Notices

Old 21 Dec 14, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Howdy! Lone Star State 2015

Have just booked our flights to Texas for next year so the planning can officially begin!

Here we are on our West Coast trip earlier this year

We are

Elizabeth (me) Chief Planner and booker of stuff: the Clark Griswold of this family. I make spreadsheets and lists and actually enjoy all the planning, probably because my other alter ego is Monica from Friends!

Paul - main driver on holiday and champion of the Great Outdoors. He has actually done a bit of planning this time and made some suggestions for itinerary. He's in charge of baseball tickets and boot shopping.

Hannah - gorgeous teenager and vegetarian. We are anticipating some difficulties in feeding a veggie in the home of Barbecue but we will be a little more prepared for it this time.

Evan - youngest child, very excited about baseball, cowboys, beaches, space stuff and everything thing to do with road trips. Carnivore.

After waiting for forever for the sales and then being somewhat underwhelmed by the lack of discounts for flights to Texas, we have finally booked a boomerang, going DUB-LHR-DFW and returning IAH-DFW-LHR-MAN with BA. Ryanair flights to Dublin are also booked, along with a hotel at Dublin airport (£30 bargain Premier Inn).

Most hotels are not yet booked but we have chosen to stay in Fort Worth for 3 nights at the start, making sure we can catch the Texas Rangers playing at home. Also planning on a trip to see the Houston Astros later on in the trip.

We have booked the Chisos Mountain Lodge in Big Bend National Park. It's a long way from Dallas to Big Bend but we love the National Parks and think it's worth the trip. Texas is HUGE but we hope to see plenty of it in 3 weeks.

The only other booking so far is a Dude Ranch in Bandera in the Hill Country. This was Paul's idea and we're all super-excited about it. It isn't cheap but we get 2 horse rides a day and all our meals included and the whole experience just sounds so cool. Plus how often do you get a confirmation email that starts "Howdy"?

I haven't found many trip reports on Texas so if anybody can share experiences or point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Edited at 02:06 PM.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 14, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
disneylover
Imagineer

Sounds great. I remember roonlou did a Texan trippie.
Old 22 Dec 14, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
SPN Clann
Imagineer

SPN Clann's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 26
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

Sounds great
2015 - Rosen Inn, International Drive
2016 & 2017 - Our HalloWedding & HalloWedding Anniversary, Caribbean Beach
SPN Clann is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 15, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
meandmyboy
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Oooh just found your pre-trip report! I will definitely be following this as Texas is a possible add on to my 40th birthday trip in 2017! Which dude ranch have you gone for?
Oct/Nov 2017 - SoCal and Hawaii Adventure Trip Report
meandmyboy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 15, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by meandmyboy View Post
Oooh just found your pre-trip report! I will definitely be following this as Texas is a possible add on to my 40th birthday trip in 2017! Which dude ranch have you gone for?
We have booked the Dixie Dude Ranch who have assured us they can feed the potato-hating vegetarian! Really looking forward to it.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 15, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
meandmyboy
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Oh that's the one I had decided on too - great to hear you're going there and will be so interested to read about your experience there!
Oct/Nov 2017 - SoCal and Hawaii Adventure Trip Report
meandmyboy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 15, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
toffeeman0
Excited about Disney

Looking forward to the trip report as this was one of my trip options due to going in April the weather would be favourable. Looking forward to your baseball reports. I was given a tip to try the Red rock baseball club in-between San Antonio and Dallas.
Old 12 Jan 15, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

Originally Posted by toffeeman0 View Post
Looking forward to the trip report as this was one of my trip options due to going in April the weather would be favourable. Looking forward to your baseball reports. I was given a tip to try the Red rock baseball club in-between San Antonio and Dallas.
I hope you don't mind the hi-jack! I checked the Red Rock Baseball Club via google and it doesn't show anything... Do you have a link?
*source* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 15, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
toffeeman0
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by *source* View Post
I hope you don't mind the hi-jack! I checked the Red Rock Baseball Club via google and it doesn't show anything... Do you have a link?
Sorry spelling mistake it is the Round Rock Express Baseball Club

milb/index.jsp?sid=t102
Old 13 Jan 15, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Since your going to see the Rangers you could nip a block or 2 down the street and have a nosey at the Dallas Cowboys stadium. Also if your there late September into October there's the Texas state fair 😄

You may want to look into a toll road pass as there are a couple or so around Dallas and you can take the B route but that makes the journey longer as you have to stop for countless lights. 😒

Edited at 08:12 PM.
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List