Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 30 Jan 08, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
greenan3
A Guest at All-Stars

i-phone?

Hi all,

Looking to buy the i-phone, as it's cheaper out in the states than home.

Has anyone bought one in the usa? and could you use it over here or convert it on to o2 network?

Many thanks
greenan3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 08, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post

I think it can be done but it's not easy & if it goes wrong the phone is supposed to be permanently messed up (I'm sure someone more technical will come along with a much better explanation).

One thing to bear in mind tho is that you can only go on the O2 i-phone tarrif if you buy thru O2 so you'd have to go on a 'normal' plan meaning your internet browsing could cost you a fortune depending on how much you do whereas with the i-phone plan you have unlimited browsing.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 08, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
we bought one back in november, we checked it all out on the internet before we bought it to make sure that it could be done... when we got back and tried to set it up to o2 nothing happened... we had contacted a guy and bought the software to do it, but it turned out we'd been given a newer version than had been hacked and so we got a full refund and sold the phone on ebay for twice what we'd bought it for in the states... however this was in november so updates are coming all the time, and if you're willing to wait until the unlock for your specific model comes out then you're on to a winner

oh, and you can only buy with a credit card, and try and sort the phone out while you're in the states or it'll automatically lock to at&t, wait until you get home and have done all the research first
Old 31 Jan 08, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post

You need to buy here, unfortunately.
Bill
Old 31 Jan 08, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Dollar_Bill View Post
You need to buy here, unfortunately.
Bill
not necessarily, all the info on how to unlock is available online, it's just that when a new version comes out it takes a while for the new unlocks to come out as with anything... as i say had dh been willing to wait his would more than likely be working now but he's so impatient, and by putting it on ebay we doubled our money, so this is always an option if you can't get it unlocked
Old 31 Jan 08, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post

The French ones are unlocked and cheaper apparantly.

The monthly fee for o2 is £35 ish and includes 500 text and 600 mins, the web browsing is included in the price.

Personally I wouldn't mess with anything from Apple, they seem to spend a lot of money stopping people hacking in to their stuff.

If you do manage to unlock it then just one firmware upgrade from Apple and its busted so don't abcent mindedly press download when you plug it in.
Old 31 Jan 08, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
apple were forced to unlock all of their phones in germany as they were taken to court... forcing someone to be with a certain network and giving them no choice is against our human rights...

as easygoingeezer pointed out once unlocked you cannot upgrade the phone as this will lock it down... also you obviously lose your guarantee with apple
Old 31 Jan 08, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
funkyshaker
Proud to wear my Ears

It can be done but it is quite a process.

I have a US iPhone which is unlocked to any sim. I use an O2 Simplicity sim with web bolt-on - cost of this is £22.50 (I think) a month.

My iPhone is currently running 1.1.1 firmware - Apple have now released 1.1.3. I just can't go and update otherwise it will brick my phone.

The hacking community have found a way to hack the latest firmware but I am happy with my phone at present and not prepared to upgrade for a few extra bells and whistles.

End of the day it all depends how technically minded you are.

The reason that I did it is because I refuse to pay the extortionate fees that O2 are asking and for being tied to an 18 month contract.

It's an excellent phone though and well worth the hassle. If you are unsure about the hacking process just buy the phone off Ebay already hacked but remember make sure you turn off auto updating within iTunes.
funkyshaker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 08, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread