Notices

Old 28 May 20, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Oh Abby I’m so sorry you’re feeling this way. It’s totally understandable though! £3500 is a lot of money to just lose so I can’t imagine the dilemma you’re having. I do think in another 3 weeks we’ll hear more about what is happening regarding flights and maybe even an announcement from Trump either way!
Speaking to my travel agent friend this morning she truly believes flights will resume and the FCO advisory lifted by July, that just leaves being able to get into the US.
Do you think you’ll still want to go if you are able?
We are feeling a little deflated too. Im in a fairly p*ssed off mood this week. Even if we do get to go we’ve been robbed of any excitement in the lead up, I don’t want to go over any of our plans or even think too much about it. We’ve still got a weeks accommodation to book but I haven’t even bothered looking at anything as there’s no point at the moment. First world problems I know but like you we live for our holidays.
I’m so sorry again you’re feeling so blue this week xx

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by HeresYourEars View Post
I’m so sorry. So so sorry. 😢
I know I should be grateful that all I have to worry about is holiday as we are all fit and healthy and I really am grateful, but I'm still sad.

Originally Posted by jothp View Post
I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. I wrote a post quite similar to this one on my trip report yesterday.

I feel exactly the same way as you about running out of time for family holidays. Robyn will be 18 in January. I had in my mind that this could possibly be our last big family abroad trip all together and now that it has been delayed until next year there is even more chance that it will be the last holiday together of any kind. I know some people who can't wait to get rid of their kids to holiday alone but for me we holiday to make memories with them and this just feels like a wasted year with not much opportunity left.
I'll look up your pre trip soon Jo, but I guess I'm just wallowing a bit at the moment. It's been a funny time the last few months locked away together and like you it just feels a bit like a wasted year which we won't get back. It's not like I've had time to spare as I've still been working normal-ish hours and so all the time at home in lockdown hasn't really meant we've spent more time together.

I'll swing back round to being thankful we're all fit and healthy but at the moment I'm just sad.

Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
Oh Abby - you are my bit of hope in this horrible time. I have kept following hoping that against all the horrible odds you will get to go... and I will keep hoping that for you... You've done exactly what I would do - keep waiting till the last minute just so you know you tried and tried! You know how much I hated letting go and seeing the announcement yesterday I still kept thinking that just maybe we could have managed it and had an amazing time BUT then I thought of my son with ASD struggling with the heat at the best of times and how he would honestly cope with the masks as well... I'll never believe I did the right thing as we all want to be in WDW whatever the circumstances so keep holding on and I'll keep hoping that you are riding all those fab HS rides in Summer 2020! Take care and keep the dream going... We are rooting for you...
It wouldn't have been fair on your DS to try and cope with masks on top of all the other changes that would have made the trip different to normal so you were right to cancel. Everyone has different circumstances and ours aren't the same as yours. For example, I had a moment when I thought the no parades wasn't such a bad thing as we saw our first parade last year and so we've missed them before. But it's not just that of course, it's the getting there, it's the risk of the plane, it's the being in a foreign country and much as I might like to delude myself that things will go back to normal it's going to take time.

But saying all that I'm glad you're rooting for me as there's still a niggle at the back of my mind that's still got a spark of hope for a miracle. I just think we will end up running out of time.

Originally Posted by minnie52 View Post
I am so sorry. There doesn't seem to be any words. The announcement yesterday raised so many questions - how would a reservation system even work! But I hope that somehow there is still a way you get to go and get a holiday you are happy with. X
I know? It's all up in the air. As someone with a resort booking for 26th July I haven't been sent any information on the reservation system so I can't shed any light on that. I know that 2 months is a long time in this and that maybe there is some hope but I'm not sure it's going to happen for us.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

We all have ups and downs and I think sometimes it is better to accept being sad and wallow for a bit rather than bottling it all up. Did the government's announcement that only a quarter of year 10/12 can be in school at once effect your school's plans?
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s perfectly understandable for you to feel sad and not know what to do for the best or commit to calling it off. Maybe all you can do in the next couple of weeks is see what the reservation system will entail and then decide if everything in the announcement was still in place when you go (assuming flight available) is that a holiday you would be happy with? If not then make that your decision to move it to next year or cancel rather than pay anything else. I realise that sounds easier than it would be in practice.

A wasted year is exactly what I said to my husband last week. We have limited school holidays left with one doing GCSEs next year and one supposed to be doing A levels now. I totally understand your feelings about missing out on family holidays as the kids are getting older but I feel sure that you would all still have many more happy trips to come as you seem such a close family x
mrsdjh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Abby I've just cried reading your update. I feel devastated for you, then feeling is awful 😔 I can't reply properly as I'm on my phone, but even if you are safe and healthy it doesn't mean you can't be unhappy or disappointed about this ❤️ I'm hoping to get on the laptop tomorrow to give a proper reply, but just wanted to send you all massive hugs xxx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Abby I've been thinking about you every time I see an update. I totally understand how you feel. £3500 is a lot of money but on the other hand the balance is a lot more.
There's still time for everything to change. I'd be doing the same as you, waiting!
Would you consider scaling back your trip if the non refundable stuff can't be cancelled, cancel the Disney bit or transfer it to next year ( are they no longer saying you can add dining later if the free dining offer is released)? Sorry maybe not a useful thought but if its not going to be the experience you want?
Old 28 May 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Elsa42
Apprentice Imagineer

Elsa42's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oh Abby 😢 sorry you’re feeling this way! Just a quick reply tonight but I’ll reply properly tomorrow. It’s a super hard decision to make! I’ve just made a post on my report regarding the same thing although our holiday is slightly later than yours. Is there no way to get a refund on the 3500k or a chance to move them due to the current situation? Maybe something you haven’t felt ready to look into! Whatever happens I hope you get to go whether it’s this year or rebook for next year 🤞
Elsa42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Mobile

Abby, I’m so sorry 😞 I hoped it would be good news for you but I can see that it’s cutting it very close...and that’s not even thinking about the flights and other things.

In case this helps with regards to the lost year, my siblings and I are 33, 35 and 38...and we still go away as a massive family, so hopefully you’ve got plenty more family trips to look forward to.

Really feeling for you and everyone else on this thread in the same boat xx
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Oh Abby, I wish I had something to say that could make you feel better. I am so sorry. For what it's worth, I think you did the right decision not cancelling right away.

I sometimes, (actually, a lot), feel embarrassed about how invested I am in our holidays. They are the highlight of our year. Whenever I am having a yucky day, especially when it is freezing cold on my way to work, I think that eventually I will be back in Disney and it will all be worthwhile. Sometimes I wonder if I need more in my life as a holiday shouldn't mean so much. But it does, and the only thing that stops it being perfect as we don't have have our cats with us so we aren't a whole family. You get to holiday with your whole family so it is extra, extra special for you. I am so very sad that you might be having this taken away from you.

I am hoping that the delay in re-opening Disney vs. Universal will allow things to be more 'normal' at Disney when the time comes. I do hope we have some clarity over travel soon, I think the quarantine is nonsense, it was needed 6 months ago, it is pointless now. Particularly when the UK are the ones people should fear, not other countries.

Keeping everything crossed for you.

Obi, I am so sad that you have had to cancel.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Obi, I am so sad that you have had to cancel.
I didn’t really want to ring Disney but had a reminder email that the balance was due, I really didn’t want to take the 3rd option to cancel but I knew I couldn’t do it all again in another 3 weeks.
Not sure if fate was already weaving its hand as by the evening I got an email from BA cancelling part of our flight so that was the end of any holiday happening even if we could do it-I’m gutted but pleased the decision was kind of made for me

Hope you are all well and work isn’t too crazy-the girls don’t know our local KFC is open yet or I would have been sent out for treats.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List