Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Sep 20, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

Cat - digestive issues again!

Back for more kitten food advice! So, we have a lovely almost 6 month old rescue kitten and have had dietary problems with him since he came to us. The shelter said he ate anything they had in and when we first got him we started out on whiskas to settle him in.

Didn't do his tummy any good so I researched and wanted to move to grain free/ more real meat food so he was having mostly dry and a pouch of wet food a day - I've been convinced of having a mixed diet for his teeth and water intake but clearly am still am amateur at this!

He was on the diet for around a month and then the week before we went away on hols he started getting a poorly tummy again. He's been at the cattery for the last 2 weeks and we collected him this morning and the lady says she has been feeding him just cooked chicken to regulate his tummy as he had very loose stools and was vomiting on the food we gave. Said they knocked the dry food on the head quite quickly.

She said he has been much better on the chicken and has given us some advice about probiotics and keeping him on chicken. I said I was concerned about that longer term as he wouldn't get the added nutrients he can get from pouch food, like taurine. She suggested looking into hills prescription digestion and maybe trying him on a little bit for 1 meal in a few days but to also talk to our vet.

He's happy with the chicken but I presume needs some supplemental vitamins with it - and/or probiotics? Would I have to speak to vet if we want to try Hills or can we just buy it and crack on?

People have suggested a raw diet but is that ok for kittens and I have no idea what to do there either - so confused!
Lu Lu is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 20, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I think you are right to be concerned about feeding just chicken with regards to getting all the nutrients. If you would rather a raw diet you would need to research it properly like you say they need taurine! Alternatively there are company’s that have done all that and you can get raw diets delivered. However if it was me, I would firstly start with a vet check up to rule anything out first. Have a chat with the vet about possible alternatives as they might be able to recommend something else too.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 20, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

My cat was on chicken for a bit to try and settle some digestive issues, I supplemented taurine during that time. She's now on Hill's for other reasons, but a nice side effect is it really benefitted her digestion. Haven't had any issues since switching.

You don't technically have to speak to a vet to order Hill's, although sites will usually prompt for you to confirm you have. I would definitely suggest taking him in though, especially since he's always had digestive issues. It might just be you haven't found the right food yet, but I would want to rule out any potential underlying problems.

Edited at 10:56 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 20, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

I would echo the advice to let the vet check him out. We had the same issues with one of ours and nothing worked until the vet said let’s try an antibiotic ≈≈≈≈, literally by his next poop it was normal! He’d been to the vet a few times too and it took a different vet on shift to suggest the antibiotic. He is 1.5 now and can eat anything. 😊
Old 8 Sep 20, 02:06 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

May I also suggest, as cats are very susceptible to urinary tract infections, only give your cat(s) calcium free filtered/bottled water. When we moved house our two lasses were 18 month old, I kept them in for a few days and was horrified at the calcium they were passing, had to take a chisel to the litter tray! Thereafter it was strictly Braun filtered water and whilst we lost Blu aged 12 and Amber aged 19 they never had a urinary tract infection.
Old 8 Sep 20, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

The tummy issues at the start that were the reason to start changing his diet, was this on vets advice or your own research?

I've had many cats and have always just had regular food unless recommended to change by a vet. They have a preference in makes it flavours but they get a full range to try and avoid fussy cats

For mine, too much dry food gives them the runs so they have sachets or wet food and access to water. We give chicken as a treat but no other human food. Has your had access to other food? Dr your plates or from neighbours pets?

If there is no medical issue and everyone else that has cared for your cat successfully feeds him regular food maybe you are overthinking/over caring.

Please speak to the vet before changing again. 6 months is still very young.
Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Definitely get the vet to check him out. Has he been wormed?
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I also think you need to take him to the vets as all the chopping and changing could make it worse .
I’d also ask them to check for Giardia as it could be he’s had that and then caught it again from somewhere .
Does he go out ?
As they can get it from stagnant water and it’s so hard to get rid of, took us about 3 months for my two , was a nightmare .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Another vote for checking if he’s got worms.

Can we have a photo of him please ? 😍
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

Thanks all. He hasn’t got worms and hasn’t been eating food elsewhere as he’s not going out yet. He has had the occasional spider he’s found in the house though!

Don’t want to chop and change food, I’d rather move him to something that makes his tummy happy. I’m not sure that constant diarrhoea and vomiting from it is really something I can leave be.

He’s got a vets appointment next Thursday to have his monthly flea and worm treatment. Was going to talk about it then but wondering whether need to have that discussion sooner?

He’s not been to poop since he came home yesterday morning - hope he’s not now constipated!
Lu Lu is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List