Notices

Old 30 Jun 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

I logged on to comment on the posts of the last few days, and found the big update! I'm glad you're not sad about it - isn't it strange how we've all come to accept these strange circumstances in some way. I've had 2 holidays cancelled now, and felt the same. Your attitude to it all has been fantastic, keeping positive until a definite change was made for you. I know you'll still have a great summer with the upcoming birthday celebrations, Kate's Disney at Home plans and cocktails in the garden (weather permitting )

I'm glad for you that Lufthansa cancelling one of your flights will make it easier to get your money back. At least that opens up options for you.

I hope you can keep the thread going, at least for a while. It's such a positive place to visit and I'll look forward to reading about your summer and future plans when you decide what they will be. Maybe you can keep "eating around the world" as part of your Disney at Home activities.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Gutted for you Abby
I keep looking for an update and with fingers crossed all the time. Just take a few days tp enjoy Dave and your mum's birthdays then assess what happens next.

It's incredible as to how well children take news like this. Give them a hug and start planning for the next one.
Might need to avoid the last 30 seconds of the new podcast that comes out tomorrow

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Hi Abby - I'm absolutely gutted for you and for all of us who were relying on your TR to give us our Disney magic this summer I'm pleased that the decision was taking out of your hands though as I really think that makes it easier to accept... Hope you have a wonderful few days celebrating birthdays and then we'll look forward to hearing your future travel plans We visited Disneyland at Christmas - really recommend it - so easy to park hop and some fantastic different rides A Disneyland and WDW trip would be absolutely amazing! Take care - think the next month will involve some sulking for many of us and at least we know on here that people do understand...
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I hope Dave has a lovely birthday and your mum too when it rolls around. Right now we have to make the most of every special occasion.

So sad that it's all over Abby but happy you are no longer in limbo.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Hi Abby

Happy birthdays to Dave and your Mum.

Glad you are feeling ok about the holiday being cancelled. I am looking forward still to your Disney at home days planned by Kate.

We’ve invented a fictional trip discussion around the dinner table.! So far we were upgraded at the airport, spent time at Disney springs, had a lovely dinner and fireworks viewing at Cali grill. Got upgraded to a suite at RPR and ridden Hagrids twice. Oh and no wait at all at immigration. 🎢😂😂😂.
Old 1 Jul 20, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Cancellation process has begun

Well today I decided I may as well contact Lufthansa. The phone line was a bit weird as I kept getting an engaged tone and then when I finally got a ringing tone the hold queue is just silent no reassuring music or message so that you know you're in a queue just nothing. Fortunately I knew that would happen from the Lufthansa social group on here. In the end I only waited for 15 minutes before getting put through. The call centre lady checked my booking confirmed the outbound flights had been cancelled. She asked if I wanted to her to try and find alternative flights but I said no thank you and that I would prefer a refund. She said this was fine and she processed it, told me the refund would go to the card I used originally and sent me the email confirmation. I didn't bother asking when the refund would come through as I'm sure she's got no idea and it could be weeks, hopefully it won't be months.

I actually think the service from Lufthansa has been pretty good from booking to claiming back the tax on the kids tickets and now getting the refund sorted. Even though we've not actually flown with them yet I think I would use them again. I suppose I should wait until we actually get the refund before making a proclamation like that

I also contacted David's DVC rentals and explained we wouldn't be coming to Orlando and asked them to contact the owners who we've rented Boardwalk and AKL from. I asked if they would check if the points could be banked or re rented and if so if we could get a refund. I think David's are only offering a credit note voucher as opposed to a refund. But I thought it would be worth asking. I've not heard from them yet.

The other thing I did was contact my amazing pictures. They are the universal photo pass equivalent. I bought a 10 day photo package with them in the Black Friday sale last year. I asked them if there is an expiry date as I can't tell from the email code that you take to the photo shop in universal. But that was only $99.99 so it's not a huge amount of money.

I've not contacted Disney yet, as I'm still not sure what to do. But we've got until the week before to cancel so there isn't any rush.

I also need to contact Universal to see if they will extend the annual passes but they are in the loft and I need to get them down to tell them our pass numbers. From what others have said they will either extend or offer a 5, 7, 10 day pass or whatever they feel is sufficient. We only used 3 days of entry so perhaps we will get something and then that can go towards a trip next year.

