Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Dec 19, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alibayparc View Post
Sorry
If you were to take the time to check DFCH OR AutoErope you would find it clearly listed what is included and what is not.ie
“Alamo £561.62
ZERO EXCESS WITH EXTENDED COVER INCLUDING WHEELS, GLASS, UNDERSIDE AND ROOF OF VEHICLE
“Budget £474.43
ZERO EXCESS PACKAGE“
Alex
Don’t assume it’s always the same, my DFCH bookings this year and last year with Alamo didn’t cover “everything”. It depends on which package Andy gets you. From memory it was lost keys , windscreen and punctures that weren’t covered.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 19, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Don’t assume it’s always the same, my DFCH bookings this year and last year with Alamo didn’t cover “everything”. It depends on which package Andy gets you. From memory it was lost keys , windscreen and punctures that weren’t covered.
Apologies for being pedantic but I did not mention, lost keys or punctures. I also did state that it depended on what company you get from either DFCH or AutoEurope what was included. No rental includes lost keys, miss fuelling or changing a tyre unless you pay extra or have a stand alone policy.
Alex
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 19, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I always giggle at the obvious tourists hiring pick ups (No disrespect)
Why? The Ford F Series truck is the highest selling vehicle in the USA as noted by business insider, so locals will use them a lot more than tourists.

They are sturdy having a full chassis running the length of the vehicle. For my with a bad back they are so much easier to get in and out of. As you sit higher than a car you have better visibility.
A truck will “ hold its own” on US freeways. Would you rather drive at 70 mph on the I4 at rush hour in a big solid truck of a tiny Chevy Spark Hire Car?
I know which I would choose every time.
Just put on a baseball cap when you drive the truck and you’re no longer recognisedas a tourist.

You can hide your stuff under the rear seat ( which flips up) at the parks, more than you can do in an SUV.
Finally the interiors are as luxurious and any topline SUV. Not bad for a Construction Vehicle ( eh Tom? )

And this from a man that hired a Toyota Ago for my next Corfu trip... roads too narrow for a truck. Horses for courses
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 19, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Why? The Ford F Series truck is the highest selling vehicle in the USA as noted by business insider, so locals will use them a lot more than tourists.

They are sturdy having a full chassis running the length of the vehicle. For my with a bad back they are so much easier to get in and out of. As you sit higher than a car you have better visibility.
A truck will “ hold its own” on US freeways. Would you rather drive at 70 mph on the I4 at rush hour in a big solid truck of a tiny Chevy Spark Hire Car?
I know which I would choose every time.
Just put on a baseball cap when you drive the truck and you’re no longer recognisedas a tourist.

You can hide your stuff under the rear seat ( which flips up) at the parks, more than you can do in an SUV.
Finally the interiors are as luxurious and any topline SUV. Not bad for a Construction Vehicle ( eh Tom? )

And this from a man that hired a Toyota Ago for my next Corfu trip... roads too narrow for a truck. Horses for courses
Ha ha I'm not getting involved in this!

The luggage still concerns me on the airport runs. Plus if I told my Wife we were having a pick up truck I would probably be presented with a permanent solution to my Haemorrhoids.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Ha ha I'm not getting involved in this!

The luggage still concerns me on the airport runs. Plus if I told my Wife we were having a pick up truck I would probably be presented with a permanent solution to my Haemorrhoids.
For you...luggage behind front seats as the back seat pads flip up.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 19, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

Thank you all, while I was dithering over what to do, the Alamo price dropped to £188 so I've messaged Andy to update my Alamo and now ive just realised the standard SUV is a mear £2.50 extra so i'm going to message poor Andy again to change to the standard (bless him, he must hate seeing my name pop up in his inbox!)

The tolls were a concern, we don't tend to go through many and if we do, we pay cash but it only takes DH to get in the wrong lane once (has been a close call before) and we could end up with a hefty bill.

Edited at 04:38 PM.
jakesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 19, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by jakesmum View Post
Thank you all, while I was dithering over what to do, the Alamo price dropped to £188 so I've messaged Andy to update my Alamo and now ive just realised the standard SUV is a mear £2.50 extra so i'm going to message poor Andy again to change to the standard (bless him, he must hate seeing my name pop up in his inbox!)

The tolls were a concern, we don't tend to go through many and if we do, we pay cash but it only takes DH to get in the wrong lane once (has been a close call before) and we could end up with a hefty bill.
Hi. You don’t need to involve Andy. You can amend your booking on his website yourself. Just log in and when the price drops just amend it.

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 19, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Hi. You don’t need to involve Andy. You can amend your booking on his website yourself. Just log in and when the price drops just amend it.
Andy just sent me the same thing much easier way to change everything, the new site is fantastic
Old 20 Dec 19, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
It is much better I agree. Plus I would rather change my bookings myself so that's a win win for me.

Old 31 Dec 19, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by jakesmum View Post
Looking for a bit of advice from the veteran US car hirer's

Have booked with the lovely Andy for a weeks intermediate SUV hire with Alamo for £201, Budget has now dropped to £149ish for the same vehicle type so i'm on the fence about swapping over to budget to rent. The £52 saving is calling to my inner 'savvy shopper' BUT I have never hired with budget, I always use Hertz in Europe and Alamo in the US (as I really like the skip the counter).

So lovely people in my computer, would you swap? are budget a decent company or will I regret my decision when i'm hit with all sorts of charges and overly pushy sales people trying to upsell to me?

My other option is to change within Alamo to an Intermediate pickup for £224.53, though im not sure if that's overkill when there is just the two of us for a week . . .
Can I ask who is Andy and what magical Alamo/ car hire deals does he have? DH is looking at Budget but like OP we have previously always used Alamo.