Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 24 Mar 18, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

I think 8 days in Cairns is probably 4 days too many, having stayed there in 2010 and 2015. Also stayed in Port Douglas for 5 nights in 2010 which was probably 3 nights too many. Thought it was the Australian version of Great Yarmouth, without the pleasure beach and amusement arcades! Sydney, however, I love. So much to do see and do, could easily stay there for 2 weeks and not be bored.
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 18, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

The best thing to do in Cairns will be the Segway Tour -http://www.segwaycairns.com/

The reason I'm saying this is because my brother-in-law owns it!

Also don't miss the reef (obviously) and the Kuranda cable car and train.

We went out to Cape Tribulation for a couple of nights, which I recommend.

8 Days is a little long for Cairns itself, but there
Old 28 Mar 18, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
TheDales
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Emmie2016 View Post
we were thinking of travelling out to both Port Douglas and Gold coast We didn't want to jump around too much
Cairns to the Gold Coast will be around a 20 hour drive.
When we were in Brisbane we thought we could take a day trip to cairns until we found out that it would involve an overnight train. Distances in OZ are vast.
TheDales is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
redredshopper
Imagineer

7 days would be too long for Sydney for me and I wasn't that impressed with Bondi beach, preferred Manly. We also flew into Cairns and drove up to Port Douglas for 7 days in, I really enjoyed it as it was our 'relaxing part' of our trip.
Old 15 May 18, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I live in Sydney so happy to answer any questions for you. I think a week in Cairns is to long tbh. There is lots to do within a couple of hours drive of Sydney. The Hunter valley (vineyards) are only a 2hr drive away. Blue Mountauns even less. And the South Coast road is a spectacular drive and a nice day trip from Sydney. Taronga Zoo is lovely, but there is a wildlife park called Featherdale where you can pet tame kangaroos and stroke a koala. Everyone who visits us always loves Featherdale jusy because its so "hands on"
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 18, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

We did 2 nights at Bondi beach, first night was arrival at 10pm and it was a bit nearer than Sydney to airport. We enjoyed relaxing on the beach for a day and ahalf before moving to Sydney. Enjoyed Sydney took the ferry to Manly then back at dusk to see the views from the water whilst approching the city, really lovely.
We had a trip to the Blue Mountains which included the Olympic stadium and a zoo.
We went to the Hunter wine valley.
Also got tickets to see Olivia Newton John at the Opera House, a highlight of the holiday.
We then flew to Coffs Harbour to stay with friends, they then drove us to the Gold Coast, loved it here.
We then drove to Brisbane, spent a few days here visited Steve Irwins zoo.
Flew to Cairns, picked up a car and drove to Port Douglas. Did the reef and a rainforest tour.We were there 5n wished it was a bit less and would preferred longer at the Gold Coast.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 18, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
JackyH
Imagineer

JackyH's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

My son, his partner and my grandson live in Sydney. They live in the Mosman area. It’s a fabulous city with lots to do and explore. The zoo is amazing with fantastic views over the city. Manley I love. Good shopping and just walking around and soaking up the atmosphere. Dolphin and whale watching out from the harbour. Climb the bridge. Also visited the Hunter valley. Very interesting lots of wineries about. Visited Cairns as well. Kuranga a d the railway well worth a visit and also Green Island. Stayed a few days in Singapore which was brilliant as well. Am sure you will find lots to see and do.
Old 17 May 18, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Sydney this morning on the Pyrmont Ferry to the city 😊🌞

#dailycommute

Edited at 10:07 PM.
Old 18 May 18, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by laurad107 View Post
I used to live in Sydney. I’d agree with featherdale. I never loved Bondi. I was a northern beaches girl. Manly is nice and you’ve got to go to Palm Beach.
I love the rocks too. Is the Australian hotel still there Tippytoes? Loved having a beer and pizza there.
The opera bar is a must too.
The Australian Hotel is still going strong. The rocks is always fantastic, especially of an evening when they have the night markets on. The has been a huge injection into the barangaroo area now, lots of new bars and restaurants, so its no longer just a walkway between darling harbour and circular quay, its a whole entertainment area in its own right now. Darling harbour is still buzzing especially at weekends.
Opera bar is still an old favourite, the view! Absolutely unbeatable! Even though I live here I still feel like Im on holiday whenever I sit on the Opera bar terrace with a bottle of Rosè 😊

Old 23 May 18, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

Sydney - your of opera house, centre point tower at sunset, bridge climb, ferry around harbour, darling harbour, botanic gardens, craft market near bridge. Day trip to Blue Mountains
Cairns- balloon flight, cape tribulation trip, train up and cable car back down mountain, sorry can't remember name. Aboriginal centre at base.
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List