So, the process has begun. So far it's been relatively painless and not too time consuming. But it's certainly not something I would wish on anyone. I really hope some of you are able to get to live out your trips for later this year and don't have to go through all this too.

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
Oh Abby, what a shame. I know you expected it but still sad for it to finally happen. So glad that you’re not too down about it.

Your comment about not having a report to write made me realise that I won’t have an Abby report to read - nooooo! I may actually have to finish mine off instead 😄
I'll miss writing the report almost as much as not going on the trip I think please do go back to yours I'd love to read it.

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Aww Abby, welcome to the cancellation club. It’s honestly not that bad. 😊 I’ve accepted that we probably won’t be going anywhere this year never mind this summer. 🤷 But, like you, I’m actually ok with it.

I’ve just this afternoon (after waiting for days to talk to someone) got sorted with Virgin to keep our Florida August reward flights open and our NYC October reward flights cancelled. So I’ll probably be waiting about 4 months for that.

I hope you manage to sort something out for a trip next year as it would be really nice to go through the build up with you again! 😃

Anyway, the pressure is off now and you can enjoy the summer without the are we, aren’t we situation.

Kat x
Do you know what it honestly isn't too bad. Much as I was keeping everything crossed for a long time, it's ok that it's not going to happen. There is something nice about knowing for certain now. Like you say living on a knife edge isn't much fun at all. I'm glad your reward flights got sorted out.

Originally Posted by jothp View Post
I'm glad for you that you finally know what you're doing and that the decision was taken out of your hands. It's far easier that way. Hopefully you'll get something booked for next year soon.
Yes I think it is easier that the decision was made for me. When the call centre lady asked if I wanted to try and reschedule the flights I was not at all tempted. So that is a good sign too.

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I'm very good at spending other people's money

Oh Abby, I know you're not sad but I'm still sorry it has come to this. You have a great attitude towards it all though and I'm glad the kids are ok too. Definitely don't make a decision on next year until you're sure on what you all fancy, there's no rush. Whatever you decide I know you'll make it even bigger and better than this years holiday
Well I'm now hopeful this summer's holiday money will all be refunded and then I will have that burning a big hole in my pocket so I will have to give some serious thought toward what to spend it on

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Ooh yes, an epic 4-5 week trip would be amazing! Have you read Amanda's (Wiley Coyote's) trip report when they did just that? It was a few years back now but would give lots of food for thought!
Hmm, I'm not sure. I've read lots of hers. The one I loved the most was the NYC, DC, Orlando trip. That definitely inspired our NYC Orlando trip and then our DC trip. I'll have to look up her index of trip reports.

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
At least you know what's happening now with this years trip for definite and it makes sense not to call Disney until you have an idea what you want to do next year. Im also thinking of a West Coast trip for next year.

I hope you do keep up this thread - I'll love to read more about Kates Disney at Home.

Diane
We will have to get a West coast trip group planning session set up, although I'm not sure what I want. Some of my musings are more pie in the sky day dreams at the moment rather than actual plans

I'll have to tell Kate that everyone is looking forward to her Disney at Home plans. She will love that.

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
I logged on to comment on the posts of the last few days, and found the big update! I'm glad you're not sad about it - isn't it strange how we've all come to accept these strange circumstances in some way. I've had 2 holidays cancelled now, and felt the same. Your attitude to it all has been fantastic, keeping positive until a definite change was made for you. I know you'll still have a great summer with the upcoming birthday celebrations, Kate's Disney at Home plans and cocktails in the garden (weather permitting )

I'm glad for you that Lufthansa cancelling one of your flights will make it easier to get your money back. At least that opens up options for you.

I hope you can keep the thread going, at least for a while. It's such a positive place to visit and I'll look forward to reading about your summer and future plans when you decide what they will be. Maybe you can keep "eating around the world" as part of your Disney at Home activities.
Given that we all invest so much of our time as well as our money on these holidays it's no surprise to me that some Dibbers have been incredibly upset to have their trips cancelled. I'm obviously not happy about it all, but I'm not devastated either. I think you're right it's strange but reassuring that we've coped so well and accepted it all so quickly.

I have been taking some food photos still as Wednesday is now Breakfast for Dinner day. We've had some pretty good ones, even if I do say so myself so I'll share those and get my thinking cap on for some more Eating Around the World meals.

Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
Gutted for you Abby
I keep looking for an update and with fingers crossed all the time. Just take a few days tp enjoy Dave and your mum's birthdays then assess what happens next.

It's incredible as to how well children take news like this. Give them a hug and start planning for the next one.
Might need to avoid the last 30 seconds of the new podcast that comes out tomorrow
I listened to the podcast this morning, that was a lovely Bon Voyage, even though it set me off it was still appreciated. I really hope other Dibbers get to go to Florida soon. It would be lovely to see some single digit dance countdown threads wouldn't it? I just love those and the excitement of the dibber and knowing that it won't be long until they are off. So, I had a brief moment this morning, but I'm alright and back to normal now.

Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
Hi Abby - I'm absolutely gutted for you and for all of us who were relying on your TR to give us our Disney magic this summer I'm pleased that the decision was taking out of your hands though as I really think that makes it easier to accept... Hope you have a wonderful few days celebrating birthdays and then we'll look forward to hearing your future travel plans We visited Disneyland at Christmas - really recommend it - so easy to park hop and some fantastic different rides A Disneyland and WDW trip would be absolutely amazing! Take care - think the next month will involve some sulking for many of us and at least we know on here that people do understand...
Yes I think it was easier that they cancelled the flight entirely. Dave has had a good day do far. He's enjoyed sorting out his workshop as he got some tools, he had to show me a drill of some sort earlier and I tried to ooh and aah in all the right places.

You're right about the shared experience making it easier. I know there will be lots of other people sadly taking a deep breath as their travel days roll around. Somehow that does make it easier.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I hope Dave has a lovely birthday and your mum too when it rolls around. Right now we have to make the most of every special occasion.

So sad that it's all over Abby but happy you are no longer in limbo.
Mum's 70th is something we want to make extra special. Poor Dad had his in the height of lockdown in April so we couldn't do anything then. But we are planning a get together on Sunday to celebrate.

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Hi Abby

Happy birthdays to Dave and your Mum.

Glad you are feeling ok about the holiday being cancelled. I am looking forward still to your Disney at home days planned by Kate.

We’ve invented a fictional trip discussion around the dinner table.! So far we were upgraded at the airport, spent time at Disney springs, had a lovely dinner and fireworks viewing at Cali grill. Got upgraded to a suite at RPR and ridden Hagrids twice. Oh and no wait at all at immigration. 🎢😂😂😂.
I love your fictional trip discussion. You are absolutely right that no lines and waiting at immigration is the stuff of dreams and totally fictional the other parts of your day are far more realistic and definetly could happen, what a great idea.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I've just read up on your cancellation. We hung on but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. If you do rebook for next year, hopefully we'll see you there 🙂
Old 1 Jul 20, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Cancellation process has begun

Well today I decided I may as well contact Lufthansa. The phone line was a bit weird as I kept getting an engaged tone and then when I finally got a ringing tone the hold queue is just silent no reassuring music or message so that you know you're in a queue just nothing. Fortunately I knew that would happen from the Lufthansa social group on here. In the end I only waited for 15 minutes before getting put through. The call centre lady checked my booking confirmed the outbound flights had been cancelled. She asked if I wanted to her to try and find alternative flights but I said no thank you and that I would prefer a refund. She said this was fine and she processed it, told me the refund would go to the card I used originally and sent me the email confirmation. I didn't bother asking when the refund would come through as I'm sure she's got no idea and it could be weeks, hopefully it won't be months.

I actually think the service from Lufthansa has been pretty good from booking to claiming back the tax on the kids tickets and now getting the refund sorted. Even though we've not actually flown with them yet I think I would use them again. I suppose I should wait until we actually get the refund before making a proclamation like that

I also contacted David's DVC rentals and explained we wouldn't be coming to Orlando and asked them to contact the owners who we've rented Boardwalk and AKL from. I asked if they would check if the points could be banked or re rented and if so if we could get a refund. I think David's are only offering a credit note voucher as opposed to a refund. But I thought it would be worth asking. I've not heard from them yet.

The other thing I did was contact my amazing pictures. They are the universal photo pass equivalent. I bought a 10 day photo package with them in the Black Friday sale last year. I asked them if there is an expiry date as I can't tell from the email code that you take to the photo shop in universal. But that was only $99.99 so it's not a huge amount of money.

I've not contacted Disney yet, as I'm still not sure what to do. But we've got until the week before to cancel so there isn't any rush.

