Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 16 Aug 20, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Jagnew
Gone all Goofy

Villa owners not refunding money?

Anyone else finding villa owners not refunding money after being unable to fly this year? Our seem to have done a bunk and not returning emails or calls
Jagnew is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My Dibb villa owner provided me with a full refund which was great and much appreciated however, I know many have not been so lucky.

If you can get an invoice or some sort of letter from the villa owner to prove you have paid then you could attempt to get this money back from your travel insurer.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

We didn’t get our deposit back and couldn’t change the dates as they are selling the villa.
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
We didn’t get our deposit back and couldn’t change the dates as they are selling the villa.
Not good. I think going forward people will book package holidays or other ways which offer protection. AirBNB etc
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jagnew View Post
Anyone else finding villa owners not refunding money after being unable to fly this year? Our seem to have done a bunk and not returning emails or calls
Have you read the terms and conditions of your rental. It is not the owners fault if the villa is available to you but you have through no fault of theres been unable to use it. You should be making an insurance claim
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
g1970
Imagineer

g1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
My villa owner initially wanted me to claim via insurance, however, when i checked the rental agreement, there was a clause about deposit refund in full if cancelling more than 8 week before arrival.

She refunded when i pointed this out but suffice to say, the rental agreement has now been changed.

I'd have been quite happy to rebook but the dates are not available for next year.

Have you paid in full or just a deposit? What does rental agreement say? As already mentioned, you may need to claim via your insurance
g1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Jagnew
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
My Dibb villa owner provided me with a full refund which was great and much appreciated however, I know many have not been so lucky.

If you can get an invoice or some sort of letter from the villa owner to prove you have paid then you could attempt to get this money back from your travel insurer.
I have proof of payment through VRBO.com and have just put in a claim to my insurance. Owner had agreed to move my booking to next July once I got flights sorted and has now stopped answering emails so I have to assume they are not going to honour their promise
Jagnew is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Have you read the terms and conditions of your rental. It is not the owners fault if the villa is available to you but you have through no fault of theres been unable to use it. You should be making an insurance claim
A bit harsh. All hotels, airport parking have refunded whether they had to or not. It’s good business practice.

How many people would rebook with owners who have not provided any flexibility?

It would be useful if the Dibb could highlight owners that offer full cancellation protection. Most t&c’s can run in to many pages
Old 16 Aug 20, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post

The villa we booked (UK owner, but not a Dibb villa) was as flexible as they could be, offering free date changes and delaying the balance payment for as long as possible. Ultimately we couldn't make those arrangements work so I cancelled the booking and lost my deposit payment, which was absolutely reasonable and I don't have any complaints. We claimed the deposit payment back under our travel insurance, which was a full refund minus £40 excess.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Jagnew
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by g1970 View Post
My villa owner initially wanted me to claim via insurance, however, when i checked the rental agreement, there was a clause about deposit refund in full if cancelling more than 8 week before arrival.

She refunded when i pointed this out but suffice to say, the rental agreement has now been changed.

I'd have been quite happy to rebook but the dates are not available for next year.

Have you paid in full or just a deposit? What does rental agreement say? As already mentioned, you may need to claim via your insurance
We paid in full. I understand it is not the villa owners decision to shutdown the country but it makes my blood boil to think some are happily sitting back with god knows how much of renters money in their bank accounts and they think it is perfectly okay for them to keep it