Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Oct 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
The OP scenario is ridiculous . Not the assistant’s fault but the policy she has been asked to follow . But intentionally putting something in the reduced counter before it’s got to its natural age to be put there surely isn’t right ? Yes open up the new pack but surely still try to sell the end piece from the initial fish at full price to the following customers ?
You could leave it in place and hope it would sell. I was only speaking from my experience and what used to sell and what didn’t. And generally the skinny tail bit when sat next to some chunky bits didn’t. You can do small discounts on stuff while it’s still sat on the counter. Even a 10% off would usually shift it.
My point is that the staff used to be experienced and trusted and able to use their brain. It’s all being lost now. And it’s often because these stores are only handing out 12 hour contracts. These are usually taken up by students who are not passionate about the job (and I don’t blame them). They are given minimal training (a video and a quiz on an IPad). Plus they are in fear of middle managers who often treat them badly.
The counters section of the supermarket used to be seen as something a bit special, nowadays it’s seen more as a thorn in the side financially for the company and is not run with the care it used to be.
I love walmart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
loopylaura
Serious Dibber

I work in a supermarket café... for my sins... To those who say just go and get it from the shop floor..I wish we could. We have an authorised shopping list that we have to stick to. A good majority of the items come from the shop but we also have a lot of items that are produced just for the café. If we run out of any of those we are not allowed to transfer similar items to use. Mental I know but it is really difficult sometimes trying to explain to customers that "yes we are a supermarket but we are not allowed to just go and get anything we like".

One of the reasons is that each meal produced is calorie counted and for allergen reasons, as if we use a different item in a meal it will change the meal dynamics. Hope I've explained this logically.!

Another thing that gripes me is that we have to charge for really silly things, like an extra butter, marmalade or marmite with toast etc when we give out sauces for free with meals
loopylaura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by I love walmart View Post
Er yes, lack of common sense on the STAFF part! (Namely management staff). Why would I mean the customer?
God, I feel like I’m back behind the damned counter with customers having a go at me for managements decisions 🙄
Sorry my apologies, I read the first part of your post as you meant it was lack of common sense on the customers part, so I apologise for reading that wrong.
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
wikkle jan
Imagineer

wikkle jan's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would of told her ok i will have the small bit and then the bigger bit and when she had bagged them up individually i would hand back the small bit back and say i had changed my mind.. Im sure she wouldnt of been told off for that...
wikkle jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Beggars belief! However I also had a conversation about a piece of salmon at a fish counter (name and shame - it was Waitrose). I specifically went to the fish counter instead of the fish shelf as I was trying to cut down plastic packaging. I pointed to a nice side of salmon and asked if it would be OK as I was not planning to cook it for 2 days. That's OK, I'll give you one out my back fridge with a longer date, says the helpful boy, and proceeded to cut open a plastic package identical to the ones on the fish shelf, take the side of salmon out, weigh it, wrap it up again in new packaging and hand it to me.
Old 21 Oct 19, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by min View Post
I was in ASDA, at the pizza counter and asked them to make me a cheese and tomato pizza...The guy said he couldn’t because they had ‘run out of tomatoes” So I pointed to fruit n veg aisle not 10 feet away, and said there’s loads of tomatoes there...we can’t use them says he🤔😳
That is correct. My DW has worked the Pizza counter in Asda for over 15 years and this has always been the case. But don’t blame the min wage staff, blame the policy of the company. My DW has been given warnings by management in the past for getting veg from the fresh food isle.
So now, with all the new contracts coming in that the staff have to sign or leave, the staff will just do what is asked by management, no more, no less. I’m afraid it’s a sign of the times, with customers demanding lower and lower prices, pressure from the likes of Lidl and Aldi etc, the staff are the ones that suffer. My wife has lost a weeks holidays and now her regulation break isn’t paid for. So she would now have to work 4 1/4 hrs to get 4 hrs pay.

The staff at Asda are on a big downer with this, 12000 face the sack on 2nd Nov if the don’t sign up to the new contract.

So bare a thought for them. My DW has had to walk off the counter a few times lately when she gets verbal abuse from customers because they can’t have all the toppings on their pizza.

Rant over,
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
lovemickey
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
That is correct. My DW has worked the Pizza counter in Asda for over 15 years and this has always been the case. But don’t blame the min wage staff, blame the policy of the company. My DW has been given warnings by management in the past for getting veg from the fresh food isle.
So now, with all the new contracts coming in that the staff have to sign or leave, the staff will just do what is asked by management, no more, no less. I’m afraid it’s a sign of the times, with customers demanding lower and lower prices, pressure from the likes of Lidl and Aldi etc, the staff are the ones that suffer. My wife has lost a weeks holidays and now her regulation break isn’t paid for. So she would now have to work 4 1/4 hrs to get 4 hrs pay.

The staff at Asda are on a big downer with this, 12000 face the sack on 2nd Nov if the don’t sign up to the new contract.

So bare a thought for them. My DW has had to walk off the counter a few times lately when she gets verbal abuse from customers because they can’t have all the toppings on their pizza.

Rant over,
As a retail worker in a supermarket, sadly dealing with abuse is becoming more common.
The saying can’t do right for doing wrong describes retail very well sometimes.

Whilst I agree in the op’s case some common sense would have been good, please remember that workers are just following the guidelines set out by their companies. We can get pulled up as to why stock isn’t sold at the end of a day, at a time when food waste is high on the agenda. Maybe that was what this worker was worried about. Common sense doesn’t always win out I’m afraid.
lovemickey is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by wikkle jan View Post
I would of told her ok i will have the small bit and then the bigger bit and when she had bagged them up individually i would hand back the small bit back and say i had changed my mind.. Im sure she wouldnt of been told off for that...
Just do what Some customers do. Leave it on a shelf in some other part of the store along with empty sandwich packs opened pop bottles, open sweets etc.. You have all seen these.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by lovemickey View Post
As a retail worker in a supermarket, sadly dealing with abuse is becoming more common.
The saying can’t do right for doing wrong describes retail very well sometimes.

Whilst I agree in the op’s case some common sense would have been good, please remember that workers are just following the guidelines set out by their companies. We can get pulled up as to why stock isn’t sold at the end of a day, at a time when food waste is high on the agenda. Maybe that was what this worker was worried about. Common sense doesn’t always win out I’m afraid.
I agree, I could write a book on nasty things that have been said to me over the years.

I remember when I worked in one store, I actually had TWO separate customers question why I worked there.

One said
Customer “*it must be really boring working here?”
Me “no, it’s always too busy!”
Customer “did you never fancy uni or weren’t you clever enough for that? My grandson has just got into uni...”
Me “I actually have a degree..”

Funnily enough I had a similar conversation with another old guy about his grand daughter! People just think they can say what they want!

I’ve had cheeseburgers thrown at me, been screamed at over food not coming quick enough, had abuse in an aisle over whipped cream and too many times been spoken to like dirt that has been stepped in or like I have a disease they don’t want to catch!

I do wonder if half of these people have ever actually had a job working in a customer facing role!
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by min View Post
I was in ASDA, at the pizza counter and asked them to make me a cheese and tomato pizza...The guy said he couldn’t because they had ‘run out of tomatoes” So I pointed to fruit n veg aisle not 10 feet away, and said there’s loads of tomatoes there...we can’t use them says he🤔😳

He’s telling the truth they’re not supposed to take things off the shop floor to use on counters.
I worked for ASDA for 13 years and can believe the situation with the fish too the colleague has probably had it drummed into her about getting rid of shorter dated stock first.