Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Oct 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
The asda worker clearly is out of her depth being on the fish counter (did you like the pun).

She was talking complete and utter rubbish and beggars belief that she actually believes what she said to you. I would have asked to see the manager as this staff member needs some basic training.

Many years ago I worked with a guy who went into a supermarket and asked the assistant behind the meat counter for 5 quarters of ham. The shop assistant said he couldn't do that and he would have to have a pound and a quarter in the same bag. My colleague than asked if he could just have a quarter of ham then keep coming back for the other quarters of ham, and the assistant said he couldn't stop him from doing that. My colleague involved the store manager who told the assistant that if a customer wants 5 quarters of ham in separate bags, then he will serve them 5 quarters of ham in 5 seperate bags (which he did)😀.
Nowadays you are lucky if they give you one bag never mind 5 bags! People never fail to amaze me. Where has logic gone?
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by klr15 View Post
To be fair to the woman behind the counter she might have believed that to be true and could have been worried about her job.

I get asked to do a lot of things in my job and customers get really upset when I refuse, but I have a mortgage to pay and I can’t just break the rules.

I remember when I used to work in McDonald’s and they got really funny over only giving one sauce per meal, a woman was screaming in my face because I wouldn’t give her another, but my manager was around and I was scared to get in trouble and my managers there were horrible.

Not saying you’re wrong, just putting in an other view.
I can understand cutbacks , even Disney are cutting back on their sauces. But this was about purchasing fish not a free sauce, but I do understand where you are coming from.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by I love walmart View Post
Having worked the same department in a big supermarket, I can safely say she was telling the truth.
The management put the fear of god into the staff, especially younger inexperienced staff. She had probably been warned about dates and was being super cautious. I’m not saying her behaviour is right, I’d have been annoyed too.
I’m just saying her manager is probably a complete idiot on a power trip who has scared her.
I wasn't annoyed just bemused by it. But like you said some managers are really not approachable to their staff and maybe she was scared of him.
Old 20 Oct 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 View Post
I can understand cutbacks , even Disney are cutting back on their sauces. But this was about purchasing fish not a free sauce, but I do understand where you are coming from.
I know, it was just an example. Even in my current job (I won’t use examples from there) I have lots of occasions when I can’t do something for a customer that seems simple to the customer, but it could cost me my job.

It was more the meaning behind the example I was getting at, that the woman was maybe scared of getting into trouble and that’s why she wouldn’t do it.

I agree it isn’t common sense the way it was handled, but so many people (myself included in the past) have been puppets to our managers and do what we have to for an easy life.

klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Bless her. She had clearly been drilled by an idiot and took everything she was told to heart.

It can't have been easy to be on the receiving end of that exchange, either.

It all used to be so simple.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
In fairness to the TGi staff in Wembley they have had alot of issues with dodgy people eating everything on the menu (especially the desserts) and then doing a runner without paying. Perhaps you fitted the description of someone who has previously done that
I very rarely have dessert as have no room for it when we eat out, you obviously haven’t seen me run lol!
Old 20 Oct 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I believe it too. My son works for another large supermarket chain and some of the petty rules are just astonishing. His own two line managers a pretty reasonable but if neither of them is on shift he gets all sort of nonsense from some of the others. We are away at the moment and the other day he was asked to work late. He said that he could but would need to take a long enough break to pop home and take the dogs out. Reply was that he would be on a disciplinary if he did that. So he said in that case he wouldn't work late and would just do his contracted hours then go home. The following day his manager was in and was annoyed that nobody had worked late the previous evening because there had been a late delivery. My son told her what had happened and that he had been quite willing to take a break for the dogs, come back and work late. She went off to have words with the other manager. But that sort of thing happens on a regular basis. Cannot for the life of me fathom what grounds the idiot thought he would have for a disciplinary.
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Island mamma View Post
I believe it too. My son works for another large supermarket chain and some of the petty rules are just astonishing. His own two line managers a pretty reasonable but if neither of them is on shift he gets all sort of nonsense from some of the others. We are away at the moment and the other day he was asked to work late. He said that he could but would need to take a long enough break to pop home and take the dogs out. Reply was that he would be on a disciplinary if he did that. So he said in that case he wouldn't work late and would just do his contracted hours then go home. The following day his manager was in and was annoyed that nobody had worked late the previous evening because there had been a late delivery. My son told her what had happened and that he had been quite willing to take a break for the dogs, come back and work late. She went off to have words with the other manager. But that sort of thing happens on a regular basis. Cannot for the life of me fathom what grounds the idiot thought he would have for a disciplinary.
Little managers like to go on power trips from my own experience. Sad but true.
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Island mamma View Post
WHAT! That beggars belief. You don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Old 20 Oct 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
min
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I was in ASDA, at the pizza counter and asked them to make me a cheese and tomato pizza...The guy said he couldn’t because they had ‘run out of tomatoes” So I pointed to fruit n veg aisle not 10 feet away, and said there’s loads of tomatoes there...we can’t use them says he🤔😳

Whaddya mean were not allowed on the couch?
min is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List