Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Aug 15, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
andyb1126
Serious Dibber

Thomson Car Hire...Sorry!

Sorry, another car hire query.

Now, we booked our holiday in a Thomson branch, which apparently means I get no customer service at all and nobody can help me with any question that I may have regarding anything... but thats another story! So my confusion has led me to ask here...

It seems that Thomson have booked me a car separately as I have a prepaid Thomson Alamo voucher for a Compact Car plus it looks like I have all the extra insurance so thats seems ok. I have paid £325 for this car. Now Ive looked into it, I dont think the Compact is going to be big enough. Ive looked around on the threads and everyone says dont book through Thomsons and arrange yourself. But when I go to the Alamo site, they are quoting almost £600 for what I have, or £640 for a full size.

What Im confused with, is why I have only paid £325, and whats the best way to go about getting the upgrade to full size? Go in store and hopefully it will only be the £40 extra, or wait till we are at the Airport?

Thanks in advance.

Andy
andyb1126 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
darsch1982
Imagineer

Mobile

I am following but for me its been quite hard to get abswers from them aswell so was going to see when i get there
darsch1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP without seeing what you have on the voucher I would recommend going into the branch and seeking clarification about the car and more importantly the Insurances you have got. Also are all the other costs such as Airport user fee, environmental issues etc included.
If they are then your price is probably par for the course and I would be asking them how much to upgrade
Upgrades at the desk can be expensive.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
andyb1126
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP without seeing what you have on the voucher I would recommend going into the branch and seeking clarification about the car and more importantly the Insurances you have got. Also are all the other costs such as Airport user fee, environmental issues etc included.
If they are then your price is probably par for the course and I would be asking them how much to upgrade
Upgrades at the desk can be expensive.
Thanks and yeah I think Ill do that. The voucher says it includes Supplementary and additional Liability Insurance, Underinsured protection, Location Service Charge Unlimited Mileage, Vehicle License Fee, Collision Damage Waver without excess and theft protection with No excess. So I think I have the fully inclusive one.
andyb1126 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Hotlush
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

That price sounds like you have upgraded, but the voucher doesn't show it (I had exactly that issue).
Email alamo with your details and they will confirm what you have booked.
Took about a day to get a reply but they confirmed everything was right at their end.
Hotlush is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 15, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
andyb1126
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Hotlush View Post
That price sounds like you have upgraded, but the voucher doesn't show it (I had exactly that issue).
Email alamo with your details and they will confirm what you have booked.
Took about a day to get a reply but they confirmed everything was right at their end.
Thanks, I gave them a call and they confirmed my booking was for a Compact class car which is a Nissan Versa or similar. They said they couldnt upgrade me bacause I have a voucher, I would have to go back to my TA or wait till arrival and upgrade at the airport.
Old 3 Aug 15, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
lolalolo86
Imagineer

Not sure if this helps but we have our car hire booked with Thomson too. It was just a compact car with gold insurance which cost me £189. There is only two of us so this would have been fine but we wanted something bigger so have just called the shop we booked with and they upgraded us to a standard SUV for £112 extra still including gold insurance.. No problem. However we don't already have our voucher, just a confirmation of booking. I am informed our voucher will be emailed in the next few weeks. My point is that the shop you booked with should be able to upgrade you no problem. I wouldn't do it when you get there as it is supposed to be more expensive.
lolalolo86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 15, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post

I upgraded in store. No problem. Pretty cheaply too.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 15, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
andyb1126
Serious Dibber

Thank you all, Im going to nip in tomorrow and see what they say.

Cheers
Andy
Old 3 Aug 15, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread