Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Sep 20, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

So Cross !

Excuse this rant but I may just explode .
DH has just come back from a branch of a local Co -Op
He was with DS 15 .
He wanted to buy 4 bottles of IPA and 2 bottles of Cider for me
DS carried 1 bottle of Cider and a bar of Reeses chocolate that was for him .
Long story short they asked DS for ID and when hubby said he was helping him to carry it they accused hubby of buying alcohol by proxy and refused to serve him !
I’m furious I phoned to complain they said it’s company policy - but they are youngsters left to run the store on a Saturday night .
DS is mortified as there was a queue .I was told the manager “ain’t “ here and their customer service skills were shocking .
I feel really insulted and I understand I will speak to the manager tomorrow but guess I may not get far
I feel he’s been accused of breaking the law and inconvenienced for nothing !
Should I let it go ?
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 20, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’m afraid I think you should let it go. Shops have to be really careful about their license and it is quite common for them to refuse to sell when you are accompanied by an under 18.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 20, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

I think you should put it down to experience - all the stores here (Leeds) have a similar policy. If you are with a teen they won't sell you alcohol. With your son carrying it too I'm afraid you won't get anywhere with a complaint.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 20, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I would let it go. Nothing bad happened other than you didnt get your cider. Not worth raising the blood pressure for. You will only be told its shop policy, they will back their staff and all will happen is you will get more annoyed. Next time get the cider in with the weekly shop!
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by inky1 View Post
Excuse this rant but I may just explode .
DH has just come back from a branch of a local Co -Op
He was with DS 15 .
He wanted to buy 4 bottles of IPA and 2 bottles of Cider for me
DS carried 1 bottle of Cider and a bar of Reeses chocolate that was for him .
Long story short they asked DS for ID and when hubby said he was helping him to carry it they accused hubby of buying alcohol by proxy and refused to serve him !
I’m furious I phoned to complain they said it’s company policy - but they are youngsters left to run the store on a Saturday night .
DS is mortified as there was a queue .I was told the manager “ain’t “ here and their customer service skills were shocking .
I feel really insulted and I understand I will speak to the manager tomorrow but guess I may not get far
I feel he’s been accused of breaking the law and inconvenienced for nothing !
Should I let it go ?
I’m sorry this happened & it’s shocking how they acted especially as it was a Father & Son, so NO I wouldn’t let it go & I would be down there first thing tomorrow 😬
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I can understand why you feel miffed but on reading this I feel the shop acted responsibly Under the circumstances you describe. I would let it go and in future let the over 18 carry the alcohol
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

Let it go. I’ve had it with dd helping me at self serve by beeping things through and been warned not to let her zap the alcohol in basket otherwise it would be confiscated and voided. Think it’s a common rule.
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 20, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Not the first time I've heard of this and as others have said it is a common rule. I'd let it go as well.

I agree it is annoying when it happens to you though, not this exact situation but something similar happened to me when I was an undergraduate who didn't have ID on me when I wasn't even buying alcohol... I put it down to the restaurant I was in being way too keen to comply with the rules of keeping their alcohol license.
Old 12 Sep 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

I’m really surprised by the responses - I understand they have to careful but we are not in a city .
I feel its a real slur on DH and then to accept what he said they’ve called him a liar too .
Also on previous occasions in exactly the same circumstances they’ve served him no problem
I didn’t know it was a thing but I’m quite upset about it and feel we’ve been treated like some sort of scummy people.I understand I will get nowhere
but ideally I would like their head on a stick lol .
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

This has happened to OH before in our local co-op. They do have to be very careful and as your son was carrying one of the bottles (same with DS) they obviously had concerns.
I think you just have to accept it’s their policy and they’re well within their rights to refuse to serve alcohol if they think there’s a chance you’re buying for a minor. We live in a small market town but I’m not sure why being in a city makes a difference?

Edited at 09:35 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List