Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Aug 15, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
lmartin
Serious Dibber

How much ££ will Alamo take from my card?

I've booked a 'Mustang or similar' for my upcoming trip in October through the Alamo Brits link. Thanks to help and advice on here I was able to do the Online Check In and Skip The Counter - so now have paperwork.

I prepaid the rental when I booked it - and used a debit card in the Skip The Counter process.

My question is, how much will Alamo take / pre-auth from my card now and when will they do it? I believe they already took $1 when I was going through the Skip The Counter process - presumably so they can check the card is valid.

I used a debit card (NatWest) I don't use regularly as for some reason it didn't accept my 'normal' one (Tesco Bank) - so just want to know roughly how much money to put in there before we go.
lmartin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 15, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

We did a pay on arrival in May and they put the total cost as a hold on the card. That went through once we returned the car.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 15, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
This is a weird one. I always use my Barclaycard to do my Alamo bookings and present it at the barrier as we exit.
I check afterwards and I have never had a hold put on the Card for any amount.

However others do have holds put on their Cards so I dont think there is a definitive answer?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 15, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post

Last time we went it put a hold on our card for 69p
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 15, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I have never had a hold until last month when they messed my rental up and ended up putting a $700 hold on my card. Then eventually sorted it out (took a few days after the end of the rental).
But other than that I have never had a hold from Alamo (many different card types over the years).
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 15, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
We did a pay on arrival in May and they put the total cost as a hold on the card. That went through once we returned the car.
That would be correct as it is, as you say, pay on arrival. So they take the total cost and hold it until return, add on any extras, tolls, fuel etc and complete the transaction.

The OP has prepaid, so a different scenario from your experience.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 15, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
lmartin
Serious Dibber

Yep, I prepaid - and when checking in it said they would authorise $1 to validate card - which would equate to the 69p someone had taken. So I'm wondering if anything else will be taken / authorised on the day we actually pick the car up?
lmartin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 06:15 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

They will hold whatever is on your estimated charges + 20%
Since you've prepaid, estimated charges are $0 + any extra you get on top
So if you use the fuel service they'll hold around $50 which will then be processed when you return the car
Same with Satnav, child seat ...
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 06:15 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread