Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Sep 20, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

Respite care is it still available ? Help please

Just enquiring for MIL ... FIL has dementia she is 85 and of sound mind but is totally exhausted looking after him she could do with him been in respite for a week 10 days but not sure with how things are at the moment if this is an option ,...if so how would she go about it we do know she will have to pay but willing to do so to give her a rest any help or advise welcome
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

I don't know if it's available but I would ask Social Services how to arrange it.
jndt is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Your in-laws will need Social Services assessments. Or a care home may take on private individuals. He would need to isolate beforehand though so I don’t know how that would work.
Old 20 Sep 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
No need for social services assessment as you are not expecting this without payment just a case of finding a care home which can provide it. That is difficult in a non Covid world ( personal experience with my Dad before he died) but probably even harder now. Generally it is a case of ringing round all the local private care homes.

Good luck I know how hard it is caring for someone with dementia.
vhm672 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

I've been looking after DH since lockdown with no help.
We have a local rehab team based at the hospital I phoned them when I got a really bad back a week ago. They are now coming in every morning for an hour to get DH up and ready.
It's a free service so I'd maybe phone and ask your GP if there's a similar service.
I know our local hospice is no longer offering respite.
Feebee2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

Have you looked into Continuing healthcare for help with care costs.
This is when the NHS pays for the care costs and is not means tested.
The district nurses know more about it than anyone else.
Its not an easy process but worth it if you qualify.
Feebee2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
corey1
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I'm in Scotland so not sure if other parts of the country are different. I think it can be difficult to get routine respite due to covid but contacting social work and trying for emergency respite due to carer stress may be the way to go. Care homes here that I know of would need someone to ideally get two negative covid tests and the person usually has to stay in own room for two weeks
corey1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

I would start with social services. They should know the position re covid for your area, and if you are entitled to financial help from theblocal authority, they will need to make a referral for a financial assessment. Also, it could be that there maybe a need for some care at home to help too. Brokerage dept of the local authority via the social worker should know of bed availabilty too.
Old 20 Sep 20, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Similar situation to you, MIL has dementia, FIL 83 and really struggling throughout lockdown. We’re in Scotland. GP did a referral to social work. No respite option atm but they’re sending someone to the house twice a week to spend time with her to give FIL a break.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List