Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Jun 19, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
There will be shuttle buses from the train station to the university. We have visited Bristol a couple of times now for the open day last summer and applicant day as it is DD’s first choice for this September. The shuttles run regularly and were well organised, they will be right outside the station. Hope the visit goes well
Thank you, good to know it is well organised.

Dd18 didn't visit Bristol last year, we went to 5 or 6 other places dd16 doesn't want to see, my 2 are so different ...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Thank you, good to know it is well organised.

Dd18 didn't visit Bristol last year, we went to 5 or 6 other places dd16 doesn't want to see, my 2 are so different ...
All three of my children visited totally different unis for open days, apart from Cardiff which both boys looked at. They all chose different universities too. Like your two, mine are totally different. I have looked at loads of different universities and cities with all three of them though 😀
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

So it’s Royal Holloway for us this weekend. Then a weekend off. Then York. Hotel rooms starting to cost a fortune 🙄 I’m desperate for DD to love York as I went there!
Old 10 Jun 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
So it’s Royal Holloway for us this weekend. Then a weekend off. Then York. Hotel rooms starting to cost a fortune 🙄 I’m desperate for DD to love York as I went there!
I went to York too but when I visited with my daughter the rooms looked much the same as when I left in 1992 - she wasn’t overly impressed with them compared to halls in other unis. In fact my husbands old room was one of the ones open so was a real blast from the past. Was great being back on campus bring back many happy memories.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Biscaya View Post
Hi Nimbus, I work at Chester Uni and will be working Saturday. Hope you have a good day.
My DD is off to her first Open Day tomorrow at Sheffield Hallam. It’s actually an Open day / Application support session for Health and Social Care applicants so I’m hoping it will be really useful.
It would be great to here views of your Open day visits.
Sorry, only just seen this message. Chester was ok, although the accommodation tour was way too busy with too many people in the group. It was generally busy - the Parkgate campus is reasonably small (IMO). I think my DD maybe preferred Harper Adams though.

We ended up not doing Staffordshire Uni on the Sunday. DD wasn’t that bothered going to see it.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 06:24 AM  
Link to this Post
wedinflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

wedinflorida's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Our son is currently in the middle of his Mocks, and our open days commence at the end of the month and end some time in November. He keeps adding to his list

He wants to study Theoretical Physics, though he did recently get selected for a chemistry taster day at the University of Sheffield and he really enjoyed that.

The universities will
Are visiting so far are...
University of Sheffield
University of Manchester
University of Nottingham
Cambridge
Sussex university
Lincoln university

The latter doesn’t have the course he wants, however it’s local to us and could be an option if he doesn’t get his predicted grades.

It’s all new to us and we aren’t sure what open days even entail. He’s very laid back and doesn’t tend to worry.
wedinflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
sonill
Excited about Disney

My DH is taking DD to Bristol on Friday and then Royal Holloway on Saturday. She has booked UCL but school are now saying she can't have a day off to go as it's Welsh Bacc presentation day, will have to see about going in September.

It'll be interesting to see how it all goes. There were no open days when I went - just interviews and auditions.
sonill is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by wedinflorida View Post
Our son is currently in the middle of his Mocks, and our open days commence at the end of the month and end some time in November. He keeps adding to his list

He wants to study Theoretical Physics, though he did recently get selected for a chemistry taster day at the University of Sheffield and he really enjoyed that.

The universities will
University of Sheffield
University of Manchester
University of Nottingham
Cambridge
Sussex university
Lincoln university

The latter doesn’t have the course he wants, however it’s local to us and could be an option if he doesn’t get his predicted grades.

It’s all new to us and we aren’t sure what open days even entail. He’s very laid back and doesn’t tend to worry.
Hi I’m off the 2019 thread
Open days are just to give you a taster of the uni and area. Look at it like looking for a new house is what we told Ds. Can you see yourself spending 3-4 years there. Can you work in the area if you need to . What’s the offsite accommodation like . Does the course offer what you want compared to other unis . Take notes and photos as they become a blur after a few . What’s the commute home like , time , distance , reliant on parents to collect you? Look at all accommodation types as you really can’t be sure what they will get in some cases. Make a pros and cons then go back for a second visit for the ones you liked. A lot don’t do this but it made us certain and we missed a lot or didn’t notice hints on the first ones . They are living there a long time and it’s a massive investment . But the most important is that they are happy with the choice.they have to live there. I’ve lost count how many of my colleagues friends have gone to uni and ended up coming home in debt as they couldn’t settle. Hope this helps
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
The Duchess
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi we went to Plymouth Marjon last weekend, it is a small uni with small class sizes but we really liked it and it has confirmed her course choice (fingers crossed) Criminology / Forensic investigation. (currently doing Law, Psychology and Photography A Levels)

Loved the smaller campus, still had lots of facilities and opportunities and the lecturer was really passionate about his field.

So far we are booked into open days at:

Royal Holloway
Bournemouth
Brighton
Lincoln

(She went to Kings college London but didn't like it)

I Drive -1990 / Windsor Hills 2008
Vegas - 2014
Spandau in Dubai 40th b day trip - 2015
3 weeks all Star sports\ cabana bay 2016

Edited at 10:26 AM.
The Duchess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wedinflorida View Post

The universities will
University of Sheffield
University of Manchester
University of Nottingham
Cambridge
Sussex university
Lincoln university

My eldest visited Nottingham last year and thought it was great - had one of the best presentations by English departments (don't know about Physics).
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List