Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Feb 18, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post

New trip, less planning time!

Hi everyone,

I was last really active on this site back in 2014/15 when me, DH and four teens (well - three teens and 1 slightly older, but it still felt like four teens) took a three week trip to Orlando in Jul / Aug, and did ... almost everything, or so it felt. I had 18 months lead planning time that time - this time I have less than five. I know that's very doable, I just like to have more time, lol.

This year, we have been looking at holidays in Europe, but we really have a hankering for Orlando again, so I'm going to see if I can possibly make it happen. We're looking at the last two weeks in July, so quite a peak time again. Flying indirect from Belfast (most likely). We were looking at staying at one of the most reasonable Disney hotels (All Stars Music) but it's still pricey, so I'm looking at other better value options, either condos / townhouses / villas CLOSE to Disney with car hire (I do have a fair idea about these having stayed in Windsor Palms last time) or an alternative hotel with a really good shuttle service (about which I have NO idea).

We're thinking that we would JUST do Disney this time (we were amazed last time as we thought Disney would be less appealing to them all than Universal etc., but actually Disney was still the big hit (ages 14 thru 21).

So ... with parents in their early 50s, 24yo DD, 21yo DS and twin 17yo DSs ... what would you choose in terms of accommodation with a good balance of keeping costs reasonable vs convenience for a Disney only two week trip?

Good to be back!
Lesley
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

with all of you being adults/older teens, villa or condo with car hire, no question. You'll really appreciate the space, flexibility and freedom.

5 months is ages to plan a trip - I think we had 6 first time we went in August 2015 .
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Thank you Sammy, lol, I know it's plenty of time, I'm just the type who likes to have it all booked and settled a year in advance.
Old 18 Feb 18, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post

I'd say a villa with pool for your family group. We've been staying in the Four Corners area for years, usually in Lindfields. When we had a group of 5 adults and two young children we had a beautiful six bedroomed villa on Emerald Island. It gave us all the space we needed
Old 18 Feb 18, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

We are big fans of a villa holiday. We love the space and having our own pool. It's been about a 20 min drive to Disney which isn't an issue for us. We also like eating off site.
Take a look at some of the gorgeous Dibb villas.
Old 18 Feb 18, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Someone has just posted that they have booked Direct Belfast flights for £464 in August - that’s a bargain I hope you manage to get some
Old 18 Feb 18, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Suffolk dad
Very Serious Dibber

Effectively 5 adults, so either 1 very crowded hotel room, 2 hotel rooms or a villa with plenty of space.

I know what I’d be booking...

Enjoy your planning
Suffolk dad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
Someone has just posted that they have booked Direct Belfast flights for £464 in August - that’s a bargain I hope you manage to get some
We saw those, but unfortunately the dates don't suit. We are pretty much stuck to the last half of July. The direct flights then seem to be at least £300 more.
Old 18 Feb 18, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
CheshireCaty
Apprentice Imagineer

There are some very nice 3 bed condos around but given the age/ size of your party, I’d probably suggest a villa. I would think the cost is going to be cheaper than 2 rooms in a hotel or multiple condos and with the make up of your party, I would imagine everyone will want their own space.
In terms of villa locations, as you say you’re familiar having travelled before and so as you probably know, the 192 area is going to be your best bet in terms of proximity to WDW.
If you were looking at condos, Bonnet Creek has good reviews and is practically on property, although I’ve always found it quite expensive for our dates.
WDW - 92, 93, 95, 97, 00 x2, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09 x2, 10, 11 x2, 12, 13, 14, 15 x2, 17 x2, 18, 19 x 2, 22--- DLP - 95, 01, 03, 06, 11, 14, 18, 19—- Disney Cruise - 2012 - Bahamas, 13 - Med, 15 - 15n EBTA, 16 - Alaska, 19 - Northern Europe.
"You may have noticed I'm not all there myself" -
CheshireCaty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by CheshireCaty View Post
There are some very nice 3 bed condos around but given the age/ size of your party, I’d probably suggest a villa. I would think the cost is going to be cheaper than 2 rooms in a hotel or multiple condos and with the make up of your party, I would imagine everyone will want their own space.
In terms of villa locations, as you say you’re familiar having travelled before and so as you probably know, the 192 area is going to be your best bet in terms of proximity to WDW.
If you were looking at condos, Bonnet Creek has good reviews and is practically on property, although I’ve always found it quite expensive for our dates.
Thank you. I just had a look but Bonnet Creek are quoting over $5k for a TWO bed condo that they claim fits up to 8 people. I'm getting quotes of under £1k for 3 bed condos at Windsor Palms or Windsor Heights.

Yes, ideally, the kids would want to stay in the same 4 bed villa we did last time (or in a Disney Hotel), but they know that if we want to go to Orlando, we are going to have to cut corners, and they're up for sharing rooms as necessary.

Lesley