Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Sep 15, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
dtm316
Proud to wear my Ears

dtm316's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Question Tipping caronthedrive driver

Hi Dibbers,

I really hope this doesn't turn into a debate on tipping but I would like to know if people have tipped their caronthedrive driver in the past as I genuinely don't know if this is an expected tip position. Been going for years and even now the tip culture over there confuses me on who should/shouldn't be tipped at times
I have no problems tipping the driver and don't want to be that guy that just gets the car keys and walks away if the driver is expecting a tip!
dtm316 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 15, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post

I would think you would.

The amount is a tricky one though.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 15, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Stoneyred
Excited about Disney

Hi, we only tip if isn't the owner (Peter) doing the pick ups. We usually give $20 but it has always been a British driver if not Peter so they would understand if you forgot 😀

Newport Bay Club 2004 DLP,Sheraton Vistana Resort 2006, Worldquest Resort 2008, Lake Buena Vista Village Resort & Spa 2009, Cypresse Pointe 2011 Villa Highgate Park 2014
Stoneyred is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 15, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
dtm316
Proud to wear my Ears

dtm316's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Thanks Stoneyred.

The booking email I received from them had Peter's number as a contact so I will see if he actually collects us and have some $'s at hand in case it isn't him.
dtm316 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 15, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I haven't used them but believe Stoneyred's post is the correct way to go. I wouldn't tip the owner but others I would. Seems the right thing to do.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 15, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Would the same apply when collecting a car from the Alamo desk at the Dolphin? Thanks for this thread, something I hadn't thought about before now.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 15, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We tipped when it was Frank, but we don't tip Peter or Wendy (Peters wife)

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 15, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Stoneyred View Post
Hi, we only tip if isn't the owner (Peter) doing the pick ups. We usually give $20 but it has always been a British driver if not Peter so they would understand if you forgot 😀
We've used COTD four times so that's eight trips to and from the airport. On seven of those trips we've been driven by either Peter or Wendy, the owners. It doesn't seem appropriate to us to tip the business owners.

On the only other trip we did tip the driver who was American - again $20 as I recall

Mick
Old 9 Sep 15, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Would the same apply when collecting a car from the Alamo desk at the Dolphin? Thanks for this thread, something I hadn't thought about before now.
No I don't tip the car hire guys. They really don't do anything for you. Now if they brought me an Escalade instead of a shoebox I would!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 15, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stoneyred View Post
That's what I did. Peter collected me when I arrived and I didn't tip but someone else took me back and I tipped him $20 - he was really helpful loading my bags onto a trolley at the airport, I travel solo with a lot of luggage (only on the way home !) so that was really nice of him.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread