Laura_<3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 249
The One With The Wedding - Laura & Steven July 2015 - Day 1

Day 1
Travel Day!

Travel day was finally upon us! After a very busy day yesterday (visiting relatives, dropping off the rabbit, still packing at 11pm!) we had both managed to have a great sleep and woke up around 6.30am. My dad wasn’t picking us up until 8.15am so we still had plenty of time. I was strangely relaxed. Normally I’m feeling sick with nerves, getting upset about flying and shaking like a leaf, but I was totally fine and ready for the off!

8.15am was soon here which meant dad was here to collect us. We locked up and made our way to my parents’ house to meet the rest of the gang. Everyone was in high spirits.

The taxi arrived at 9am and got us to Newcastle Airport for 9.40am. Check-in had not long been open and we were third in the premium check-in queue. I had my first ‘wobble’ in the queue but composed myself by the time we got to the front.

All was going well until the lady asked which one of us was Amy. My sister stepped forward – she was told she had been selected for a secondary search which meant her case had to be searched and then she had to be searched at the gate before boarding the plane. Everyone else’s cases went through but we had to take Amy’s to a separate area for the search. We said farewell to Amy’s suitcase as it was opened and searched. She was in a right panic that it wouldn’t be there on the other side, bless her. I must admit, I would feel the same.

We then went through the fast track security queue, which wasn’t really necessary but was included in the price of the premium upgrade. Again, everyone (and their bags) got through the other side ok except for my hand luggage bag and Amy’s hand luggage bag. They were put on the floor and left. We were all stood looking around for someone to tell us what was happening as the lady who pulled them off was busy continuing to watch the other passenger’s bags on monitor. Around 5 minutes had passed when a security man came over. He was told to search another passenger’s bag first, which was right as she was waiting before us. As soon as he opened her bag (which was a cabin sized suitcase), literally everything flew out – shoes, underwear, hats, and skirts…cringe!

15 minutes later, he got to my bag and Amy’s bag. He took everything out of both bags, swabbed them and said they were good to go. I have no idea what the issue was or what she had seen (and didn’t really want to ask) but eventually all 7 of us were through and could relax again.

Mam and Amy went to Burger King to get Amy some fries then we all headed down to the Aspire Lounge, which was another thing included in the premium upgrade.

The lounge was lovely; it was nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of the airport. All food and drink was included, between us we had bacon sandwiches, orange juice, a few beers, cheese and crackers, cereals, yoghurts, biscuits.

Our flight was called at 12.10pm. The nerves hit Amy as she remembered she was getting searched at the gate; we did our best to calm her down. When we got to the gate it was packed but we were ushered to the premium cabin area where there was no line. Amy’s boarding pass had a blue spot so when they checked hers she was pulled to one side, everyone else had to go ahead and wait outside by the shuttle bus. She came over after approximately 30 seconds; it was only a quick pat down. We boarded the bus which took us to our Dreamliner.

We were all very impressed with the flight and the service received in the premium cabin. It’s the first time my family have travelled premium and I don’t think this will be the last. The leg room was fantastic, the seats seemed a lot comfier than last time and the staff were so lovely. For the first time I was actually enjoying a flight and had forgotten about my fear of flying!

9 hours later we landed in a rainy Sanford. We were one of the first off the plane and into a very empty immigration area (score! ). All that happiness soon dwindled away.

We were shown to the immigration desk and waited behind the line until we were called for. Steven and I went through first – no problems. Next through was Nathan on his own – no problems. The three of us went through to the baggage reclaim area to get a head start of collecting the bags. This didn’t happen – the Birmingham flight that had landed before us were still waiting for their bags to come off and Sanford were going to use the same baggage belt for the Newcastle flight. We had to keep back and wait.

We waited around 15-20 minutes and during this time I wondered where my family was. I assumed that maybe they had gone to the toilet or were sitting in the seats further back after seeing us waiting.

Eventually we were told to come forward as our bags were coming through now. I looked around and saw my dad and Amy coming through from the immigration area, but they kept turning round and looking back. My mam and Adam weren’t there. Major panic. I ran straight over and asked where they were. My dad said Adam had been asked to go into one of the offices and mam had gone with him. Nathan said he had noticed other people being taken into offices too and told me not to worry.

An announcement was made to say that the rain had gotten heavier and due to this the bags would not be coming through as it’s not safe for the staff to be out there. We waited a further 40 minutes, also, still no Adam or mam. I was in a right state by this point.

After another 10 minutes of waiting we could finally breathe a sigh of relief, Adam and mam came through. I cried with joy, Amy cried. Adam, being Adam, didn’t understand why we were so worried. It was a case of mistaken identity. A man with the same name, same age and of similar build/appearance is currently on the run so they had to question Adam before they could let him through. Mam was in a flap because they had told her that Adam would have to stay the night at the airport if they don’t get it sorted today. Luckily it was resolved after nearly an hour of questioning. Poor Adam.

