagineer

Originally Posted by taylaboo View Post
Snap! I retired in my late 50's due to health problems. Luckily my mum made me take out a private pension when I started work. I was against it at the time but so glad I did. I'm a WASPI woman and have had to wait an extra 5 years 9 months for my state pension. No way would I want to be working into my 80's.
I think the WASPI women’s plight it one of the biggest injustices of recent times. Women who brought up the next generation on the basis they would get pensions at 60, but suddenly changed, not a progressive roll out as other changes. I am fortunate dw still works but is considering retiring next year at 62 will have to wait 4 years for her state pension, but luckily like you has a private one she’s paid into. As for me the right time to retire is when I feel I am no longer making a positive difference to the service users I support.
Old 20 Oct 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveLeith
Very Serious Dibber

I’d like to retire when I’m 60, I’ll make an appointment to see an IFA next year when I’m 55 to discuss whether it’s financially feasible or not. I paid off our mortgage with my redundancy money 10 years ago and have a FS pension payable from age 60 plus a small personal pension I’m paying into with current employer (only work 2 days a week but really don’t enjoy it). I’m hoping the latter pension can bridge the gap until I pick up my state pension age 67.
Old 20 Oct 19, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

I retired at 48 and never intend to work again