Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Jul 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
PS

Other short cuts are available. Going away from HR if you turn right about half way up WB on to Funie Steed Road you'll pass Sunset Lakes and Emerald Isle then hit a four way at Formosa Gardens Bvd. Turn left to the 192 and the "famous" Sherberth short cut. Well it was 10 years ago but now busier that the M25.

Don't be tempted to go straight over FGB on FSR. First half mile is newly surfaced then you have a few hundred yards of basically potholes. May even be considered as driving on an unmade road for the purposes of your car Ts & Cs.

Our local Dibbers highways correspondent DonnaD has also said that it may be closed for major roadworks.

Mick
Old 19 Jul 19, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Cocobean121
Imagineer

Message for Mick! Thanks for the info on wawa, I’m staying at highlands reserve in October too so this thread has been great! Mick you’re always a wealth of knowledge, wonder if I can ask you something? From highlands reserve, which is the easiest/quickest/safest route to universal (we don’t do Disney &#128563 we went in 2017 staying at West Haven, and the I4 was horrific then, no doubt it’s worse due to all the new builds that we’re going on around that time.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Easter 2011 Legacy Park Villa fl. Aug/Sept 2013 Thousand Oaks Villa fl. April 2015 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa fl. May 2017 the sanctuary, West Haven villa Fl.
October 2019 Pier 60 & Highlands Reserve villa fl
May 2020 endless summer and Aventura
Cocobean121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Cocobean121 View Post
Message for Mick! Thanks for the info on wawa, I’m staying at highlands reserve in October too so this thread has been great! Mick you’re always a wealth of knowledge, wonder if I can ask you something? From highlands reserve, which is the easiest/quickest/safest route to universal (we don’t do Disney &#128563 we went in 2017 staying at West Haven, and the I4 was horrific then, no doubt it’s worse due to all the new builds that we’re going on around that time.

Any tips greatly appreciated!
Sorry big fail - haven't been to Universal since 2007 and I guess we used I-4 then. Google maps may help

Mick
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ManCity
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by mick View Post
PS

Don't be tempted to go straight over FGB on FSR. First half mile is newly surfaced then you have a few hundred yards of basically potholes. May even be considered as driving on an unmade road for the purposes of your car Ts & Cs.

Mick
Official closure notice here: osceola/news/funie-s...re-notice.stml
ManCity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Thanks for that. If the green is the proposed detour I think we'd stick to Livingstone if need to get over to North Old Lake Wilson. Maybe just stick to the Walmart at Cagan Crossings though.

Mick

Edited at 06:38 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Oh god is that the bit of the road that everyone refers to as the bit not to use because of the car insurance? I've always been a bit confused never even realised you could go straight over at that junction! hahaha how bad. We always go down onto the 192 and the route is shows on the map. Going straight over does look quicker!

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by MariaLynda View Post
Oh god is that the bit of the road that everyone refers to as the bit not to use because of the car insurance? I've always been a bit confused never even realised you could go straight over at that junction! hahaha how bad. We always go down onto the 192 and the route is shows on the map. Going straight over does look quicker!
Yes it's basically the bit of FSR across the front of the new Westgate development and yes I have over a few years on here suggested (just my opinion) that it may be considered to be "unmade" which many hire company's Ts & Cs suggest is not allowed. Anyway true to my own advice I did drive down it a couple of times in April in daylight and truthfully it is awful. You couldn't drive in a straight line keeping to the correct side of the road - more like a slalom course but having to avoid the oncoming traffic.

Depends where you're heading though. If you want Sherberth just turn left at FGB and follow the green to Red Lobster. If you want the "new" Walmart turn right on FGB up to Livingstone. Turn left and that takes you to North Old Lake Wilson

Mick
Old 19 Jul 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
That Wawa is at the crossroads on 192 with Avalon going north and Westside Boulevard going south. WB is a regular road for us as it cuts a bit of 192/27 south. You go along WB to a four-way with school on left corner, turn right here on Florence Villa Grove Road and you meet 27 at a light. Turn left for Berry Town Center and Highlands.

Travel east on the 192 (or use Westside) and after 5/10 minutes you will be in a short stretch of road with Manny’s, Longhorn, Olive Garden, Bahama Breeze, Texas Roadhouse, Red Lobster, Joes Crab Shack, Bonefish Grill, Outback, Carrabbas, Millers Ale House, Cracker Barrel, Sweet Tomatoes, Red Robin, Applebees, Hooters - bound to have missed a couple

At Berry Town Center there’s an Applebees, iHOP and Bamboo Wok (a good Chinese take-out)

There’s a Walmart at Cagan Crossings about 10 minutes north on the 27, a Super Target on the 192 near Longhorns and a couple of Publix. One at Summer Bay at the end of 192 and one at Berry.

Mick
Fabulous thank you
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List