Notices

Old 3 Jul 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieBoot
Very Serious Dibber

We go a couple of times a year with Merlin passes (sons now 15, 10 and daughter 8). Always have fun, although the food options stink.

Edited at 08:24 PM.
PixieBoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Thanks everyone, some food for thought
Old 13 Jul 20, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

We live reasonably close to Alton Towers (actually went for a lovely walk in Alton on Sunday) and go every now and then. It's quite a good day out if you get a decent price and our (then) 9 year old enjoyed it and found enough to occupy himself. I wouldn't pay full price though, or travel for hours to get there.

I'd say Drayton Manor near Tamworth would have more for non thrill riders. or even Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Edited at 07:02 PM.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

We love Alton Towers, in fact we where there on Sunday as a family with children ranging from 4-15 they all have great days out. I on the other hand am still recovering from all the rides haha!
Old 14 Jul 20, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

I think I'm a bit nostalgic about Alton Towers. When I was little, it was a big house, a few rides, beautiful gardens, sea lions and a paddling pool. I remember going up many a time as a kid in the 70s and it was lovely. Even though I do appreciate it now, I do feel it's lost some of the family friendliness it had in those days. I wish they'd gone more down the Disney family experience route than embraced the thrill ride route so fully. It's a shame they don't do a non-riders ticket for those who would just want to go and enjoy the surroundings and the gardens. There were lots of OAPS round us who used to love going up for the day and they don't see the value any more.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by holidaysaver75 View Post
I think I'm a bit nostalgic about Alton Towers. When I was little, it was a big house, a few rides, beautiful gardens, sea lions and a paddling pool. I remember going up many a time as a kid in the 70s and it was lovely. Even though I do appreciate it now, I do feel it's lost some of the family friendliness it had in those days. I wish they'd gone more down the Disney family experience route than embraced the thrill ride route so fully. It's a shame they don't do a non-riders ticket for those who would just want to go and enjoy the surroundings and the gardens. There were lots of OAPS round us who used to love going up for the day and they don't see the value any more.
The issue with that is that there are so many family theme parks in the U.K. and not many offer real, world class thrill rides .
I think Alton towers has quite a good balance
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Alton Towers is great. Lots of variety intense rides (which are fine), middle range, spinning rides and the newest area which is for pre-schoolers. Nemisis is still one of the best rides in the world. I would prefer this to Spinball whizzer which is family targeted😊
There will be plenty for a 12 year old to do, if average height, he should be able to try anything.👍
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
Alton Towers is great. Lots of variety intense rides (which are fine), middle range, spinning rides and the newest area which is for pre-schoolers. Nemisis is still one of the best rides in the world. I would prefer this to Spinball whizzer which is family targeted😊
There will be plenty for a 12 year old to do, if average height, he should be able to try anything.👍
I could ride nemesis all day ,I love it .
Spin ball makes me feel dreadful ! 🤢
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

I think its by far the best theme park in the UK. We always have a great day and its excellent for all ages. It has a great range of thrill rides but also family rides for those who don't enjoy the bigger rides. Then they have loads for the little ones. Its great, clean and we have always had a fabulous time on every visit. 👍

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by holidaysaver75 View Post
My daughter laughs at me when I say as a child in the 1970’s we used to go to Alton Towers to look round the gardens ! We went last year and all I did was hold bags. I don’t do big rides and there was nothing really for me to do. At least in Blackpool you only have a small entrance fee if you don’t go on the rides. Daughter and husband will go on anything though and they loved it !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List