I also need to contact Universal to see if they will extend the annual passes but they are in the loft and I need to get them down to tell them our pass numbers. From what others have said they will either extend or offer a 5, 7, 10 day pass or whatever they feel is sufficient. We only used 3 days of entry so perhaps we will get something and then that can go towards a trip next year.

So, the process has begun. So far it's been relatively painless and not too time consuming. But it's certainly not something I would wish on anyone. I really hope some of you are able to get to live out your trips for later this year and don't have to go through all this too.

I'll miss writing the report almost as much as not going on the trip I think please do go back to yours I'd love to read it.

Do you know what it honestly isn't too bad. Much as I was keeping everything crossed for a long time, it's ok that it's not going to happen. There is something nice about knowing for certain now. Like you say living on a knife edge isn't much fun at all. I'm glad your reward flights got sorted out.

Yes I think it is easier that the decision was made for me. When the call centre lady asked if I wanted to try and reschedule the flights I was not at all tempted. So that is a good sign too.

Well I'm now hopeful this summer's holiday money will all be refunded and then I will have that burning a big hole in my pocket so I will have to give some serious thought toward what to spend it on

Hmm, I'm not sure. I've read lots of hers. The one I loved the most was the NYC, DC, Orlando trip. That definitely inspired our NYC Orlando trip and then our DC trip. I'll have to look up her index of trip reports.

We will have to get a West coast trip group planning session set up, although I'm not sure what I want. Some of my musings are more pie in the sky day dreams at the moment rather than actual plans

I'll have to tell Kate that everyone is looking forward to her Disney at Home plans. She will love that.

Given that we all invest so much of our time as well as our money on these holidays it's no surprise to me that some Dibbers have been incredibly upset to have their trips cancelled. I'm obviously not happy about it all, but I'm not devastated either. I think you're right it's strange but reassuring that we've coped so well and accepted it all so quickly.

I have been taking some food photos still as Wednesday is now Breakfast for Dinner day. We've had some pretty good ones, even if I do say so myself so I'll share those and get my thinking cap on for some more Eating Around the World meals.

I listened to the podcast this morning, that was a lovely Bon Voyage, even though it set me off it was still appreciated. I really hope other Dibbers get to go to Florida soon. It would be lovely to see some single digit dance countdown threads wouldn't it? I just love those and the excitement of the dibber and knowing that it won't be long until they are off. So, I had a brief moment this morning, but I'm alright and back to normal now.

Yes I think it was easier that they cancelled the flight entirely. Dave has had a good day do far. He's enjoyed sorting out his workshop as he got some tools, he had to show me a drill of some sort earlier and I tried to ooh and aah in all the right places.

You're right about the shared experience making it easier. I know there will be lots of other people sadly taking a deep breath as their travel days roll around. Somehow that does make it easier.

Mum's 70th is something we want to make extra special. Poor Dad had his in the height of lockdown in April so we couldn't do anything then. But we are planning a get together on Sunday to celebrate.

I love your fictional trip discussion. You are absolutely right that no lines and waiting at immigration is the stuff of dreams and totally fictional the other parts of your day are far more realistic and definetly could happen, what a great idea.
I’m so glad the cancellation process hasn’t been too taxing just yet, I hope the rest is just as easy for you.

Ooh you must read it, will give you loads of food for thought! I think it’s called West and East Disney feast.

For what it’s worth I reckon you should do a 5 weeker, split 2 weeks in Cali and 3 in Florida. That’s if you can do 5 weeks, if not could you stretch to 4 and do a 2+2?
Start in San Fran for a couple of nights, make your way down to Monterey then drive the beautiful PCH to LA. Visit Universal and do the WB tour plus the usual tourist sights then 3-4 nights in Disney, you could go big and stay at the Grand Californian!
If time head to San Diego for a couple of nights before then flying from LAX to MCO and redoing what you were meant to do this year. Phew, it would be amazing!
Sorry for hijacking the thread and forcing ideas into your head 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm glad that the cancellation process is going smoothly so far. I've got my fingers crossed that David's manage to sort something out for you.

Hopefully it won't be long and you'll have something booked for next year.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

So glad the cancellation process seems to be going well Abby. Must be nice to finally have some clarity. I hope your refunds go smoothly... We're still 57 days and waiting from Virgin 😡🤬 xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List