Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Sep 20, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Drive through phlebotomy

Yesteday I needed a blood test after a consultant phone call. I used the new drive through blood test service which was excellent.

Drove to the site, 5 large tunnel tents set up, was instructed which one to go to. Drove in, full service phlebotomy while sitting in the car, hubby was driving, they had full computer service to the hospital.

Wonderful service, excellent idea, tea and buiscuits available if feeling faint etc.

Some excellent ideas have come out of this awful time.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Have to be honest that sounds like a brilliant system. Convenient, no parking issues and a time saving potential for everybody.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I really like the drive through/pickup window pharmacies in USA. So much easier/quicker than here.
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I think there's many things we can take from this situation.The NHS has shown how resourceful it can be under difficult times. Staff are resilient and adaptable and want to continue to give patients the care they need. Over the last few months I set up several drive thro pneumonia and shingles vaccination clinics. We have vunerable people who needed to be vaccinated so had to think outside the box. They were very well received. This years flu clinics will be delivered very differently for us which have taken a long time planning. Just wish we had the space and capacity to offer phlebotomy outside. Not enough weather protection would prevent us doing it now.
Old 25 Sep 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

So do you stick your arm out of the window for them to take the blood or do they open the driver door?

Sounds good in principle but my first thought is how on earth you'd deal with someone who was feint, which isn't an uncommon scenario. Whenever I have to bleed someone is a passing out risk, I invite them to lay down on the couch, it reduces the risk of them passing out on me.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Mentioned this on another thread that we are to have a local drive through flu jab service in October and November - no doctor visit.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

That sounds brilliant. The one I go to at our outpatients department you normally have to take a ticket then wait for your number. It’s regularly over an hour wait time.
Having said that, I haven’t been since pre Covid as they are not currently doing checks.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
So do you stick your arm out of the window for them to take the blood or do they open the driver door?

Sounds good in principle but my first thought is how on earth you'd deal with someone who was feint, which isn't an uncommon scenario. Whenever I have to bleed someone is a passing out risk, I invite them to lay down on the couch, it reduces the risk of them passing out on me.
We have been told after getting our flu jab we are to wait for 15 minutes in the parking area in case there is an adverse reaction.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post

You can stick your arm out of the window, as we have an SUV type car they opened the door. They dont get any closer than they would in a GP surgery or hospital phlibotomy and it's in the fresh air.

I asked about the passing out scenario, she told me they had one person in four weeks of the service. I'm not sure how they managed the situation but I am sure they have done their risk assessments. There were plenty of staff around. Maybe people who know they may pass out will exclude themselves.

I think it's really good they are thinking out of the 'normal' So many good ideas are shelved because of 'what if'. The staff were lovely, friendlyand efficientand I think happy to be working away from the hospital to reduce their risk.

I have taken many thousands of bloods and would be happy to work there.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I would have thought anybody who faints whilst in their car is in the safest place so as not to cause any injury to themselves. Lets be honest they have nowhere to go and will just slump further into the car seat.
Not a risk at all.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List