Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Sep 19, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
This could be due to their financial issues.
Extra cost is extra revenue, not a lot, but maybe every pound counts
Extra weight effects mikes per gallon, which costs them.

Other airlines also do hand luggage weights and sizes.
I thought about financial issues first too
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by pinkspideruk View Post
dont ba allow 23kg for hand luggage? thats prob why they were taking so much!
Yes they do but it is too much , some passengers had 3 bags or more which spread out across one overhead does mount up .
I saw a couple of fold up strollers as well , but can understand why when the immigration queue can be so long and children get tired .
I honestly wished I had a trunki to sit on !
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
MadHatter1
VIP Dibber

MadHatter1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We always fly hand luggage only, I always make sure our bags will fit inside the allowance both weight and size wise (e.g. which smaller bag has to fit into which larger bag to still be within weight). We have never been stopped though.

Coming back from Tampa this summer we were asked to put our larger hand luggage bags in the hold as they had run out of cabin space. We have no problem doing that, in fact as far as I am concerned I am getting checked bags for free.

I am surprised it has taken this long for airlines to start to check properly though, especially when an airline is facing financial difficulty and some passengers haven't paid for stuff which others have paid for.
2017 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - The Return of Three Jedi
2018 Rosen Inn at Pointe (Int. Dr.), HRH (Uni)>. > - Rogue One
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - 12 Parsecs
MadHatter1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto99
Very Serious Dibber

bout time the rest should check weight and sizes some take the pee and think its an overhead locker just for them
pluto99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
show_the_magic
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I hope other airlines follow suit. So many times I've seen posts on facebook etc asking if they can take a cabin case and a large rucksack (as their personal small bag) as well as checking in suitcases. How much room do people think there is on board?
show_the_magic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Tui checked our hand luggage at Sanford a few years ago. (Don’t know if they still do though.)
They asked to see all the bags and then weighed the larger ones. One bag was slightly overweight but as the others were all small and well under the weight limit it was fine.
GALE88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I am comfortable with the stance of Norwegian and it may have been taken due to passenger complaints. The stance taken seemed rather kind and generous, given that a poster was not penalised for being 20% over .

I flew LGW- Boston and MIA-LGW just a month ago and we were Norwegian, hand luggage out and hold luggage returning for a 3 week vacation.

The rules are well posted and extremely clear. Whilst fully compliant on both size and weights ourselves, it was clear that many others were not. I assisted one lady by placing her bag in the overhead and it must have been well over 15kg as well as too tall. She also had a very large personal item. Clearly if everybody does this, then there will be insufficient space for some who are clearly compliant.

If you break the rules (same as with hold luggage weights), then you must surely know full well that you are doing it. You cannot then complain if the airline carries out a compliance check.

Our 2 internal flights were Delta and United. They didn’t have weight rules, just size. Again we were compliant.

I am afraid that I have very little sympathy for transgressors. At the end of the day, the checking in, movement, loading, unloading and producing of hold luggage costs Norwegian money, payable to contractors. If you don’t use the hold, then they are passing on some of their savings. This does not give anyone a licence to ‘take the Mickey’ ( note the Disneyworld pun).

4 x 10kg, correctly sized bags for a 3 week multi destination vacation. It is easy if you want to.. otherwise pay.

It could be argued successfully that if you are knowingly oversized or overweight, then you are trying to deceive Norwegian Airlines and evade payment that they are entitled to for a service that they provide.. I.e Over 10kg, should be hold baggage and thus paid for.
The offence would be fraud in that you are attempting to evade payment for a service by misrepresentation.

Broad definition of fraud.

Fraud can be broadly defined as the deliberate use of deception or dishonesty to disadvantage or cause loss (usually financial) to another person or party. Definitions of fraud vary from country to country and between legal systems.
In England and Wales fraud can be dealt with through the criminal justice system, the civil justice system, or both.

In England and Wales, criminal fraud is mainly dealt with in the Fraud Act 2006 (FA 2006). The main offences are:
◆ fraud by false
representation;
◆ fraud by failing to disclose
information; and
◆ fraud by abuse of position.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:12 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I pushed the boundary with virgin last week as you are allowed a bad up to 10kg, my was only 5kg max but your "hand bag" should only contain hand bag items. Mine had a fluffy purple cat in it, however it I could have gone under my seat but there was loads of room in the locker.
My actual handbag was very small and fitted inside the bag so still only 2 pieces of items taken on board.
Old 16 Sep 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Norwegian are trying to scrape every little bit of money they can. They should know later today after they beg their bondholder and they vote if they will even be flying tomorrow.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List