Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 30 Jan 17, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

For people who travel in August, a ?

We have been to Orlando twice in April, once in October, pleasant temperatures we toured the parks morning til night in Oct, and tended to split the day in April, ie park in the morning, leave, return in the evening.
We might be going in August this year, ( dd might be working the summer there), so how do you tour the parks in Aug ? The heat must be intense so I'm thinking are evenings only best ? What do you do ? Cheers
Old 30 Jan 17, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

We've always been fine. I'm fair so burn easily and never been worried. Think it's different to sitting in it as there is plenty of shade around the parks and you can be in and out of air conditioned shops and attractions. Just make sure you sit in the shade for parades as that can get intense!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!

Edited at 04:42 PM.
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 17, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Mobile

We went in August 2015 and found the climate to be much easier to cope with that we thought it would be. The short bursts of rain helped but my kids never once mentioned the heat and we'd definitely go back again in August.
Old 30 Jan 17, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

Mobile

we always have to go summer as dh works in schools. never had a problem go first thing in the morning back around 2ish nap swim and then back out again 4ish...
lilo82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 17, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
curlysue2
Apprentice Imagineer

We went first two weeks of August last year. Yes I was hot and sweaty but we basically went for it from Park open to Close but we thought we weren't going again so wanted to maximise everything.
Just took plenty of water around the parks and got one of those Disney Fan mister things.
curlysue2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 17, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
adreamisawish
Excited about Disney

I always go on holiday there in November but worked out there last summer.

It is hot, much hotter than I was used to. And it doesn't let up much at night. But still manageable.

Some tips would be to go for indoor rides/queues when the temps are at the hottest & really take advantage of water fountains & ask for cups of ice water in any quick service location (it's free). Also see a lot of people take small towels with them which they wet and stick on the backs of their neck.
Old 30 Jan 17, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Infinity Red View Post
The heat must be intense so I'm thinking are evenings only best ? What do you do ?
We made sure we stayed inside in the air-conditioning as much as possible.

When we went in 2014 it was scorching. Even in the evenings it was hot. I remember waiting to watch the Electrical Parade at 9pm and still sweating buckets. It wasn't pleasant.

Thankfully, everywhere is air-conditioned so we quickly dashed from building to building during most of the day. And at the middle of the day when temps were at the hottest we stayed inside an attraction or a restaurant. We stayed in a park from early morning to evening usually and made sure we had plenty of water. DD also had a mist spray and fan which was quite pleasant in the heat.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 17, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We struggled last August. Our first 5 days heat was intense (over 100F) with no rain at all and we really struggled. Sweat was literally running down my back. I was seriously ready to ditch the plans and stay in the villa pool. Once the daily thunderstorm started towards the end of the first week, temp dropped to mid 80s and it was much more manageable. We still only managed either mornings or evenings except Disney Studios where we did the full 12 hours as lots was indoor air conditioned. We used water spray fans and walked through shops to get some air con. We did rope drop til 2/3/4pm or evenings. Evenings were my favourite time as while it was still hot it was much more bearable. Couple of other top tips I picked up from the Dibb were getting free iced water in the parks and also we took cool bag, froze bottles of water from supermarket and took them with us for both morning and getting back to the car afterwards.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 17, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

This year will be our 4th time in summer, we have quite a few waterpark days and then go to a park in an evening. Other days we're out early and at the park for rope drop then go back to the pool early to mid afternoon when we start to get too hot. We did do some full days when we did universal and Busch gardens but as we stay on site at Disney it's easy to pop in and out of the parks. It is hot but manageable and there's lots of opportunity to cool down in the air con inside the parks if you need to.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 17, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Some tips. Take an hour out for an air conditioned lunch. Drink lots of water. Start early and open the parks. Take an afternoon nap/swim. Take advantage of late night park opening. Drink lots of water. Duck into air conditioned spaces. Drink lots of water. Get enough sleep. Wear a cap. Drink lots of water! Tour the parks in the rain. We don't melt.