Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Sep 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Hair dye advice for teens

Hi. My 13 yr old wants to dye her dark brown hair, black. Never been dyed before and I don't dye mine, so no experience.

My suggestion of a wash in wash out to try did not go down well. School allow natural colours so wouldn't break rules.

Looking at boots, lots not suitable for under 16. Wondered if any dibbers had experience with teen dying hair, and recommendations of good products. Is a semi permanent more suitable for younger age.

Not sure whether our hairdesser would do it, and worried about doing something ourselves at the moment in case we weren't able to get to a hairdresser for any remedial work.

Thanks,
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I asked hairdresser, they said they wouldnt do DD until she was 16!
Old 18 Sep 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

I dye my hair religiously every 3 weeks. Personally I wouldn't dye DD hair unitl much older and left school.

It ruins your hair and your have to grow it out.

If I was to do it, I'd definitely find a hair dresser.
Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My dd had had balayage from about 13, but that’s lighter ends which is good because it doesn’t go on the roots and just grows out. I wouldn’t home dye it black because if it’s not fully covered it might not go well.
Old 18 Sep 20, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
My teen is 14 and in the last year has been pink, red, purple and blue. She just stripped it last night as the blue had gone a bit strange and looks like blond highlights through her light brown hair now. The hairdresser who occasionally cuts it won't dye it until she is over 16 but says as long as she conditions it well and gives it a break between colouring unlikley to do long term damage.

Most have been Live by Schwarzkopt semi-permanent although I think it does say age 16 plus on the box. If her hair is long though you may need 2 boxes. I would mention though that if it's anything like the other colours the black is unlikely to look completely "natural" so may break her school rules. Luckily DD's school doesn't have a hair code

ps If you does go ahead make sure she does a strand test, wears an old t-shirt, uses an old towel and use vaseline round her hairline.

Edited at 09:33 PM.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Going from dark brown to black doesn’t sound like a big jump but it is quite drastic.
My daughters friend dyed hers at 15 and it made her look ill. Looked nice when she had tan & make up on, but as they were not allowed in school she looked washed out.
I have no idea how she got rid of the colour (i doubt it was permanent) but now she uses a semi permanent colour called iced coffee and it is gorgeous!
Its a very deep, dark brown and it shines amazingly. Its also very flattering to her skin tone (not pale, not dark).
So I would try a semi permanent dark drown, chocolate brown or iced coffee. Colour always goes darker than advertised on the box. X x
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
A decent hairdresser won’t touch it till she’s 16 as their insurance won’t allow it ..

Personally I would discourage it , she’s pretty young to be dying her hair and it can easily ruin hair

Black can also make you look pretty washed out .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I’ve dyed my dd hair this summer although she is 17 (bleach to strip colour and then Dyed blue) , I also dyed mine when young. When she was 14 and 15 she had ombré at the hairdressers but they were very careful and would only do it because it was nowhere near her scalp, just the ends.
13 is quite young but if you are happy to go ahead I would go semi permanent as they wash out gradually, however it is REALLY important to do the skin test and read all the instructions very carefully in advance. It’s much easier to put a darker colour on than go lighter so it shouldn’t be too difficult. There are loads of videos on you tube, I’d have a look before you make a decision, however I’m sure there will be some professional hairdressers on here who are more qualified than me to comment.
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’ve been dying my hair since 12 and I am 56 and still have loads of hair, the hairdressers complain everytime I go! I let dd dye hers from 13 and she has lovely thick hair.
Old 18 Sep 20, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Black is pretty full on and it’s difficult to change /get rid of when you decide you don’t like it anymore which I did a lot as a teen .
I am naturally blond but have an olive skin tone so I dyed my hair a really dark brown ,almost black and it looked fab , then decided I’d go the whole hog and dye it completely black and it was so harsh looking.
Took months to get it to a normal looking shade again so agree with maybe just trying a really dark brown semi permanent first .

Edited at 11:26 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List