Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 23 Feb 20, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
kidsrus
Excited about Disney

Worried about sea sickness

We are thinking of our first ever cruise but I am worried I will not enjoy it as I have always suffered with travel sickness. Normally if I am flying or on a road trip I would use travel sickness pills and although these make me sleepy they do work.
Do you think I would be ok with the tablets on the cruise ? We would be travelling around the Caribbean next March/April time. Any advice appreciated thanks

kidsrus
kidsrus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
My DH suffers terrible sea sickness and these are the only things that work for him:-

sea-band

They are on at the start of a cruise and they don't come off till we get off. He has them on the whole time.
Old 23 Feb 20, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

My husband was really worried but he was fine. He took Avomine at bedtime and he didn't have a problem at all and he has suffered in the past and can't do simulator rides because of his motion sickness.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

My husband was very worried before we ever cruised, having been quite seasick as a child on channel crossings.

But today’s cruise ships are so well stabilised he has sailed four times and never felt sick. The Caribbean tends to have decently smooth sailings, too.
Old 23 Feb 20, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
I suffer from motion sickness and was really worried before we first went on a cruise. However I was pleasantly surprised. Our cruise was a 12 night one, round the Med in the summer, and there was just one day that I had to take my Stugeron.

We’re cruising again at the start of April. Again a 12 night cruise, but this time around the Caribbean. I can let you know how I get on, especially as if will be at a similar time of year as you.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Mrs O takes the non drowsy Kwells. They worked fine last weekend in a force 10 on the Oceana courtesy of Storm Dennis!
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
kidsrus
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
I suffer from motion sickness and was really worried before we first went on a cruise. However I was pleasantly surprised. Our cruise was a 12 night one, round the Med in the summer, and there was just one day that I had to take my Stugeron.

We’re cruising again at the start of April. Again a 12 night cruise, but this time around the Caribbean. I can let you know how I get on, especially as if will be at a similar time of year as you.
That would be great thanks which ship are you travelling on ?

kidsrus
kidsrus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Originally Posted by kidsrus View Post
That would be great thanks which ship are you travelling on ?
We’re on the Celebrity Silhouette, which has just had a refurb. Getting excited now.

Which ship are you thinking about?
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

I get sea sick. Ended up with ginger ale which is awful on the last cruise as I couldn’t stomach anything else.

Will be getting sickness bands and tablets this time
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

My first cruise was a week in the Caribbean in May/June time. We weren’t setting sail until quite late. We’d had dinner and were in the bar when I suddenly felt very sick. It turned out it was only about 10mins after we had left! Spent the evening in the cabin being very sick. Started taking Stugeron that night and took them every 8 hours for the entire week, and felt fine (slightly spaced out, but not sick) the rest of the time.
Next cruise a few years later was to Alaska and I started taking my Stugeron before I even got on the ship. Again took it every 8 hours for a week. All good going up the inside passage and thought I had cruising nailed, until the last day when we came full speed back down the Pacific. Sick all day and vowed I’d never cruise again.
That was 2005 and I haven’t cruised again but we are going on a Disney 4 nighter this April.
Anyone who says you can’t feel these big ships move, it’s not true, at least if you are like me and are very sensitive to motion. But prevention is definitely better than cure so start taking tablets before you even get on the ship to get them in your system and keep taking them the whole cruise.
Good luck. I don’t want to sound like a right Debbie Downer - I love everything about cruising except the motion, but it’s taken me 15 years to pluck up the courage to go on one again as there’s nothing worse than the seasick feeling.

Edited at 11:00 PM.
Geordieprincess is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List