At this time the bags started coming through. Adam went over to help Steven and Nathan whilst dad tried to calm me down. During this time, a young lad was sick all over the floor – right by my feet. Dad then went on a mission to find the boy’s parents, which he did.

After another 10 minutes we had 6 out of 7 suitcases – they came through one after the other. There was only one we were waiting for – Amy’s. Amy was again in tears saying her case was lost because it had to be searched and that she would have no clothes. Not long after, Nathan came through with Amy’s suitcase. We left the airport and dad said to us we needed to put the bad start behind us, the holiday was now underway 

I went into the Thomson welcome centre to collect our welcome pack. We were taken to our shuttle bus which was operated by Mears, our bags were loaded and we picked our seats on the empty coach. The driver said we were only waiting for 2 more families. Not long after we boarded the remaining families arrived and we were on our way. There were 3 stops – Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista, POR and POFQ. We were so glad it wasn’t going to be a mega long transfer with loads of stops!

We set off and were flying down the 417 toll road when the driver says over the microphone ‘has anyone seen my manifest and cell phone?’ we all look around at each other, tired, hungry…The driver apologies and says he needs to return to the airport to collect his belongings.

We landed at 4.10pm (20 minutes early) and didn’t arrive at POR until 8.30pm. On arrival at POR, I went over to the online check-in area as I had already checked in all three rooms. The CM could only find record of one room (my room), despite my confirmation that all three had been checked in. He said it didn’t matter and he could do it for me. Our rooms had all been allocated and we were next door to each other in Magnolia Terrace (8712, 8713 and 8714).

When booking with Thomson they had put my sister in my room with me and Steven. I told the agent at the time that she needed to be in with my parents. The agent said it could be resolved when we checked in. I even followed up with an email to the agency who replied advising it would need to be sorted in resort. For some reason I believed them and mentioned this to the CM who was checking us in. He said it would not be possible unless we cancelled our booking and re-booked it. At this point I broke down in tears (again). Not sure why, maybe I was just so tired. The poor CM just looked at me and apologised. I told him it wasn’t his fault and my mam explained that we have had a long, stressful day and need some sleep. I apologised to the CM for crying to which he said he can see that we have a wedding booked too; he said he’s planning his wedding and understands the stress involved. I wasn’t stressed about the wedding but I thanked him anyway for his understanding. He really was lovely. I said Amy would be in mam and dad’s room but would have to remember that she can’t open their door. We were given our Magic Bands, directions to our rooms and we were on our way.

Our rooms were lovely – exactly where I had requested to be - top floor mansion rooms and all next door to each other. If we had been given bottom floor bayou rooms all apart from each other I think I would have flipped!

Me and Steven changed into our swimming gear then headed over to the food court. We found Adam and Nathan were already there. They told me they had both been charged their food and Nathan had bought a refillable mug. I had to go back over to the CM that had served them and explain they were on the QSDP. The CM didn’t seem to understand the QSDP and said it was right that they had paid for the food and the mug. He brought a manager over and I explained the situation to her. She understood, apologised and refunded Adam and Nathan.

I just wanted the day to end!

Me and Steven got a pizza and took it back to our room. Shortly after we went down to the pool with Amy, but we weren’t there very long. We were all so tired; we called it a night at 10.30pm.

Tomorrow: Visiting the courthouse, DTD and DHS

Edited at 05:09 PM.
Laura_<3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Wow - what an eventful travel day. Will be glad to read the rest once you have put this behind you and settled into the good stuff! Look forward to more

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Mobile

Long day! Few bumps but you got there! We were also a long time from airport to por and were beyond tired! Bit scary at airport?! Thank goodness all was well x
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Antigua08
Very Serious Dibber

Wow what a stressful travel day, not what you need!

Looking forward to reading more
2006 - Windsor Palms Villa, 2011 - Windsor Palms Villa, 2015 - Windsor Palms Villa, 2017 - AKL
Antigua08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Dissie
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
What a stressful day. Looking forward to next instalment. I hope it gets less stressful.
Old 31 Aug 15, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

What a long, stressful day for you. Hope you sleep well and look forward to reading along. X
Old 31 Aug 15, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
lindyT
Apprentice Imagineer

Stressful journey,but exciting times to come! Looking forward to reading more, Linda
lindyT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Aw you poor thing. What a first day!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahc
VIP Dibber

sarahc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
What a stressful day! I hope things improved for you...
Old 31 Aug 15, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
BelleRapunzel
Helping Mickey

That was an eventful and stressful day but amazing to be there despite it all I guess. Can't wait to read more!xx
BelleRapunzel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List