Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Oct 20, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Midges17
Apprentice Imagineer

I also got the leaflet today & had I not read this yesterday I would have probably binned it thinking it was more junk leaflets!
Old 13 Oct 20, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Midges17 View Post
I also got the leaflet today & had I not read this yesterday I would have probably binned it thinking it was more junk leaflets!
It is a junk leaflet. Its a sales pitch from a company. The difference is that it contained information about legal changes to fire alarms in Scottish homes that no-one seemed to know about.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

Here is a link to the Scottish Gov website and includes details etc.

gov.scot/publications/fi...cottish-homes/

Clearly the Scottish government are applying it existing homes !

If you don't comply then I think the House Insurance will be the biggest issue in the event of a fire claim !
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Dinglebert View Post
I have taken the plunge and bought was I need to comply. As its Amazon prime day and I have credit with them they had just what I needed. I bought Fire Angel pro equipment which is 10 year battery interconnected. They have them at £37.49 each instead of £50+.

The post was not intended to be political either small or big p. The new law was introduced directly as a consequence of Grenfell. Its pretty much unenforcable for owner occupied houses until it comes time to sell when the house report will require it.

It will be enforceable much more easily for tennanted properties.

The insurance question is more difficult as it depends on the questions asked by individual companies. However given insurance companies look for angles not to pay then I imagine they will insist that all legal requirements are met.
Thanks, I’ve just ordered three smoke alarms and a heat alarm . Just as well we can’t go on holiday .

I knew about this months ago as worked at an event the fire brigade attended and one of them told me about the new regs. With everything going on I’d completely forgotten.

No doubt insurance companies will use it to their advantage.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Originally Posted by cheekydeeky View Post
Thanks, I’ve just ordered three smoke alarms and a heat alarm . Just as well we can’t go on holiday .

I knew about this months ago as worked at an event the fire brigade attended and one of them told me about the new regs. With everything going on I’d completely forgotten.

No doubt insurance companies will use it to their advantage.
I was completely unaware. It’s odd I do the annual fire nhs lectures and they have not mentioned this at all. To put that into context the fire talks end up being about unplugging your TV at night rather than about fires in hospital. It has the potential to be very big nationally, but until yesterday I knew nothing about it and neither has anyone else I have spoken to.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

The thing that I find bizarre about this is that they claim it follows the Grenfell fire, however the bad outcome at Grenfell was nothing to do with Smoke detectors but poor building design (cladding) and bad instructions to the residents to stay inside their flats when fire alarms were going off !
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
fefifoe
Apprentice Imagineer

fefifoe's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
thanks for posting this - knew nothing about it , have posted it on my FB and so far no one else knew about it either. We have hardwired smoke alarms in our house already but not interlinked so looks like I need to replace all of ours and add a heat detector
Old 14 Oct 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Originally Posted by kiwiinabd View Post
The thing that I find bizarre about this is that they claim it follows the Grenfell fire, however the bad outcome at Grenfell was nothing to do with Smoke detectors but poor building design (cladding) and bad instructions to the residents to stay inside their flats when fire alarms were going off !
Yes but the Grenfell fire caused a massive rethink on fire safety. While the cause was cladding as part of the investigation they would cover all aspects of fire safety.
Old 14 Oct 20, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
So Amazon delivered the 3 smoke one heat today and have messed up. Two of the smoke are still by FireAngel but a different model. still does 10 year and interconnect but not the same model.

I phone Amazon who are usually good and got the person who wasn't. Wanted me to drive 20 miles to nearest hermes to return as they no longer have stock of the one I need. I objected and he must of acccidently hung up.

I phoned Fire Angel to ask if they were compatible and was told yes. Its just the model they sent two of would not connect to a hub if I wanted to control them via the phone (which I don't). Not paying £30 for a hub.

Back to Amazon and got good person who said they would give maximum 30% back off the cost price. I check if that was entire or or just the two. They stated just the two. I declined and oddly his maximum went to 40%. Took it. Managed to get the four needed for just under £90 so while not overly delighted at having to buy them at least I now have what it needed at a resonable price.
Old 14 Oct 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Perthite
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by MOUSEMARSH View Post
Shocking sales tactics in my opinion.
Brilliant sales tactics actually!

And whoever this company is, they have done an awful lot more to make households aware of the legislation than the Scottish Government has!

Like most people, I’d never heard of it until the leaflet arrived and with only a few months until it comes into force, that’s a poor state of affairs and something has gone wrong somewhere. I’d have expected an official leaflet at least a year ahead of implementation, with further reminders. I’m sure they’ll do something but it’s very late in the day already.
Perthite is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List